this is the worst time in the sports year - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2006, 11:41 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:57 AM
Baseball is boring.

And yes, I've been to a few games in person.

The most recent one was, I believe, the second game of the Subway series this past May at Shea Stadium. I felt like I was in a middle school cafeteria what with all the childish turn-chanting(Group 1: 'Let's go Yankees' Group 2: 'Yank-ees SUCK!'. Add to that the fact that I develop Vertigo(no pun intended) sometimes when I'm sitting very high up in a stadium(which I was that day) and I have a shitty time. Why was I there, you ask? Long story short, my brother is a huge Mets fan, I was in town, and I had to go.

And the game itself just moves too damn slow and there's no time limit so any given game can drag on forever. I'm a huge NBA fan, that's my sport there. Non-stop action, beautiful to watch. I honestly believe watching a basketball team execute a play using all five players flawlessly is one of the most beautiful things in sports, right up there with watching a QB throw a perfect TD pass. Plus it's played indoors which means you don't have to deal with weather...no rainouts, no sun in your eyes, no being too hot or too cold, etc. And I don't care what anyone says, there is nothing that can beat watching a buzzer-beating game-winner in basketball.

Anyway, after NBA basketball, my favorite sports are Tennis and college basketball. I've been getting a lot more into NFL football lately though. It's fun enough to watch. Passing > running always imo though.

As far as the olympics go, I prefer the summer games to the winter games.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:32 AM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:57 AM
i don't understand americans.

i really don't.

how can you not follow hockey? it's everything that's good about soccer except sped up 20 times faster with body contact.

how can anyone call hockey boring when baseball drags it's feet even at the best of times?

and i like baseball.

hockey should be WAY bigger in the states.

and soccer should be bigger in north america. soccer makes 7ust about everything else look embarassing by comparison.

world cup in 4 months...

Old 02-16-2006, 01:36 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

i really don't.

how can you not follow hockey? it's everything that's good about soccer except sped up 20 times faster with body contact.

how can anyone call hockey boring when baseball drags it's feet even at the best of times?

and i like baseball.

and soccer should be bigger in north america. soccer makes 7ust about everything else look embarassing by comparison.

world cup in 4 months...
brilliant post

world cup
Old 02-16-2006, 01:38 AM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:57 PM
The Mavs are all alone at the top of the West.

Making it the best moment in sports so far this year.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:21 AM   #35
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

i really don't.

and i like baseball.

world cup in 4 months...
i'd rather puncture my eyeballs with a pencil than watch the world cup
Old 02-16-2006, 08:38 AM   #36
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
Baseball is boring.

And yes, I've been to a few games in person.

The most recent one was, I believe, the second game of the Subway series this past May at Shea Stadium. I felt like I was in a middle school cafeteria what with all the childish turn-chanting(Group 1: 'Let's go Yankees' Group 2: 'Yank-ees SUCK!'. Add to that the fact that I develop Vertigo(no pun intended) sometimes when I'm sitting very high up in a stadium(which I was that day) and I have a shitty time. Why was I there, you ask? Long story short, my brother is a huge Mets fan, I was in town, and I had to go.
i feel that i can comment on this one, seeing as i, too, was at that game... and to top it off i was in the upper deck in my usual seats (have a 13 game plan with some friends... they give us the same seats for every game... anyhoo)...

u2 was at the garden that night... twas a perfect day. on, oh i don't know, 4 hours of sleep, i crawled back into the city, met up with my friends in the auxilary parking lot in corona park (other side of the train station, about a mile from the stadium, no parking fee ), having a few icey cold adult beverages, decked out in my black mets jersey complete with vertigo tour shirt underneath... the fans chanting back and forth at each other before you even get into the stadium... followed up with a great game if you were a mets fan, as they knocked randy johnson all over the park...

is the "chanting" a little childish? sure... what part of sport isn't? you've got adults playing a game, you have adults wearing the jersey of their favorite player, you have adults painting their face, you have adults chanting silly chants. all of these things go on at your average baseball game, basketball game, football game, hockey game, and especially soccer game... where grown men have been known to riot if the other grown men who are playing a game don't win.

it's all childish - uhh, that's kinda the point... a release from the true boredom of every day life.

the atmosphere in that stadium that afternoon was terrific, no matter where your seats were. if you found that boring, try going to a tuesday night game against the pirates with steve trachsel on the mound.

if you found that game to be boring, if you were not the least bit interested being in that stadium that day, then you simply hate baseball and nothing can change your mind. i normally wouldn't make that statement, but i was at that game, and i was in the upper deck.

