This thread does not have a title.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laura M

Blue Crack Addict
Because I know you will read this anyway and meh Im lazy ;)

Anyhoo I would like some book recommendations as I have been reading a lot this week due to sheer boredom of summer holidays and bad weather

I read Shadowlands and 84 Charing Cross Road
Matilda by Roald Dahl
Little Women for like the 4th time
Dracula
Frankenstein
And im *attempting* to read LOTR..personally I find it dull and boring
Oh and im also going to re-re read The Harry Potter series

Any suggestions? :)

:lol: OMG, you're really bored, poor Lara! :lol:
Ummmm......I have no suggestions in the moment, but I'll think about a good book to read-------wait what about the bible? :question: Or The Screwtape Letters? In my summer holidays ( :rolleyes: ) I'm going to read it for the third time again......

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer, there's a sequel out now too, entitled The Arctic Incident. Excellent Fantasy

Personally I think you're mad thinking LOTR is dull, but stick with it, it can be a little hard to get into, but its worth it.

I'm reading a lot too now being on holiday, I'm just starting Ian Rankin's Rebus series of detective novels.

FallingStar said:
:lol: OMG, you're really bored, poor Lara! :lol:
Ummmm......I have no suggestions in the moment, but I'll think about a good book to read-------wait what about the bible? :question: Or The Screwtape Letters? In my summer holidays ( :rolleyes: ) I'm going to read it for the third time again......

Uh....im not THAT bored ye know.....reading *can* be fun ;)

Me....read the bible again....i had to study bible stories for religion for 2 years for my GCSE's and learn all about them *shudder*...i found it the most boring class ever.

Oh if you can get your hands on the Adrian Mole diaries by sue Townsend Falling Star i suggest you read them- they are hilarious. :up: Love my funny books!

AcrobatMan said:
Where threads have no name :tongue: :tongue:

Am- what a clever clever little play on words there....i didnt get to email u back cus i wasnt online that night

BTW is that a good book???? Where threads have no name :tongue: :tongue:

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell(sp?)

Oh! And read American Psycho by (insert first name here) Ellis. It's pretty gorey and it's not a great book, but it has a whole chapter that takes place at a U2 concert. That part was quite funny. :yes:

Re: Re: This thread does not have a title.

Bonochick said:
"This thread does not have a title" is a title in itself.
sssssh ssssssh i hate smart people :p

Re: Re: Re: Re: This thread does not have a title.

Bonochick said:

Do you really mean "smart"...or "smart ass"??? :D

well smart ass yeah :D

oh btw congrats on becoming a mod in PLEBA :up: :D

The Cider House Rules by John Irving

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen

The Beach by Alex Garland (I highly reccomend it. Don't base it on the movie. The book is really good, and one of my favouites)

I Know This Much is True, or She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb (long reads)

White Oleander by Janet Fitch

Angela's Ashes br Frank McCourt

Lise said:
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
Where The Heart Is by Billie Letts

I completely forgot about those 3! Awesome!

Lise, BTW- is Tis as good as Angela's Ashes??

------

and one more:

Lives of the Saints - by Nino Ricci.

The_Sweetest_Thing said:

I completely forgot about those 3! Awesome!

Lise, BTW- is Tis as good as Angela's Ashes??

I really liked it. It's a continuation of Angela's Ashes and I felt he left us hanging at the end of Angela's Ashes. I wanted to know what happened when he came back to New York, his life, etc.
'Tis is just the book I wanted him to write.

books books books

Catch-22 by Joesph Heller
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon
Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
Dubliners by James Joyce
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
Numbers in the Dark by Italo Calvino

---------------

I'm currently reading Thomas Pynchon's V., Jacques Ellul's The Technological Society, Roger Scruton's A Short History of Modern Philosophy, and Philip Yancey's The Jesus I Never Knew.

To Kill A Mockingbird & angela's ashes are great books! :)

I also liked Steinbecks-Of mice & men and oh and I love Brian Friel plays :D

omg- i started reading Sexing The Cherry By Jeanette Winterson last night- it is *such* a strange book- I'm finding it tedious & weird.

Lara Mullen said:
Uh....im not THAT bored ye know.....reading *can* be fun ;)

Oh if you can get your hands on the Adrian Mole diaries by sue Townsend Falling Star i suggest you read them- they are hilarious. :up: Love my funny books!

I know that reading *can* be fun! :yes: :lol:

Gonna look for the book. :up:

You aren't that interested in 'boring' books I know :D, but I went through my book shelf yesterday and there are a lot of Salman Rushdie books in it. :yes: Maybe they aren't *that* boring. hehe :lol:

If you haven't read The Count of Monte Cristo, you must. Those other books can wait. In fact, don't read any other books. Just keep re-reading this one. Actually, Microsoft is testing their book-you-are-reading-tracking software, so if you read the book 10 times and then put it in a shoe box and mail it to one of your friends, Bill Gates will send you $18 million.

Just kidding. But read the book.

FallingStar said:

I know that reading *can* be fun! :yes: :lol:

Gonna look for the book. :up:

Falling star- they are a series- its about a teenageboy called Adrian and are so funny!

The first 2 are called

The Adrian Mole Diaries : The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 :

and The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole

but you can get these as one bumper book oooooh ;)

and there is Adrian Mole-The Lost Years

And about 2 years ago no maybe 1 well anyway lol for Christmas I got the latest Adrian Mole book when he was 30!!!!! and Sue Townsend signed mine for me and i got it all wrapped up under the tree cus my dad went and met het lol! Its not as good though i suggest the bumper book and if u can buy offline if ur parents let you-u can buy them for $4 which is not a lot of Euros! :)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/102-3510263-0771364 :D

Oh im making a book llist with all your books and will be envading all the 2nd hand book shops and the library (they know my name in the music library now i go so often lol :huh:) and getting those books

Are any of these books really funny or so good you just cant stop reading? :heart: those books! :love:

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
I Know This Much is True, or She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb (long reads)

White Oleander by Janet Fitch

Those are excellent reads!!! I loved all 3 of these books...I am thinking of reading "The Beach"..seems like a very summer-y book.

I just finished a french book on modern Japanese society and I'm trying to finish "Fast Food nation"...

I'm reading so many books at the same time..Mostly History of Art and general history books...

I have started reading a book called "The girl with the pearl earring", which is inspired by the painting of Vermeer.

Back
Top Bottom