Things I Hate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
I hate it when released songs are simply called "Untitled". Sure, sometimes they slap a number on the end or something, but..."Untitled"? Come on! Is that the best you can do?? Call it "Chair", call it "Oatmeal", just call it SOMETHING!

I also hate it when a person releases a self-titled album that is not their debut. I mean, not that I'm crazy about self-titled releases to begin with, but I am a bit more understanding about it when people do it to their debut albums...it's more of a focus on your name. People only have your name to remember, not a name and an album title. Like, for example, Franz Ferdinand. However...on the opposite end...Leona Naess. Her first two CDs had titles, and then her third one was self-titled? Why??? Is that the best you could do for a title??? Come on, I know you're more creative than that! Call it SOMETHING!

Okay, I feel better.

Anybody care to (nicely) disagree with me? Or rant about your own musical hates?

P.S. By asking that question, I don't mean any "[insert band name here] sucks!" comments. Just general things.

I hate 20 yr old pop stars who release "Greatest Hits" albums. :angry: **cough..... Britney...... cough**

Never mind that applying the adjective "great" to any of their songs is questionable, how the HELL do you qualify a Best of type of album before you're even old enough to have a celebratory adult beverage?!?!?!? :shrug: :madspit:

I hate anyone who releases Greatest Hits albums. They're an admission that the show is over.

There, I said it.

(edited to say that this might be a little tongue-in-cheek).

Oh and I hate Rob Thomas. But that's like shooting fish in a barrel, it's just that his 'long awaited' solo 'album' was just 'released'.

Good calls on most of this stuff..

I would just like to say that Franz Ferdinand's second album will also be called Franz Ferdinand, but have a different colour scheme, and they plan to do this for every album the release, and I think that is way cool.

SkeeK said:

I would just like to say that Franz Ferdinand's second album will also be called Franz Ferdinand, but have a different colour scheme, and they plan to do this for every album the release, and I think that is way cool.

I disagree. I think it sucks. But I like Franz Ferdinand, so I'll have to go with "sucktacular".

According to NME.com Franz Ferdinand have now changed their album title and have actually given it a name. the new album is to be called - ’You Could Have It So Much Better…With Franz Ferdinand’.

So there :wink:

I started typing this b4 1stepcloser's reply

But how confusing will that be?! "It all went downhill following the Franz Ferdinand album" "Which one?" "The blue one" "Oh." See how many breaths I've wasted with those extra three words that would be unnecessary if they'd called it a completely different name?

And what happens if they release tons of albums? "They never bettered the sunset orange album" "No, no, no, the lava orange album was waaaaay better".

And imagine asking for it in the shops! "Can I have Franz Ferdinand by Franz Ferdinand please?" "Certainly madam, which colour of the rainbow would you prefer?"

On the other hand it is a different approach, so I celebrate its originality and creativity if not its practicality.

Last edited:
I hate the freaking sticker thing on brand new CDs that keeps them closed.

I hate it when those stickers rip apart and become a huge pain to remove.

I hate it even worse when the glue will not come off of the CD cover. I'm so anal that I"ll spend hours until I get it all off and it looks perfect.

I hate it when a price tag is placed by the store directly over a sticker on the cover giving information on the album, you really couldnt find a better place to put the price??????!!!

I hate it when you open up your cd to find that the plastic thing that holds it in place is broken or smashed (most newer cds have found better ways to make sure this doesnt happen).

I hate when you open a cd case only to see your cd go flying out of it because it does not fit snuggly inside of the case (see the above related complaint).

I hate it when your cd case is broken, but you couldnt tell that when you bought it.

I hate buying a cd that has some flaw/scratch in it that makes it unplayable on some of your cd players but not on others.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Most of these are pretty good. But to answer the thread author's original question about the reason why albums after the debut are sometimes self-titled actually makes sense sometimes. Artist often revert to a 'stripped-down' sound and/or attitude and they feel the collection of songs better represents them as a band, person or artist, therefore they title the album to represent its similarity to themselves. Does that help in any way?

My pet hate is Frank Ferdinand.

No, just kidding.

Probably my pet hate would be all that 1970s prog rock stuff. Utter drivel most of it.

Self-titled albums, Blur's self titled 1997 album was probably their best, funnily enough.

U2 popmofo I agree on everything you said!! It is such a frikkin PAIN!!!!! especially the little sticker that keeps it closed......

I hate it when......

You open the Cd case for the first time and the case cover breaks off!!! argh

u2popmofo said:

I hate it even worse when the glue will not come off of the CD cover. I'm so anal that I"ll spend hours until I get it all off and it looks perfect.

I hate it when a price tag is placed by the store directly over a sticker on the cover giving information on the album, you really couldnt find a better place to put the price??????!!!

I hate it when you open up your cd to find that the plastic thing that holds it in place is broken or smashed (most newer cds have found better ways to make sure this doesnt happen).

I hate when you open a cd case only to see your cd go flying out of it because it does not fit snuggly inside of the case (see the above related complaint).

I hate it when your cd case is broken, but you couldnt tell that when you bought it.

I hate buying a cd that has some flaw/scratch in it that makes it unplayable on some of your cd players but not on others.

:bow:

This is partly why I'm in love with iTunes now. :shh:

prisz25 said:

You open the Cd case for the first time and the case cover breaks off!!! argh

Agreed.

I hate it when you open up your new cd and the inside plastic is clear and you see one of those anti-theft devices that set off the store beepers staring you right in the face under the plastic.

I hate having to be careful not to break the cd case trying to get it opened so you can remove this anti-theft device. I hate it even worse if you DO actually break your brand new CD case trying to do this.