Quote:
And the game itself just moves too damn slow and there's no time limit so any given game can drag on forever. I'm a huge NBA fan, that's my sport there. Non-stop action, beautiful to watch. I honestly believe watching a basketball team execute a play using all five players flawlessly is one of the most beautiful things in sports, right up there with watching a QB throw a perfect TD pass. Plus it's played indoors which means you don't have to deal with weather...no rainouts, no sun in your eyes, no being too hot or too cold, etc. And I don't care what anyone says, there is nothing that can beat watching a buzzer-beating game-winner in basketball.
as someone who's played basketball their entire life, through middle school, high school, into college... and now coach it at the high school level, and have spent every weekday of every summer working at a basketball camp since i was a junior in high school... and someone who loves the nba... there ain't much beauty in the current NBA. most of it's painfully bad to watch due to the utter lack of fundamental skill found in today's american basketball player. this is why we lose to puerto rico in the olympics. but i won't go off on another disertation on that... i've done it enough over the years.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

^ what Headache said

Esepcailly about baseketball - I don't see any team executing a designed play where all 5 members touch the ball.

I see one on one play and people chucking 3 pointers all game....I'm afraid the mid range jumper is gone.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:36 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

pitchers and catchers
Old 02-16-2006, 11:43 AM   #39
Refugee

Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075
^ what Headache said

Esepcailly about baseketball - I don't see any team executing a designed play where all 5 members touch the ball.

I see one on one play and people chucking 3 pointers all game....I'm afraid the mid range jumper is gone.
Ever watch the Pistons, Spurs, Mavs or Suns??

those are 4 very well coached teams at the top of the NBA who play great basketball. I agree with NAMkur in that a well executed basketball play is the best thing in sports. I get so pumped when I see a play run to perfection.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i feel that i can comment on this one, seeing as i, too, was at that game... and to top it off i was in the upper deck in my usual seats (have a 13 game plan with some friends... they give us the same seats for every game... anyhoo)...

u2 was at the garden that night... twas a perfect day.
That sure was a great day!
The Mets beating the Yankees and a U2 concert to top it off.

And it was a very nice game of baseball too. Then again, it was my first.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:19 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by thetitans2k

those are 4 very well coached teams at the top of the NBA who play great basketball. I agree with NAMkur in that a well executed basketball play is the best thing in sports. I get so pumped when I see a play run to perfection.
Yes I have. that's 4 teams out of the 30 best in the world (supposedly).
Old 02-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by thetitans2k

the fact that you can only name 4 teams that actually play good team basketball in the entire NBA, that pretty much adds to what numb and i were saying.

and while the spurs and pistons are both very good teams, they aren't exactly kind to the eye.

the suns are fun to watch, but that's because they don't play any defense.

fact is that only 8 teams average more than 100 points per game, and of the top 50 scorers in the NBA, only 9... Elton Brand, Chris Bosh, Kevin Garnett, Richard Hamilton, Shawn Marion, Tony Parker, David West, Zydrunas Illgauskas and Dwight Howard... are shooting 50% from the field or higher. 18 of the top 50 are shooting below 45% from the field... including 4 players in the top 10 in scoring... Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson, Gilbert Arenas and Tracy McGrady, who's shooting a horrific 40%. of the top 50 players in the NBA in shots attempted, only seven... SEVEN... are shooting at least 50%.

looking over these stats I can see why all the scouts say that J.J. Redick's game won't translate to the NBA... in order to succeed in the NBA you need to not be able to shoot.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:53 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

I used to love the NBA back in the 80s and early 90s, but I just can't get into it now. The play is so bad. Give me college hoops over it anyday.

Thanks goodness for spring training and March Madness. This month has been hell.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Phanan, I couldn't agree more
Old 02-17-2006, 04:39 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075

Yes I have. that's 4 teams out of the 30 best in the world (supposedly).
And two of them don't play any defense (talking fundamentals)

and in terms of fundamentals, the NBA is a fucking disgrace, save for maybe, I stress maybe the two teams mentioned. The Pistons are ugly to watch, they have a couple of shooters but overall they are pretty rough to watch unless you like scrums. Their all-star center couldn't hit a free throw to save his life (fundamentals). I don't have much problem with the Spurs, they are the star of the league, no doubt.

So 2/30, good job NBA, doing a disservice to sound basketball for decades.

And I love the Mavs, but they are run and gun and the Suns, pretty much the same. It's just horrible basketball, overall.