Thinking about buying a Macintosh.... am I making a mistake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBrazilianFly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
For years I’ve been thinking about getting a Macintosh computer and now I think it will happen, there’s a lot of things there that I like. Like the movie and music editors, I have worked on it a few times and it was great, I really loved it and there’s a whole lot more of course that I haven’t fully used just messed around with! Plus windows is starting to annoy me… :crack: But I always listen people say that it can give you problems cause there’s a lot of stuff missing that I won’t be able to get and that it’s too different and stuff. But at the same time those who have it say they would never change it again. So I’m confused. Anyone here has a Mac at home? Should I get one or not?

If you buy a G5 I dont' think you'll regret it. They've become alot faster and more compatable. But there are other people here who know more about computers than me so listen to them.

I have one at work.

I prefer the Windows platform myself and you can get a much faster processor with Windows. If you are just surfing, it likely makes no difference to you. When you're doing things like DNA sequencing and pulling up long things out of GenBank, yes, it does make a noticeable difference, and don't let any Mac user tell you otherwise.

I would only get one type of Mac - the Powerbook, although I do feel it is overpriced. The other Macs are aesthetically pleasing, but I don't really find that Windows XP is as unstable as some of the previous versions. Also, it is much simpler and cheaper to build your own PC and tinker with it later than a Mac, which essentiall you have to get from Apple or an authorized dealer.

I don't know if you'd have much trouble switching over. If you use specific programs, make sure they have them on a Mac, otherwise it shouldn't be a big deal for you. In terms of price, I think you'll find you'll pay more for a Mac than a comparable PC.

Bottom line for me = Powerbook is a nice comp (crazy overpriced though), but the rest of the Mac line? Not worth it for my money.

Good answers, thanks a lot for them. I'm still thinking. I'm studding for Advertising (or Publicity, I don't know how you call it there) and there's a lot of graphic stuff to do.... the model I'm buying is a G4 by the way, I wanted the G5 but it's too expensive, they all are. :yikes:

Who's Steve Ballmer by the way? :hmm:

Depends what you want to do with it. I run a lot of family tree programs on my pc and there arent mac versions of some of the programs.

But if you are studying media, the media people at my work have macs so maybe macs are better for that sort of thing? Is the computer for your studies? What do your lecturers use / recommend?

beli said:
Depends what you want to do with it. I run a lot of family tree programs on my pc and there arent mac versions of some of the programs.

But if you are studying media, the media people at my work have macs so maybe macs are better for that sort of thing? Is the computer for your studies? What do your lecturers use / recommend?

Yes, I'm studying media! :up: The computer is for studies and recreational times! :wink: So far I have only used power point for lectures and I was told that there are versions of power point for Macintosh as there are for other programs.

I also want to record my music to the computer and edit it. I really need to do that! The programs I used have all been a pain in the ass and haven't really helped me and the Macs have a program called BIAS Peak that seems to be really good. I have used iMovie, a program to edit movies, I edited a project I had to make of a storyboard :D I sequenced it and added music and stuff, nothing much but I really liked it!

I think it's going to be fine for college but I'm just a little afraid that it's going to give me trouble with the others normal stuff, cause many people don't use macs at home.

Um, if you're doing anything with video editing, image editing, music....that kind of stuff, you'll definitely want the Mac.

I'm studying Advertising (or publicity, or media... I'll do ads whenever I'll work), and the Macs are really the way to go

I went once to a Advertising Agency (Young & Rubicam) and everyone in the "creation" area used PowerMac G5 :drool:, but they were like the G4, all in 1 big screen... the PowerMac they're selling to normal people is like a normal PC, with the box in the side and the screen (only prettier :) )

The iMac G5 (the screen only computers) are the way to go I think, or the G4, especially if you work with Photoshop, Illustrator, Freehand, Flash, Director, etc etc. Plus, you get Garage Band (I'm a rock-star in progress :wink: )

Plus, everything Apple builds and creates is BEAUTIFUL, and you get special atention when you have a problem, you get classes of some things. IMPORTANT: try to buy it in an MAC shop, one that deals especially with Macs... if you get it at any shop, you may lose

The only downside is that not all the programs are for Macs, but I think that when you get a Mac you get permission to send whoever you want to hell... Apple ROCKS!!!

Yet.. I'd still wait to see what happens with Windows Longhorn, which should hit stands by the end of 2005... because with XP you have to use patches and all kinds of things for internet

PS: what's the company name... Macintosh or Apple?... or is still Apple Macintosh? :|

Last edited:
Garage band is good... not thaaaaaaaat good, but it's good for a start... a lot of sounds and instruments

About the assistance... it might be a little expensive, because is a Mac, and you can't send a Mac to any computer shop, but you'll know for sure that they'll get the job done real good

Bye

I work in the Graphic Arts field. Apple is the primary format used. If you are planning to go into the Advertising Business you'll see a lot of Macs.

If you want a easy to use computer you can't go wrong with a Mac.

I'm studying media and Mac is the only computer I will use, I have a powerbook G4 and love it!!!

Seriously though, I've had this computer for about 3 years now, and have never gotten a virus, spyware, spam, or pop-ups. It's also a much more stable system, the computer has freezed on me maybe two times...

On the media side of things, macs come with awesome programs for photo, music, video-editing, dvd... and are all integrated -- garageband is good, but like i-movie it's an amateur's program, soundtrack i hear, is much more advanced. I have final cut pro for video editing also, which is a great program. I'm friends with a few photographers in the area, and I know a few people at an advertising agency and they all have macs.

Money side of things -- I'd get a powerbook G4 which will run you aroud 2,000 or so with the dvd burner and such... if you want something real cheap you can get an ibook for 999, but i'd stick with the powerbook -- they are much cooler. And as for support which is like 299 or something like that for a 3 year warranty (which includes all damages to the computer). I'd also suggest getting .mac which includes a email, your own homepage, backup stuff, free games... etc... so ya, i guess it could get pretty pricey, but it's very much worth it...

The Beatles are once again sueing Apple for using their brand name. Apparently last time they came to the agreement that Apple can use the name as long as they dont go into the music business..... which they now have with Itunes. So the fight for the name is on again.

Back
Top Bottom