I hate getting that opened only to find out for some idiotic reason they stuck it to the paper, not the plastic. There is no way to remove them from paper without damaging it.

I hate the huge eye-sores on the back of most new big label CD cases which generally contain one of the following: Copying is illegal, FBI Warning, or whatever other RIAA crock of crap that they think is going to stop the music from being circulated outside of a retail outlet.

I hate paper-sleeve cases that are difficult to remove the CD from and can/do damage your actual CD. I also hate knowing that they're being made more and more now because they're far cheaper for the label to make, thus increasing profits while claiming things like "this is better for the environment", and knowing that these cases will possibly end up wearing the CD out and cause the listener to have to buy a new one.

Last edited:
I've said it once and I'll say it again: People who put stickers on cardboard cd packages should be executed.
16.gif

SkeeK said:
Good calls on most of this stuff..

Well Weezer already did that twice... (the green album and the blue album).

I hate it when CDs have this dumb anti-piracy thing that makes it nearly impossible to listen to them! Apparently legally buying a CD doesn't get you much these days... I tried to play the Kings of Leon CD I bought in my computer, but I had to install some dumb plug-in, and I couldn't get it to work! So I went to the "Open CD" website or whatever it was and I had to like go into my C drive and change shit, just to listen to a bloody CD! Finally I get the thing to work and it opens its own player thing that won't let me copy it onto my computer, which basically rendered the thing useless. I have an iPod so I never really listen to CDs, I just rip them in iTunes and put 'em on Bono (that's his name ^_^), I don't even have a portable CD player anymore... has anyone else had trouble with this new anti-piracy CDs? My friend got me the Dead 60s album, but I haven't been able to listen to that one either, because my dumb stepmom has administrative privelages on this computer and so I can't bloody install anything...

Oh, I also hate it when bands name themselves "Hoobastank." It's a growing trend; the number of bands named Hoobstank has increased 100% in the last five or so years.

I agree with everyone about the CD packaging, such a hassle... takes forever to open the damn thing and when you finally do it's broken and the disc pops out! argh...:mad:

TheFly84138 said:
Most of these are pretty good. But to answer the thread author's original question about the reason why albums after the debut are sometimes self-titled actually makes sense sometimes. Artist often revert to a 'stripped-down' sound and/or attitude and they feel the collection of songs better represents them as a band, person or artist, therefore they title the album to represent its similarity to themselves. Does that help in any way?

I'd actually thought of that as a reason, but it's a suck reason that still doesn't justify it for me. Also, if that's the case, then it makes me feel like the albums previously released then were phony...and that makes me feel cheated. Therefore, I still hate it. :wink:

AtomicBono said:

Well Weezer already did that twice... (the green album and the blue album).

Oh, I hate that. I didn't realize there was a green one, and I bought the blue one. I told someone I'd bought Weezer, and they asked me which one, and I was all confused. I was thinking, I bought Weezer, dumbass! I just said that!! :lol:

Bonochick said:

I'd actually thought of that as a reason, but it's a suck reason that still doesn't justify it for me. Also, if that's the case, then it makes me feel like the albums previously released then were phony...and that makes me feel cheated. Therefore, I still hate it. :wink:

I wouldn't say that makes the other albums phony, I think it's just the artist's way of showing where they are in that point of their creative process. Take Metallica for example. They felt the only way they could effectively express themselves on their fifth album was to make the entire cover black and simply call it "Metallica" and let the music speak for itself.

Also, you should remember it's just an album title. :wink:

u2popmofo said:

I think we're of the same mold.

Points 1, 2 and the last one, I especially hated yesterday. I was trying to open a new CD (ok, I was driving, too :reject: ) so I could hear the opening track really really loud on my fabulous car CD player and it turned into the little sticky piece of crap from hell. When I finally got it off, it wouldn't play in the relatively new car player but played at home on the indestructable CD player I bought the year they first hit the consumer market.

Here's a tip: usually when a CD doesn't at first play in one CD player but will play in another one, after I play it on the one that works it will usually then work in the one that didn't at first (you still with me?). Such was the case with this new CD. Played fine in the car this morning after I played it at home. :shrug:

I hate most modern music. For the most part, music died in the early 1990s.

Bonochick said:
I hate it when released songs are simply called "Untitled". Sure, sometimes they slap a number on the end or something, but..."Untitled"? Come on! Is that the best you can do?? Call it "Chair", call it "Oatmeal", just call it SOMETHING!

I also hate it when a person releases a self-titled album that is not their debut. I mean, not that I'm crazy about self-titled releases to begin with, but I am a bit more understanding about it when people do it to their debut albums...it's more of a focus on your name. People only have your name to remember, not a name and an album title. Like, for example, Franz Ferdinand. However...on the opposite end...Leona Naess. Her first two CDs had titles, and then her third one was self-titled? Why??? Is that the best you could do for a title??? Come on, I know you're more creative than that! Call it SOMETHING!

Okay, I feel better.

Anybody care to (nicely) disagree with me? Or rant about your own musical hates?

P.S. By asking that question, I don't mean any "[insert band name here] sucks!" comments. Just general things.

haha, you would totally not like some of John Frusciante's solo records, he has songs called " untitled" untitled 12" " untitled 17" and so on

Re: Re: Things I Hate

DeadMansParty said:

haha, you would totally not like some of John Frusciante's solo records, he has songs called " untitled" untitled 12" " untitled 17" and so on

If I had his number, I'd call him up and say, "Sassy Orange, Sky Drops, and Amethyst Lover. THERE! Three titles! Go nuts!"

Back
Top Bottom