This has gone too far- Grandads, roommates being sued over music downloading! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2003, 02:27 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 10:06 AM
well that means im safe, but at the same time it just means more and more people are gonna stop sharing and make it impossible to download anything.

hopefully that will still take time.

Old 07-26-2003, 05:51 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Sweet Tart
this is so sad. does the RIAA think that suing its consumers that it will make them buy cds again?
Really!

So many people in this country are (thankfully) pissed off about this whole thing...this is NOT making the RIAA popular, it's only making them look really stupid.

Quote:
besides think of how much money in legal costs they will waste by suing all these people.
Exactly.

Quote:
the backlash of this will be nasty.
Yep, it sure will. .

Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith2904
It never occurs to the music industry to try to create a better product, they'd rather blame fans for "stealing" and causing profits to slide than accept fault for churning out garbage. Why would you pay $19 for a CD that you like one or two songs from if you can go online and get that song for nothing? Please, this isn't rocket science!
Precisely!

Not to mention, I've complained before about my small town-we only have a Wal-Mart (which is restrictive with what they sell to begin with when it comes to music) and a Sam Goody store in our mall. Even with the Sam Goody store there, I can't find a good 90 to 95% of the CDs from my favorite bands there. All the CDs they have I'd already brought at one time there. And it's basically just greatest hits CDs and maybe one or two of their other albums. And that's it.

So I have to download a lot of the stuff since it's not being sold in the stores here in town.

But the RIAA doesn't think about any of that stuff that dsmith and I mentioned, all they care about is that they're losing a little money (yeah, like they're really suffering money-wise in the first place ...).

At least for now it's only those who are sharing files who are being targeted, and my family made it so we're just downloading songs, not sharing them.

But still, this is really stupid. This proves the RIAA is nothing more than a bunch of greedy creeps.

Angela

Old 07-26-2003, 07:03 AM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 04:06 AM

Lucky i live in NZ. I hope...
Old 07-26-2003, 12:37 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 12:06 PM
well i live in canada so as far as i know they haven't moved across the border. still it's really disheartening that this is happening. i have discovered so many bands that i never would have heard of if it wasn't for the internet/P2P. our city has only 4 radio stations which play a very limited song selection. how am i suppose to find music that i like when i have no way of even hearing it.

they are saying that it's hurting their record sales. i think it's mainly of the bigger bands/artists like eminem, j lo, linkin park. bands that are already well known. on the other hand i believe that it's helping smaller unknown artists get a break because the record companies only make a push for more mainstream artists that are more mtv friendly.

because of these file sharing programs i have fell in love with the music of doves. a band that i had never heard about before and never to this day have i seen any airplay on either radio or video stations in my area.

the music needs to get out their and this is the best way. yes i d/l music but every band that i love their music i go out and buy their album and support them.

maybe the record companies should find away around this. maybe a monthly fee so that people can d/l stuff and then the record companies can split the moneies up accordingly. (say by # of d/l of a specific band/artist, etc.)

i don't know....i'm just mad and ranting.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:34 PM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Red Ships of Scalla-Festa
terrible. it makes me feel sick. the riaa should be destroyed.

it honestly makes me feel like not downloading another song again.

and btw, have you noticed the wording in all these articles? people who download arent getting trouble - its those who offer files for others to download who are.

interesting.

This is so wrong. This means that if you buy cds and then convert them to mp3 to store on your pc, you could possibly be sued for sharing?
Old 07-26-2003, 01:37 PM   #21
Creator of the Blue Crack

Local Time: 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Citron

This is so wrong. This means that if you buy cds and then convert them to mp3 to store on your pc, you could possibly be sued for sharing?

Only if you share them on a filesharing network/program.

I have over 50gigs of cds i've encoded to mp3, for my personal use. that is totally legal. now if I shared them with the world, I'd be in serious trouble.. or could be.
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:10 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:06 AM
Of course this is all still pretty reactionary, like the reaction of record companies to The Wherehouse starting to sell used CDs in the early '90s. To "punish" The Wherehouse, many record labels refused to send promo items to their stores, meaning Wherehouse stores wouldn't get posters or cool premium items to giveaway with purchases. But more than 10 years later Wherehouse stores (what's left of them anyway) are still selling used CDs and monster independent stores like Amoeba are mostly stocking used CDs. You can't keep customers from getting what they want and the record companies have to find some way of working with the public, iTunes is a great step in that direction, lowering the price of CDs and investing in artist development would also make a huge difference.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:38 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
i have discovered so many bands that i never would have heard of if it wasn't for the internet/P2P. our city has only 4 radio stations which play a very limited song selection. how am i suppose to find music that i like when i have no way of even hearing it.
Exactly.

Quote:
the music needs to get out their and this is the best way. yes i d/l music but every band that i love their music i go out and buy their album and support them.
Yep.

If I really, truly love a certain band's music, I will always go out and buy their albums (basically because I'm pretty much guaranteed that their albums are going to be, for the most part, if not totally, good and worth the money).

Angela
Old 07-26-2003, 08:54 PM   #24
The Fly

wow

hope this doesn't happen here in Mexico
Old 07-29-2003, 03:58 PM   #25
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

this is kinda disgusting. What I find particularly disgusting is that all the money that the RIAA gets from these lawsuits will probably come out of the pockets of regular, kind, hard working folk and get sucked up by the record industry.. and I would be surprised if the artists themselves see any of the money at all.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:43 PM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 04:06 PM

That's true Skeek. They are getting vicious and are going to ruin the lives of hard working people and college students who won't be able to pay for their remaining years. People could lose everything. It's a power play, it's greed, it's more like terrorism and a war. The RIAA's message is, we are bigger, richer and more powerful than you, and we will win. Everybody bow down or run now. It only makes me hate them. They could have taken it the other way and compromised selling online like Apple. But they have to go for the kill, and knockout, but it's their CUSTOMERS they are screwing!!
Old 07-29-2003, 11:39 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Exactly ^^^^.

As stated earlier, if they want people to start supporting them again and buying music in stores and all that, this is not the way for them to go about it. Do they not notice how many people in this country are pissed off about this whole mess? This lawsuit business will hurt them. Not help them.

Quote:
Originally posted by SkeeK
this is kinda disgusting. What I find particularly disgusting is that all the money that the RIAA gets from these lawsuits will probably come out of the pockets of regular, kind, hard working folk and get sucked up by the record industry.. and I would be surprised if the artists themselves see any of the money at all.
Good point. Exactly right. They'll get richer, the artists won't see a cent, and we consumers will be poorer as a result.

Yep. This is a brilliant idea, RIAA. .

The RIAA can go screw themselves.

Angela
Old 07-30-2003, 06:04 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:06 AM
Old 07-31-2003, 07:55 AM   #29
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:06 AM
Honestly, this development alarms me. What is wrong with the RIAA. One pressing question: are people outside America, such as myself (I'm in Australia) safe, or can we be prosecuted too? My friend earlier today told me some story he heard about a university in Sydney being forced by the RIAA to hand over names, although I can't verify if this is true or not.

Personally, I download stuff when I can't find it, or when I simply cannot afford it. I do not have the money to go out and buy lots of CDs, and I'm always conscious of the risk that a fair chunk of the songs on it may be utter crap. I download because that's the best, easiest, and most convenient way to get music. If CDs were sold at a more affordable price, then I wouldn't have as much need to download. Plus, some rare stuff simply is not available. The only way I could get U2's A Celebration was via download, and the same can be said about some live mp3s I have of U2.

One would hope the backlash against the RIAA becomes organised. It's a shame I'm in Australia, 16, and have no idea how to organise a backlash, because otherwise I would. Boycotts, thousands upon thousands of letters and phone calls of complaint, you get the idea.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-31-2003, 07:56 AM   #30
Blue Crack Distributor

Too far indeed.