This Baby's Mustache, America Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this shot.

100_1208.jpg

coolian2 said:
I'd imagine it was probably used for big games in the Auckland competition. It was also used for New Zealand games and Auckland Rep games.

In 1977, the Auckland rep team beat Australia, England and France in consecutive weeks in an unprecedented performance by a rep side, considering the NZ national side had trouble being all three of those nations.

Last year the Warriors honoured that team by playing in a replica of the Auckland rep strip.

wwThumb.php

I personally wish they'd always play in that jersey.

Ahh, right. Holy shit, that's an amazing performance. Though I didn't know the French were much into league! How on earth did we have trouble beating them?

And I agree on the uniform matter.

Axver said:

Ahh, right. Holy shit, that's an amazing performance. Though I didn't know the French were much into league! How on earth did we have trouble beating them?

And I agree on the uniform matter.

The French apparently used to kick arse in league, and it's still wildly popular in parts like the Catalans.

Apparently league in France was dealt a rather harsh blow by the Vichy Regime, who took their assets and gave them over the rugby union, and i've been told playing league was banned there.

And yet they were still fairly good in 1977.

I still wish they'd play in the Auckland strip. It's SuperWin.

Two Z3s on Market Street pass each other as they cross Flinders Street.

This is the site of that arty/botched night shot I shared earlier.

s640x480

coolian2 said:

I was just glad not to be chased by homeless guys living there like some other stadium nerds have been

That, uh, would be pretty freaky.

I must admit one reason I'm not in too much of a hurry to buy a really good camera for night photography is I don't want to draw attention to myself at late night with some obvious wealth. I usually take off my iPod when I get off trams.

Axver said:

That, uh, would be pretty freaky.

I must admit one reason I'm not in too much of a hurry to buy a really good camera for night photography is I don't want to draw attention to myself at late night with some obvious wealth. I usually take off my iPod when I get off trams.

I'm glad i have no good reason to be in the dodgy parts of Auckland late at night.

coolian2 said:

Not tagged and largely not broken.

I fucking hate the graffiti here. The fucking place feels like a ghetto sometimes. Even the buses which are really nice normally still get some graffiti in them.

Yeah, there's graffiti through the interiors of the trams too. Some really nasty stuff carved into a number of the older trams.

There's this picture of Penrose railway station on Wikipedia. Who the FUCK would want to ride the train to or from here? I wouldn't! I'm glad it's been cleaned up since this.

800px-Penrose4.jpg

coolian2 said:
The Overflow, outside the Olympic Stadium in Sydney.

The fountain is actually what was used as the cauldron for the flame during the Sydney Olympics.

100_1174.jpg

Huh, that's cool. I wasn't aware they'd done that.

Axver said:

Yeah, there's graffiti through the interiors of the trams too. Some really nasty stuff carved into a number of the older trams.

There's this picture of Penrose railway station on Wikipedia. Who the FUCK would want to ride the train to or from here? I wouldn't! I'm glad it's been cleaned up since this.

The only dodgy graffiti i've seen in a bus here is one that said "Fuck the Crips"

All i thought was, what a wanker. Seriously. Like anybody on a Howick and Eastern bus gives a fuck about the crips.

coolian2 said:

The French apparently used to kick arse in league, and it's still wildly popular in parts like the Catalans.

Apparently league in France was dealt a rather harsh blow by the Vichy Regime, who took their assets and gave them over the rugby union, and i've been told playing league was banned there.

And yet they were still fairly good in 1977.

I still wish they'd play in the Auckland strip. It's SuperWin.

Shit, that's terrible. That's even worse than what happened to rugby in the US. Apparently before World War I, rugby - and by that, I refer to the pre-union/league split sport - had a good deal of popularity in the western states and Kiwi and Aussie teams touring England would play there on their way home.

Then World War I just killed interest in it and it never achieved a resurgence. :down:

This is sad, but i'm going to proceed anyway.

I have an airband scanner so that i can listen to air traffic around here.

A Royal Brunei flight is inbound now. The lady pilot on the radio for Royal Brunei sounds hot.

Axver said:

Shit, that's terrible. That's even worse than what happened to rugby in the US. Apparently before World War I, rugby - and by that, I refer to the pre-union/league split sport - had a good deal of popularity in the western states and Kiwi and Aussie teams touring England would play there on their way home.

Then World War I just killed interest in it and it never achieved a resurgence. :down:

Bugger.

Apparently the Yanks are the reigning Olympic champions in rugby, 1924 i think.

coolian2 said:

The only dodgy graffiti i've seen in a bus here is one that said "Fuck the Crips"

All i thought was, what a wanker. Seriously. Like anybody on a Howick and Eastern bus gives a fuck about the crips.

:lol: That's just stupid.

I've seen anti-Jewish graffiti once, on a tram that appropriately was based at a depot running services through St Kilda/Balaclava, where there's a huge Jewish population. I believe it has the largest amount of Holocaust survivors of anywhere outside Israel.

One that made me laugh was this tram where some idiot had gone through it carving "FVCK" into various places. If you're going to be pointlessly crude, why self-censor?!

coolian2 said:

A Royal Brunei flight is inbound now. The lady pilot on the radio for Royal Brunei sounds hot.

Although her voice isn't remotely as attractive as the Kiwi girl who seems to work Approach/Departure late some mornings.

coolian2 said:

:lmao:

I need a scanner for the trams and trains.

Axver said:

One that made me laugh was this tram where some idiot had gone through it carving "FVCK" into various places. If you're going to be pointlessly crude, why self-censor?!

Let's face facts, if you're getting your kicks through graffiti you really aren't going to be an intellectual high achiever.

coolian2 said:

Bugger.

Apparently the Yanks are the reigning Olympic champions in rugby, 1924 i think.

Yup, I think that's correct.

Though I hear rugby's being very seriously considered for re-admittance to the Olympics in 2012 or 2016, as softball/baseball has been ousted. I wonder what code they'll use? Given the Commonwealth Games' example, sevens would probably make the most sense.

It'll be good for the Olympic gold to come to New Zealand, where it rightfully belongs.

coolian2 said:
Let's face facts, if you're getting your kicks through graffiti you really aren't going to be an intellectual high achiever.
coolian2 said:
coolian2 said:
coolian2 said:
coolian2 said:

TRUTH.

Axver said:

Yup, I think that's correct.

Though I hear rugby's being very seriously considered for re-admittance to the Olympics in 2012 or 2016, as softball/baseball has been ousted. I wonder what code they'll use? Given the Commonwealth Games' example, sevens would probably make the most sense.

It'll be good for the Olympic gold to come to New Zealand, where it rightfully belongs.

I'm just going to say it. More countries playing softball/baseball have more chance of winning than countries playing rugby. It seems lose-lose, as interesting as it would be.

Aw, Royal Brunei is going off frequency now. Great voice and accent though.

Another one of my beloved Z3s at the intersection of William and Collins Streets.

s640x480

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom