This is probably my favorite rap song! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2007, 02:26 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:02 AM
That's what I'm talking about! I love that kind of mid tempo almost easy going rap with the bassy melodic groove going A lot of songs like that from the 90s! Another reason why the 90s kicked some serious ass!

Southernplayalisticadillacmuzick

Old 07-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22
Zoots please listen to this song :Pray:

Click on the song

15 Minutes - Track 8 and then tell me is not a good rap song

http://cdbaby.com/cd/rahj

tell me what you think
Very cool! That whole CD sounds interesting!

I think you guys know the style of rap I'm talking about!

Old 07-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Sorry for posting a gazillion times but who remembers this?

Old 07-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:02 PM
Zoots!!! I Arrested Development. However, I think I liked Tennessee more than Mr. Wendel.

I'll have to 2nd what AB said about Mos Def , Talib Kweli , and The Roots (?est Love is sooooo sexy!) I'll also suggest some Blackalicious, Dead Presidents, and A Tribe Called Quest.

sidenote: I know ALL of the lyrics to Regulate by heart
Old 07-29-2007, 03:06 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by unico
sidenote: I know ALL of the lyrics to Regulate by heart

Seems like there's a few artists/groups I need to check out... Mos Def, Tribe Called Quest, The Roots...

More AD... well, not quite but one of them.. Dionne Farris:

Old 07-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:02 PM
The Lauryn Hill record is good. Too bad she can't seem to embark on a comeback without screwing it up by acting weird. I wish she'd buckle down and make another record.

I loved Mr. Wendal and Tennessee. I liked the record at first, but after a while, their seriousness got on my nerves. Dude. Lighten UP!

Go 'head, Mr. Wendal ...

And yes, Zoots. You MUST check out Sly & the Family Stone.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:39 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, Miseducation is a great album. I listen to it regularly. I hope that over the years, Lauryn Hill has changed a bit, because she is very talented. I think she got in trouble for saying something like she didn't want white people buying her album or something. At least...that's what I heard. I say, if they friggin let that racist Common continue to make music, then why the hell not let Lauryn? Perhaps she's changed.

Fugees - The Score is also a great album lol the Chinese restaurant extra cracks me up every time!

Sly is amazing

You should also listen to Jill Scott!
Old 07-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico
Yes, Miseducation is a great album. I listen to it regularly. I hope that over the years, Lauryn Hill has changed a bit, because she is very talented. I think she got in trouble for saying something like she didn't want white people buying her album or something. At least...that's what I heard. I say, if they friggin let that racist Common continue to make music, then why the hell not let Lauryn? Perhaps she's changed.

Fugees - The Score is also a great album lol the Chinese restaurant extra cracks me up every time!

Sly is amazing

You should also listen to Jill Scott!
Forgive Them Father is one of the best songs of the 90s
Old 07-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:02 PM
Ayyyy-teeeeee-ellllllllllll
Old 07-29-2007, 04:55 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
And yes, Zoots. You MUST check out Sly & the Family Stone.
Was listening to some samples just now. They're not really rap, are they? More like funk and soul. Which led me to James Brown. Don't have anything by him either!

If I'm not mistaken, rap originated only in the 80s...? and probably stemmed from R&B, funk & soul....? That's my guess.. I don't know much about this
Old 07-29-2007, 05:17 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
The Lauryn Hill record is good.
I second that. The only annoying thing about that album (and also on The Score by The Fugees) are the skits. Not only are they annoying (as usual), but they're also tacked to the end of the songs, so you can't easily skip them.

Another recommendation is Spearhead. On their first album Home they were still close to rap/hip hop (with that funk/soul/reggae vibe thrown in). Later albums are a bit more rock oriented. Still excellent stuff though (also on the albums Stay Human and Yell Fire).

And yes, Sly & The Family Stone are funk/soul and not rap. They were a late 60s, early 70s act and created the template (i.e. were the source of many samples) for the rap acts. Rap didn't appear (overground) until the late 70s.

And oh, get some James Brown definitely! If you see it somewhere, get the Star Time boxset without hesitation. Amazing songs, revealing liner notes and 4+ hours of soul/funk/early rap.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Run DMC were one of the first in rap/hip hop I think

The Roots and Jurassic 5

I liked one of the videos Lauren Hill did in the 90's but I can't remember the name right now.

The 90's music
Old 07-29-2007, 05:38 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Thanks for the recs, Marty!

Oh I just remembered another Lauryn Hill song. If I Ruled The World by Nas featuring Lauryn. It's on youtube too!
Old 07-29-2007, 07:10 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:02 PM
Sly & the Family Stone are one of the greatest groups ever, in any genre. Period.

There is no way to fully describe the influence they have had on modern rock, rap, r&b, whatever. Amazing socially conscious lyrics, groundbreaking sounds...just phenomenal. They've been sampled so many times you probably know more than you think you do.

I would recommend a compilation to start, Z. They have a Greatest Hits that is one of those "Nice Price" albums from Columbia that will run less than $10. I would suggest getting the Sly & the Family Stone Anthology collection instead, which runs about 7-8 songs longer and contains more of their later, edgier material. It's also budget priced. There's a newer release called "The Essential Sly & the Family Stone", but it's 2 CDs, costs more than Anthology, and might be a bit too overwhelming for an intro with 35 tracks. It's remastered though and probably has great liner notes.

If you do any torrent downloading, you can find many of the newly remastered albums pretty easily. If you're going to do studio albums instead of compilations, I'd say start with Stand!, which has most of their recognizable hits, or Dance to the Music. Then I'd look into There's A Riot Going On, which is much darker, but considered their masterpiece by many. After that you've got Life, and Fresh, both worth having in their entirety.

Happy listening. You are in for a hell of a treat.