this is the worst time in the sports year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popacrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
discuss.

no baseball. no football. the nba is boring and ncaa basketball, although there are some very good games, doesn't heat up really until the conference tourneys (for me at least.) i dont even know what hockey is, but maybe i should place some bets on it. :hmm:

spring training can't get here soon enough.:sigh:

NFL is my favorite sport, but this year we have the Winter Olympics so it's not boring. Plus NCAA basketball is my second favorite sport, I hate baseball, snore. So spring and summer are the most boring time for sports to me.

thanks for that.

yes, february is a terrible time for sports.

as for the winter olympics... why, oh why, am i to watch a bunch of sports that i would never even think of watching durring the 3 years and 350 days between olympiads?

just a few more days till pitchers and catchers.. :drool:

once march begins, though... it's all downhill from there... conference tourney time brings into the ncaa tourney, which brings into early april, which brings us into opening day, nba playoffs and that hockey playoff thing... then baseball goodness throughout the summer, except for that one wednesday after the all star game where i go to the bar and it fucking SUCKS 'cause no one's playing... but alas, then it's playoffs, world series, college football, the rise of the colts, college bowl games, the fall of the colts, the super bowl, and alas, it's back to the shitfully boring days of february all over again.

:sigh: at least it's a short month.

Last edited:
It is quite the boring sports month, although the Olympics does expose me to some sports every four years that I would otherwise never watch, and it can be interesting, so not so bad this year.

The Olympics are brilliant.

You get a packed 2 weeks of the best athletes in the world. Versus 6 months of hundreds of boring ass baseball games, half of which are played by mediocre teams.

anitram said:

You get a packed 2 weeks of the best athletes in the world. Versus 6 months of hundreds of boring ass baseball games, half of which are played by mediocre teams.

Some of these "best athletes in the world at their sport" are pretty awful. *coughcoughwomen'shockeycoughcough*

It all about hockey. Canada playing hockey at the olympics :drool:

Also basketball whether the NBA or college is the greatest sport around.

anitram said:

I couldn't have said it better myself.

The Heat/Pistons game yesterday was pretty good, Dwayne Wade is pretty damn good.
Plus we had the Peyton Pick 3 Pro Bowl to watch too.

College hoops is heating up as the regular season end approaches, so its not that bad overall. March will of course be a bit more interesting.

NBA for the lose?

It is a fairly boring time. NHL playoff fever soon, Spring Training, etc. It'll get better as we get into spring.

Then again, I also find mid-summer to be quite boring, as it's basically MLB and waiting for the NFL to begin.

If it weren't for the Olympics I'd be in full-on sports withdrawal.

Pitchers and catchers report this week, don't they? :hyper:

I cant understand why Americans love baseball so much. Its actually so boring. YAY for pitchers and catchers.

I never really paid much attention to baseball before I went to a major league game last season in Philly with some knowledgeable fans and a few beers. :sexywink: :kengriffeygivingusthefinger:

Now I enjoy it. It's not my favourite sport (football and hockey are far and away 1-2) but it's great to have something to pay attention to other than the CFL (which, funnily enough, nobody in Canada outside of Saskatoon really cares about anyways) in the summer.

Baseball been berry berry good to me. :up:

:love: ken griffey giving us the finger :love:

thetitans2k said:
I cant understand why Americans love baseball so much. Its actually so boring. YAY for pitchers and catchers.

why do we love baseball so much? :shrug: you can sit down on a saturday afternoon with a few friends, throw the game on and actually have a real conversation about the players, the teams, your job, life... whatever... without missing any of the action... add in the timeless nature of the sport... where a team down 2 runs with 2 outs and 2 strikes in their last at bat can still somehow find a way to win... and it's just perfect.

i can't understand how people can sit through a soccer game, so i guess we'll have to just agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
i can't understand how people can sit through a soccer game, so i guess we'll have to just agree to disagree.
I think the appeal of soccer is its simplicity, and the fact that to see a professional euro match in person is a beautiful thing. The other main factor of footie's awesomeness comes from the fact that the clock never stops.

There are no TV timeouts, no breaks between innings, you don't wait 15 seconds for a pitcher to dust up his hands and scratch his ass before throwing, there are no switching squads between defense/offence - it's a constant game that goes roaring along with the players and the fans.

Even if they do just pass the damn ball around forever :mad:

I don't follow baseball much since the Expos left for Washington to continue their suckage, but I loved it when I was younger.

The appeal of baseball is sitting outside on a warm summer evening as the sun goes down, watching the action, talking to good friends, and eating consession food. It's honestly like the country fair and apple pie, you get it or you don't. The beauty of the game is that I can have as much fun at a minor league game with 8,000 people in the stands as I can have at a major league venue.

Wishy-washy nostalga-marinated movies like 61*, The Natural, and Field of Dreams don't hurt either - watch those back to back and you'll be chewing tobacco and calling balks in no time.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
once march begins, though... it's all downhill from there... conference tourney time brings into the ncaa tourney, which brings into early april, which brings us into opening day, nba playoffs and that hockey playoff thing

I am a huge college BB fan and baseball fan.

My favorite time of the year is when the Final Four happens and the baseball season starts. It happens every single year.

That is my nirvana.

:drool:

Back
Top Bottom