Thinking of Moving To Sarasota

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phattom

The Fly
I've been there a bunch of times but only on vacation and loved it. Anyways I was wondering if anyone knew anything about living there or around the area.

I work for a company who has an office in Sarasota. We have 5 people who work in that office and report to our San Diego headquarters. All of them live in the area, one off in Satellite Beach. They all love it. As concerned we all were about them and the recent hurricane season, they all seemed to be fine with it. What else would you like to know? Perhaps I could put you in touch with these folks, or have them answer your questions.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
My fiance and I are moving to western Florida soon...

good idea. skips the rush. i mean, most couples wait until after retirement to move down there. you'll be ahead of schedule. :up:

Oh I would love to speak to your friends Carek! I'm actually going down there in I think June to scope everything out and such forth. It's weird there because it's obviously not a happening place like New York or whatever but you don't care. You just feel good there, and that seems to go for everybody whose ever been there.

Carek1230 said:
I work for a company who has an office in Sarasota. We have 5 people who work in that office and report to our San Diego headquarters. All of them live in the area, one off in Satellite Beach. They all love it. As concerned we all were about them and the recent hurricane season, they all seemed to be fine with it. What else would you like to know? Perhaps I could put you in touch with these folks, or have them answer your questions.

Where are you moving to?

Depends on where we get jobs! I'd be happy with anything from Bradenton to Naples. I love southwestern Florida and am semi-familiar with certain areas. I'm getting married at the end of Sept. and moving there was something I wanted to do before I even met my fiance. I think I've convinced him that if we're going to take the risk of packing up and leaving, we should do it right away before we make commitments here, kids, etc. I have a possible job opportunity in Fort Myers (actually got hooked up by someone from Interference!) and my fiance applied for several jobs in Lee and Collier county.

Last edited:
You know moving to Florida really isn't that big of a risk simply because the cost of living is so cheap, especially compared to any big city, or practically big state, in the country.

I know, my parents think it's a stupid idea, b/c currently we live in west Michigan where the economy is worse than the national one and housing is cheap, but you can't get jobs here, it's impossible. I've found living arrangements in Florida for the same prices as here AND I've been told it will be much easier to find a job there.

I have an aunt and uncle who live down there in the winter. Beautiful area. Can't remember which town they are in at the moment, though.

Florida is nice, but I don't think I could live there. As much as winter sucks sometimes, I prefer seasons. :)

And yeah, I can do without hurricanes. :wink:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Lies, my ex's mom lived in Bradenton - beautiful city. :yes:

I wish you guys nothing but luck this fall! :hug:

Thanks, April :hug:

We'd fight right in down in Bradenton. They have a decent sized Dutch CRC community :giggle: Oh wait, that was part of the reason I want to move....

phattom said:
I've been there a bunch of times but only on vacation and loved it. Anyways I was wondering if anyone knew anything about living there or around the area.

Yo :wave: I live in Sarasota. It's a real nice place to live. The cost of living and home prices are skyrocketing though. I would look a bit outside of Sarasota...... Like Lakewood Ranch, Bradenton, Osprey, Nokomis, North Port, Venice or Englewood. The only other thing I suggest is that because the area is in such a Building Boom right now be sure to have work lined up before you come down here.

come to florida 80 degrees year round and no state taxes :)

Ybor is right too, the housing market is outta control here. homes are way overpriced, and most of what is affordable are condos that were formally apartments.

Where'sTheLove said:
come to florida 80 degrees year round and no state taxes :)

Ybor is right too, the housing market is outta control here. homes are way overpriced, and most of what is affordable are condos that were formally apartments.

What if you're not looking to buy? Are apartments reasonable? (1 bathroom, 1 bedroom)

phanan said:

Florida is nice, but I don't think I could live there. As much as winter sucks sometimes, I prefer seasons. :)

:yes: I lived in Miami for awhile; too hot and too slow paced for a New Yorker like me

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

What if you're not looking to buy? Are apartments reasonable? (1 bathroom, 1 bedroom)

i haven't rented in years and those i know who rent say it's easier with a roommate. one girlfriend pays about $1,000/month for her 1/1.5, but that's all relative to the location she resides.

Where'sTheLove said:

i haven't rented in years and those i know who rent say it's easier with a roommate. one girlfriend pays about $1,000/month for her 1/1.5, but that's all relative to the location she resides.

Absolutely. If you get an apartment in Longboat Key then it might be pretty expensive. But it can still be pretty inexpensive outside of downtown Sarasota.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom