This is a public service message for Women to better understand the Male - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2003, 06:00 PM   #16
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Melon, your face is going to freeze like that.

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:51 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:45 PM
I am with Melon.
Until I got to Pax's post. LMAO!

Old 07-09-2003, 10:34 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, maybe it is funny, until you realize that, in so many custody cases, men, by default, are more likely to lose custody of their children to the mother, due to stereotypes like these.

Or, maybe as someone who has had his fill of stereotypes slung at him, I have ceased to find them funny in any capacity.

Oh well...so I'm guessing that men who don't act as irresponsible as this are not real men?

Melon
Old 07-09-2003, 10:51 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Oh well...so I'm guessing that men who don't act as irresponsible as this are not real men?
if that's the case, as most of those don't apply to him, my boyfriend isn't a real man...

Though I'd beg to differ.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:57 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:45 PM
Re: This is a public service message for Women to better understand the Male

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Because I'm a man, I can be relied upon to purchase basic groceries at the store, like milk or bread. I cannot be expected to find exotic items like "cumin" or "tofu." For all I know, these are the same thing. And never, under any circumstances, expect me to pick up anything for which "feminine hygiene product" is a euphemism.
LOL. Well, luckily for any guy that I'll date in the future, I'll never ask for some exotic thing like tofu (which I don't eat in the first place), or "cumin" (what the hell is that anyway?). Bread and milk are fine. .

And as for the feminine stuff...I'll get it myself.

Quote:
Because I'm a man, I must hold the television remote control in my hand while I watch TV. If the thing has been misplaced, I may miss a whole show looking for it (though one time I was able to survive by holding a calculator).
This is so totally describing my dad. .

Quote:
Because I'm a man, I do not want to visit your mother, or have your mother come visit us, or talk to her when she calls, or think about her any more than I have to. Whatever you got her for Mother's Day is okay; I don't need to see it. And don't forget to pick up something for my mother, too.
My dad got along quite well with my mom's mother, actually. We barely saw my dad's mother (she lived all the way in Arizona. I saw her once when I was, like, three).

Quote:
Because I'm a man, I think what you're wearing is fine. I thought what you were wearing five minutes ago was fine, too. Either pair of shoes is fine. With the belt or without it looks fine. Your hair is fine. You look fine. Can we just go now?
My mom's like this-she'll ask everyone-my sister, my dad, and I-what would go best with whatever she's wearing.

Personally, I always feel bad for guys in this area. Like Frank on "Everybody Loves Raymond" said one time to his wife, "You still need reassurance after 45 years?". Very true. I figure if the guy still wants to be with me, he obviously doesn't have that big a problem with how I look, and therefore I will refrain from asking him that question a zillion times over.

Besides, that's a question on which guys are screwed either way-if they say a girl looks fine, the girl accuses them of lying, if they're honest and tell the girl they don't like what they're wearing, the girl gets mad then, too.

So I just plan on avoiding getting into that mess altogether.

This list is cute. Very funny.

Angela
Old 07-10-2003, 10:12 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Well, maybe it is funny, until you realize that, in so many custody cases, men, by default, are more likely to lose custody of their children to the mother, due to stereotypes like these.

Stereotypes don't just appear magically out of nowhere, you know. I guess you're not the type who can accept a statement as being true in general of a group of people but not necessarily for a single individual.

And it's not like men are a minority group that has been historically marginalized (though I think that both minority groups and dominant groups should be able to withstand such humor).
Old 07-10-2003, 10:26 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Re: Re: This is a public service message for Women to better understand the Male

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

LOL. Well, luckily for any guy that I'll date in the future, I'll never ask for some exotic thing like tofu (which I don't eat in the first place), or "cumin" (what the hell is that anyway?).

Cumin is the seed-shaped fruit of the Cuminum cyminum plant. This plant is a member of the Apiaceae family, a family that includes dill, celery, coriander, fennel, parsely, and anise.

Cumin is often used whole in Indian or Middle Eastern cooking, though in America it is probably more commonly experienced as a ground-up spice used in Mexican cuisine.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:20 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:45 PM
Re: Re: Re: This is a public service message for Women to better understand the Male

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

Cumin is the seed-shaped fruit of the Cuminum cyminum plant. This plant is a member of the Apiaceae family, a family that includes dill, celery, coriander, fennel, parsely, and anise.

Cumin is often used whole in Indian or Middle Eastern cooking, though in America it is probably more commonly experienced as a ground-up spice used in Mexican cuisine.
Oh. Okay. .

Thanks for the info.

Angela
Old 07-10-2003, 09:27 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
Stereotypes don't just appear magically out of nowhere, you know. I guess you're not the type who can accept a statement as being true in general of a group of people but not necessarily for a single individual.

And it's not like men are a minority group that has been historically marginalized (though I think that both minority groups and dominant groups should be able to withstand such humor).
I think stereotypes are circular. They may have a hint of truth at some point, yes. However, as future generations are accustomed to those stereotypes, even in humor, if they can identify with that aforementioned group, they will more than likely conform to those expectations. Stereotypes are nothing more than self-fulfilling prophesies.

Melon
Old 07-10-2003, 11:22 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

I think stereotypes are circular. They may have a hint of truth at some point, yes. However, as future generations are accustomed to those stereotypes, even in humor, if they can identify with that aforementioned group, they will more than likely conform to those expectations. Stereotypes are nothing more than self-fulfilling prophesies.

Melon
I guess you ascribe much less autonomy to individual human beings than I do. But I think I already knew that...
Old 07-10-2003, 11:24 PM   #26
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Why don't you two meet up and have a beer? You're in the same neighborhood, practically!

Melon, how's the facial paralysis?

Join Amnesty.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:23 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Why don't you two meet up and have a beer? You're in the same neighborhood, practically!

Melon, how's the facial paralysis?
Don't forget me! It is my neighborhood too!

15 Arlington St.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:29 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

one of my closest friends lives in boston now. i want to go.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:30 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Screaming Flower
one of my closest friends lives in boston now. i want to go.
Awwwwww...Thanks
Old 07-11-2003, 12:31 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life