Thomas Dolby's 'She Blinded Me With Science' and Gary Numan's 'Cars' are off the hook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
She Blinded Me With Science.

Cars.

OFF. THE. HOOK.

Appreciate them in all their synthesized, robotic, trippy, geeky, 80s glory.

Cars is AWESOME.

It was on the very first rock n roll album I got: Rock 80, issued by the infamous K-Tel. I was 7. My cool aunt got it for me. My mom was less than thrilled (I think her exact words were: "Gee thanks, Vicky.").

It ruled.

I downloaded Gary Numan's Pleasure Principle a few weeks back. On first and second listens, the album is too robotic for me. 17 tracks! :crack:

I still remember skating around the roller rink in my hometown to "Cars."

Yes, I'm that old.

Rock musicians simply weren't doing that kind of stuff back in 1979 or 1980 or whenever it was - at least none I'd ever listened to growing up in Hicksville, USA.

Gary Numan rules!

I think that I will nominate "Safety Dance" as the epitome of 80's music. To me it takes precedence over either of the songs mentioned in the subject of this thread.

No...

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich

^ That is a classic 80's tune. :wink:

Anything by Men at Work really.

When I say that I mean the only 3 songs they did, Down Under, Who Can It Be Now?, and the underrated Be Good Johnny.

"She Blinded With Me With Science." :up: It's a fun love with song with science elements in in it! How, I love SCIENCE! ;) :happy:

I remember when these songs came out. And I saw Gary Numan live at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium back around 1982-83. :up:

Colin Hay's solo stuff is really good, especially that track on the Garden State soundtrack.

I'm kind of done with a few 80s songs, and "She Blinded Me With Science" is one of them.

However, one of Dolby's albums was called Aliens Ate My Buick, and you just can't top that.

a-ha's "Take On Me" defines the 80s pretty well. Great synth hook, great melody, memorable video.

One of my other 80s faves is Paul Young's "Come Back and Stay". Great stuff!

I'm telling you, it's all about Come Back and Stay!

When I got the Live Aid DVDs, I was in love with his performance - I'd forgotten he was, you know, actually good.

Well, at least a really good performer. He sold that stuff, and worked the stage in an awesome fashion.

Back
Top Bottom