Things I miss about the 80's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
- My teenage years, had a great time

- My bedroom that was wallpapered with all different photos and posters (U2, The Cure, Duran Duran, Echo & The Bunnymen, Johnny Depp, Gene Love Jezebel, INXS, etc..

- Thundercats, Must See TV on NBC (Family Ties, Cheers, The Cosby Show, Night Court), School House Rocks in between cartoons on Saturday.

- Going to concerts with my friends at Astroworld.

- All the John Hughes movies :drool:

- Summers off sleeping in till about 11 am.

- MTV

- Who Shot J.R.? & Dynasty

There are so many more, just not enough space. If I could I would re-live my school years in the 80's. :D

Ah the 80's...

MTV -when it was good

big hair - I had to have it...

dressing as Madonna for halloween

dressing as Elvira for halloween

being "in love" with Bon Jovi, Johnny Depp, Tommy Lee and Rick Savage (Def Lep)

Seeing U2 5 times during JT tour - all in Europe. We were suppose to be on an "educational school trip" but it turned into the Bono stalking tour... :D

Blue Room said:

:laugh: Sorry your Mom blew up Ricky............. :laugh: A classic movie.

Best line of the whole movie next to it's real aardvark fur everyone will be wearing one this xmas season

French fries, french bread and peru :lol:

one4u2 said:

Best line of the whole movie next to it's real aardvark fur everyone will be wearing one this xmas season

:laugh: :up: good stuff. I need to rent it again, it has been eons since I have seen it. Alot of great physical humor in it also. The beginning when he is dating his original girlfriend and both think they have something in their nose and are afraid to the tell the other.... :laugh:

Those wild college years

Becoming a U2 fan

Getting away with wearing stuff like denim miniskirts

The Talking Heads were still together and so were the Police (for a while anyway)

Old-school video games (Frogger, Pac-Man, etc.)

No reality TV

MTV's Game Show "Remote Control" with Ken Ober and Colin Quinn :up:

Nintendo and Atari Video Games :applaud:

MTV Videos with hosts Kurt Loder and Martha Quinn :bow:

Milton Bradley Board Game ... Dark Tower :love:

TV Shows ... Miami Vice, Happy Days and Laverne And Shirley. :heart:

Restaurants ... Down The Hatch, Chi-Chi's Mexican and Copperfield's :drool:

- U2 actually touring New Zealand.
- New Zealand being the world champions. Well, OK, we still are and always will be but in the eighties we had the Cup to prove it.

one4u2 said:

Do you know the street value of this mountain?

They fuckin forgot my birthday-sixteen candles

Champion sweatshirts
enough rubber bracelets on my wrist to make a tire out of
Shaper hair spray
Capri cigarettes (anyone remember those?)
The smurfs

Blue Room said:

:laugh: Its funny you mention that, because when I found Larry's sticks the other day (see my journal) my old Rubiks cube was also in the box. So I pulled that out also and found that I still remember how to solve it, just not as quickly. :nerd: :laugh:

Larry's sticks:drool:

I could never solve it. I peeled the stickers off instead and restuck them back on.:reject:

When I was visiting India in July, I found a rubicks cube being sold at a little shop on the sidewalk. Hadn't seen one in years, so immediately bought it. Still couldn't solve it. :slant:
My sister was really cracking it though! :wink:

My friend has a book with how to solve the Rubiks cube and I managed to do one side of the cube, which was a real achievement for me.:happy:

U2Kitten said:
Being a teenager with no responsibilties

real music and videos on MTV

cheap gas prices, freedom to take all the rides you want

U2 being the biggest thing on MTV and in the world!

JT Bono looking soooo hot with his long hair and bare chest :drool:

:up: Well, I did have responsibilities; I had an after-school job, had to help my mom with her jobs, schoolwork, etc. But I was younger, much slimmer and didn't have quite so much grey hair! :sigh:

I went to my first (and so far only) U2 Concert: the second Tempe show on the Joshua Tree tour. My ticket cost $16, and I still had a good view of the stage! The Edge looked so handsome, with his clean-shaven face and long hair in the ponytail... :drool:

I remember wearing "designer jeans" and getting my legs all blue because of the dye used on them......:laugh:....then, you had to wash them separately, otherwise your other clothes would turn blue!

While JT is not my favorite U2 album, I will admit to missing that era of U2. Bono's voice was always strong and I liked his look then. He was a little preachy and corny as a result, but his vocals and attitude made up for it.

What I miss most, though, as far as music, was the ability to hear just about anything on the radio. If you wanted silly pop, it was there, but along with great stuff from groups like U2, R.E.M., Depeche Mode, The Smiths, The Police, etc. Rap - and fun rap, not gangsta or vulgarity-filled rants - was present too.

The 80's seemed to take the good from the 60's and 70's and left out the bad. Granted, there was plenty bad in the 80's too, but even the bad seemed a bit more colorful and creative. Like clothing - stuff you'd never wear now, but it was fun then (pastel clothes for men, Miami Vice type suits).

For me pesonally, I went from a teen to a 20-something in that decade, so there were lots of firsts and achievements. Like graduating high school and college, getting my driver's license and then my first car, moving out of my parents' home to my own place, getting my first NEW car, getting a nicer apartment, etc. Those can never be repeated. Getting a new home or car is always fun - but it doesn't quite have the same magic as it once did.

All of that said, what I love about today's world is, by far, the 'net. Getting to hear and see U2 concerts days or weeks after they were performed is fantastic. Technology is also so strong that no longer do we hear these crappy boots filled with audience noise, or horrible video. We get clear images and far clearer audio - and it's downloadable! No searching reclusive record stores for a treasure. I love iPods! I love special effects (if used wisely) in movies. I love having access to information immediately.

Certain styles from the 80's are already returning and it's just a matter of time before more radio stations start changing their formats again. Perhaps, some day, we'll have the best of the past and present. Sadly, we can't have JT-era Bono any more, but we have pictures and video and that'll do. ;) Besides, do we really want a JT-era Bono now - at 45? :huh:

A few things i can think of for now is:

1. Discovering U2 of course! :heart:

2. Watching the Brit. tv show The tube - It was a fantastic time for music tv over here&i loved Jools&Paulas' style of presenting :love: :up: And of course, that was when we first saw her flirt like crazy with Michael Hutchence!

3. Going to London for the 1st time to see Duran Duran!!!! :D It was overwhelming&to see at first hand all the other girls going NUTS over Simon or John! Experiencing that was the closest i'll get to Beatlemania, ever i think! :ohmy:

Like RR, i'll prob think of lots more later on! :wink:

Now that I think about it....there is one thing I do miss....my 1987 Corvette.......which is now a 2005 Corvette............how soon we forget the way things were?

;)

susanp6 said:

. Going to London for the 1st time to see Duran Duran!!!! :D It was overwhelming&to see at first hand all the other girls going NUTS over Simon or John! Experiencing that was the closest i'll get to Beatlemania, ever i think! :ohmy:

OK I still react that way to Simon :reject:

Axver said:
- U2 actually touring New Zealand.
- New Zealand being the world champions. Well, OK, we still are and always will be but in the eighties we had the Cup to prove it.

To add to that:

- David Lange (translation: a national leader who could, gasp, speak and debate with incredible competence!). If only national leaders today had his oratory abilities ...

Back
Top Bottom