This is a public service message for Women to better understand the Male

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Because I'm a man, when I lock my keys in the car I will fiddle with a wire long after hypothermia has set in.
-----------------------------------------------
Because I'm a man, when the car isn't running very well, I will pop the hood and stare at the engine as if I know what I'm looking at. If another man shows up, one of us will say to the other, "I used to be able to fix these things, but now with all these computers and everything, I wouldn't know where to start." We will then drink beer.
Because I'm a man, when I catch a cold, I need someone to bring me soup and take care of me while I lie in bed and moan. You're a woman. You never get as sick as I do, so for you this isn't a problem.
Because I'm a man, I can be relied upon to purchase basic groceries at the store, like milk or bread. I cannot be expected to find exotic items like "cumin" or "tofu." For all I know, these are the same thing. And never, under any circumstances, expect me to pick up anything for which "feminine hygiene product" is a euphemism.
Because I'm a man, when one of our appliances stops working, I will insist on taking it apart, despite evidence that this will just cost me twice as much once the repair person gets here and has to put it back together
-------------------------------------------------------
Because I'm a man, I must hold the television remote control in my hand while I watch TV. If the thing has been misplaced, I may miss a whole show looking for it (though one time I was able to survive by holding a calculator).
Because I'm a man, I don't think we're all that lost, and no, I don't think we should stop and ask someone. Why would you listen to a complete stranger? I mean, how the hell could he know where we're going?
Because I'm a man, there is no need to ask me what I'm thinking about. The answer is always either sex, cars, beer, or football. I have to make up something else when you ask, so don't ask.
Because I'm a man, I do not want to visit your mother, or have your mother come visit us, or talk to her when she calls, or think about her any more than I have to. Whatever you got her for Mother's Day is okay; I don't need to see it. And don't forget to pick up something for my mother, too.
Because I'm a man, you don't have to ask me if I liked the movie. Chances are, if you're crying at the end of it, I didn't.
Because I'm a man, I think what you're wearing is fine. I thought what you were wearing five minutes ago was fine, too. Either pair of shoes is fine. With the belt or without it looks fine. Your hair is fine. You look fine. Can we just go now?
Because I'm a man, and this is, after all, the year 2003, I will share equally in the housework. You just do the laundry, the cooking, the gardening, the cleaning, the vacuuming, and the dishes, and I'll do the rest.
----------------------------------------------

Well, maybe it is funny, until you realize that, in so many custody cases, men, by default, are more likely to lose custody of their children to the mother, due to stereotypes like these.

Or, maybe as someone who has had his fill of stereotypes slung at him, I have ceased to find them funny in any capacity.

Oh well...so I'm guessing that men who don't act as irresponsible as this are not real men? :up:

Melon

Last edited:
melon said:

Oh well...so I'm guessing that men who don't act as irresponsible as this are not real men? :up:

if that's the case, as most of those don't apply to him, my boyfriend isn't a real man...

Though I'd beg to differ. :sexywink:

Dreadsox said:
Because I'm a man, I can be relied upon to purchase basic groceries at the store, like milk or bread. I cannot be expected to find exotic items like "cumin" or "tofu." For all I know, these are the same thing. And never, under any circumstances, expect me to pick up anything for which "feminine hygiene product" is a euphemism.

LOL. Well, luckily for any guy that I'll date in the future, I'll never ask for some exotic thing like tofu (which I don't eat in the first place), or "cumin" (what the hell is that anyway?). Bread and milk are fine. :).

And as for the feminine stuff...I'll get it myself.

Originally posted by Dreadsox
Because I'm a man, I must hold the television remote control in my hand while I watch TV. If the thing has been misplaced, I may miss a whole show looking for it (though one time I was able to survive by holding a calculator).

This is so totally describing my dad. :).

Because I'm a man, I do not want to visit your mother, or have your mother come visit us, or talk to her when she calls, or think about her any more than I have to. Whatever you got her for Mother's Day is okay; I don't need to see it. And don't forget to pick up something for my mother, too.

My dad got along quite well with my mom's mother, actually. We barely saw my dad's mother (she lived all the way in Arizona. I saw her once when I was, like, three).

Because I'm a man, I think what you're wearing is fine. I thought what you were wearing five minutes ago was fine, too. Either pair of shoes is fine. With the belt or without it looks fine. Your hair is fine. You look fine. Can we just go now?

My mom's like this-she'll ask everyone-my sister, my dad, and I-what would go best with whatever she's wearing.

Personally, I always feel bad for guys in this area. Like Frank on "Everybody Loves Raymond" said one time to his wife, "You still need reassurance after 45 years?". Very true. I figure if the guy still wants to be with me, he obviously doesn't have that big a problem with how I look, and therefore I will refrain from asking him that question a zillion times over.

Besides, that's a question on which guys are screwed either way-if they say a girl looks fine, the girl accuses them of lying, if they're honest and tell the girl they don't like what they're wearing, the girl gets mad then, too.

So I just plan on avoiding getting into that mess altogether.

This list is cute. Very funny.

Angela

melon said:
Well, maybe it is funny, until you realize that, in so many custody cases, men, by default, are more likely to lose custody of their children to the mother, due to stereotypes like these.

Stereotypes don't just appear magically out of nowhere, you know. I guess you're not the type who can accept a statement as being true in general of a group of people but not necessarily for a single individual.

And it's not like men are a minority group that has been historically marginalized (though I think that both minority groups and dominant groups should be able to withstand such humor).

Last edited:
Re: Re: This is a public service message for Women to better understand the Male

Moonlit_Angel said:

LOL. Well, luckily for any guy that I'll date in the future, I'll never ask for some exotic thing like tofu (which I don't eat in the first place), or "cumin" (what the hell is that anyway?).

Cumin is the seed-shaped fruit of the Cuminum cyminum plant. This plant is a member of the Apiaceae family, a family that includes dill, celery, coriander, fennel, parsely, and anise.

Cumin is often used whole in Indian or Middle Eastern cooking, though in America it is probably more commonly experienced as a ground-up spice used in Mexican cuisine.

Re: Re: Re: This is a public service message for Women to better understand the Male

speedracer said:

Cumin is the seed-shaped fruit of the Cuminum cyminum plant. This plant is a member of the Apiaceae family, a family that includes dill, celery, coriander, fennel, parsely, and anise.

Cumin is often used whole in Indian or Middle Eastern cooking, though in America it is probably more commonly experienced as a ground-up spice used in Mexican cuisine.

Oh. Okay. :).

Thanks for the info.

Angela

speedracer said:
Stereotypes don't just appear magically out of nowhere, you know. I guess you're not the type who can accept a statement as being true in general of a group of people but not necessarily for a single individual.

And it's not like men are a minority group that has been historically marginalized (though I think that both minority groups and dominant groups should be able to withstand such humor).

I think stereotypes are circular. They may have a hint of truth at some point, yes. However, as future generations are accustomed to those stereotypes, even in humor, if they can identify with that aforementioned group, they will more than likely conform to those expectations. Stereotypes are nothing more than self-fulfilling prophesies.

Melon

melon said:

I think stereotypes are circular. They may have a hint of truth at some point, yes. However, as future generations are accustomed to those stereotypes, even in humor, if they can identify with that aforementioned group, they will more than likely conform to those expectations. Stereotypes are nothing more than self-fulfilling prophesies.

Melon

I guess you ascribe much less autonomy to individual human beings than I do. But I think I already knew that...

Why don't you two meet up and have a beer? You're in the same neighborhood, practically! :grumpy:

Melon, how's the facial paralysis? ;)

paxetaurora said:
Why don't you two meet up and have a beer? You're in the same neighborhood, practically! :grumpy:

Melon, how's the facial paralysis? ;)

Don't forget me! It is my neighborhood too!

15 Arlington St. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom