Third Eye Blind's Greatest Hits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mediaman44

War Child
So i was very disappointed when they decided not to release a dvd with the cd and i may not buy the cd at all. I have everything but tattoo of the sun and my time in exile. It just doesn't seem worth it.

This is a really crap CD, and I say that as a fan of the band since '97.

The "extra tracks" have been available on the internet at various fansites for years now, and the only reason I can see that they released this was to fulfill their contract with their record label. And as BVS implied, they really haven't had enough hits to warrant a "Greatest Hits" CD. Especially since they've only released THREE ALBUMS worth of material (with the third one only spawning one minor hit with Blinded).

I would've probably gotten the CD if it would've included a DVD or a new track or two, but since both of those ideas were scrapped I have absolutely no plans to purchase this. A waste of a release, in my opinion.

XHendrix24 said:

The "extra tracks" have been available on the internet at various fansites for years now, and the only reason I can see that they released this was to fulfill their contract with their record label. And as BVS implied, they really haven't had enough hits to warrant a "Greatest Hits" CD. Especially since they've only released THREE ALBUMS worth of material (with the third one only spawning one minor hit with Blinded).

I would've probably gotten the CD if it would've included a DVD or a new track or two, but since both of those ideas were scrapped I have absolutely no plans to purchase this. A waste of a release, in my opinion.

agreed. 3EB had the potential to become something more than it did, but with the years between releases, and the travesty that is this "greatest hits", it may be over for them. :wave:

Letting their original guitarist, Kevin Cadogan(who was with them for 'Third Eye Blind' and 'Blue' but not for 'Out Of The Vein') was not smart. Apparently there was some kind of legal issue and by the end Jenkins and Cadogan hated each other but....they were better with Cadogan.

Furthermore, 3EB are, imo, victim of Pearl Jam Syndrome....ok, I just made that up, but it means that they made a debut record that they have yet to top and that they probably never will top. Pearl Jam can't top 'Ten', with 'Jeremy', 'Even Flow', 'Alive', 'Black', and more, and 3EB can't top 'Third Eye Blind', with 'Semi-Charmed Life', 'How's It Gonna Be', 'Jumper', 'Graduate', 'Losing A Whole Year', and more.

namkcuR said:
Letting their original guitarist, Kevin Cadogan(who was with them for 'Third Eye Blind' and 'Blue' but not for 'Out Of The Vein') was not smart. Apparently there was some kind of legal issue and by the end Jenkins and Cadogan hated each other but....they were better with Cadogan.

Furthermore, 3EB are, imo, victim of Pearl Jam Syndrome....ok, I just made that up, but it means that they made a debut record that they have yet to top and that they probably never will top. Pearl Jam can't top 'Ten', with 'Jeremy', 'Even Flow', 'Alive', 'Black', and more, and 3EB can't top 'Third Eye Blind', with 'Semi-Charmed Life', 'How's It Gonna Be', 'Jumper', 'Graduate', 'Losing A Whole Year', and more.

:yes: And that's a shame. Their debut album is one of my all time favourite albums, one of only a handful of non-U2 albums that I listen to from start to finish - no filler. I also heard way back that there was some sort of dispute with their record company, hence the lengthy time between releases?

A time is going to come soon when bands cease from the Greatest Hits cd's becuz fans already have their favorite or the "hits" compiled in favorite play lists and whatnot on special made personal cd's or iPods, MP3 players etc. The die hard fans will buy the special release cd sets tho.

XHendrix24 said:

So since what sites have these songs? I already have the "unedited" version of slow motion. My cousin bought the unedited version of blue. Amazon is selling it for pretty cheap, like $9.50 or something but I am still not sure it is worth it. I heard even the artwork is lame and has no liner notes because of the legal issues surrounding kevin cadogen's termination.

Some fan sites say there is to be new album next year but I'll believe that when i see it. Out of the vein was pushed back 8 months from its original release date

they have some good songs, but a greatest hits? wow. I remember when Greatest Hits cd's were really greatest hits cds, not just released singles thrown together from some flash in a pan.

PS - I saw 3EB at a local college when they first came out w/ Semi Charmed Kind of Life and they were bad. Jenkins was horrible although it could have been the accoustics

They did do "I Will Follow" in their encore though.:drool:

Numb1075 said:
they have some good songs, but a greatest hits? wow. I remember when Greatest Hits cd's were really greatest hits cds, not just released singles thrown together from some flash in a pan.

PS - I saw 3EB at a local college when they first came out w/ Semi Charmed Kind of Life and they were bad. Jenkins was horrible although it could have been the accoustics

They did do "I Will Follow" in their encore though.:drool:

I've seen them live... and have heard friends that saw them live, and it seems that everyone has the same impression... their lead singer is terrible.

I wasn't just the accoustics...

Hmmm... I seem to think that buying their self-titled and Blue album would be enough greatest hits right there. Like VintagePunk said, no filler. :up:

I haven't listened to them in a while; perhaps now's the time. :cool:

Third Eye Blind is the only release by them you would really need anyway. The other two albums are quite patchy, and I always felt like every song on the self-titled was strong and catchy enough to be a single.

I kinda thought the self titled album had two different styles the first 10 were very pop loud up beat whereas the last four were slower more ballad like. If you liked the last four, then get Blue too. It is mostly like the last portion of the self titled debut. It almost works to listen to them back to back.

mediaman44 said:

So since what sites have these songs? I already have the "unedited" version of slow motion. My cousin bought the unedited version of blue. Amazon is selling it for pretty cheap, like $9.50 or something but I am still not sure it is worth it. I heard even the artwork is lame and has no liner notes because of the legal issues surrounding kevin cadogen's termination.

Some fan sites say there is to be new album next year but I'll believe that when i see it. Out of the vein was pushed back 8 months from its original release date

http://jacobvandy.com/3eb.html

That site has pretty much all of the extra releases that you'd need. Tattoo of the Sun in particular is very good as far as B-Sides go. :up:

Also, some of their demos are pretty interesting, such as Scattered and Gorgeous. And the site features some of the songs off of the Symphony of Decay EP that was shelved after being told by the record company that it "wouldn't sell." It's mostly instrumental, but also includes a full band version of My Time in Exile (different from the regular just-piano version), and was going to include the unedited Slow Motion because before the Greatest Hits, it never got a real US release.

And if that site's missing anything, their fansite has a lot of files, too. Mainly different edits/mixes of singles and b-sides, but just for the sake of being a completist:

http://www.3eb.co.uk/index.php?page=audio_main

Last edited:
Haha, following in the footsteps of other honest, sweet and nostalgic, but forgotten 90's bands releasing greatest hits. Gin Blossoms, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Rembrandts, better Than Ezra, Coutning Crows, Hootie and the Blowfish.....someone should write a thesis on it...

intedomine said:
Haha, following in the footsteps of other honest, sweet and nostalgic, but forgotten 90's bands releasing greatest hits. Gin Blossoms, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Rembrandts, better Than Ezra, Coutning Crows, Hootie and the Blowfish.....someone should write a thesis on it...

It didn't need to be that way, these guys are seriously talented. :(

I remember the stupid things, the mood rings, the bracelets and the beads, nickles and dimes, yours and mine,did you cash in all your dreams, you don't dream for me, no, you don't dream for me no...but I still feel your pulse like a sonar, from the days and the waves, I would like to say, that girl is like a sunburn...she's like sunburn... :drool:

Back
Top Bottom