This is F*cking Ridiculous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ridiculous, yeah, but on a completely different note I'm curious if royalties expert Peter Rowan is the same Peter Rowan cover star of 'Boy' and 'War'? That'd be interesting.

It's not a matter of being pricks.

If you sang for free on a song that ended up making millions, and could have made you a couple thousand bucks, wouldn't you want that money too?

And I say this as the Resident Pink Floyd Guru here, so if anything I'd be biased in favour of the band.

Besides, it's not the band that's being sued here. The band themselves won't have to pay a cent, it's all the record company's money.

I could understand some anger if the band themselves were under fire, but this is a matter with the label.

I hope they win. :up:

DaveC said:
If you sang for free on a song that ended up making millions, and could have made you a couple thousand bucks, wouldn't you want that money too?
Wasn't Clare Torry similarly screwed for her (even more prominent) part in "The Great Gig In the Sky"?

I don't think she's been recompensated for it. She performed for a standard fee and got it. If she wanted a better rate, she should have negotiated for it before she laid her voice down on tape. Same with these kids.

Most session musicians aren't making gazillions either. It's not like these kids wrote or published the song.

typhoon said:

Wasn't Clare Torry similarly screwed for her (even more prominent) part in "The Great Gig In the Sky"?

I don't think she's been recompensated for it. She performed for a standard fee and got it. If she wanted a better rate, she should have negotiated for it before she laid her voice down on tape. Same with these kids.

Most session musicians aren't making gazillions either. It's not like these kids wrote or published the song.

That's not it though, you need to read the rest of the article.

Yes, Clare Torry sued for royalties and didn't get them. That was because she signed an agreement for a set fee for the recording session.

It's different with these kids though. There was no negotiated rate, there was no signed agreement, hell, the headmistress of the school didn't even really know about it. It was just the music teacher who packed up all the kids and took them to the studio for the day. The idea was that the kids would appear on TV and in the video and they'd be paid for that.

Once the headmistress found out what had happened and actually heard the song and its "We don't need no education" chorus, she was furious and forbade the children from appearing anywhere else. So PF paid the school 1000 pounds as compensation and as a thank you. It was not written down as an agreement or a contract. Legally, it was basically a gift. Therefore, these kids (now adults, of course) should be entitled to SOMETHING.

I don't think this is ridiculous at all, especially considering that this time (as opposed to the Clare Torry lawsuit) the correct entity is being targeted for monies owed. The band themselves (Rick, Nick, Dave, and Rog at the time) owe jack shit to those kids. It's the recording company, who made (and continue to make) the most money off The Wall, and therefore the record company should be targeted.

Best of luck to the people looking for royalties. :applaud:

If they get much more than a hundred bucks the courts are crazy. It's not like PF couldn't have just gotten any random number of kids together to do this.

Back
Top Bottom