Things I Hate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
intedomine said:
Album titles are necessities, even if it is as bland as FRANZ FERDINAND 2. Just offer the people something with which to refer to the album as.

Many artists play the colour or self-titled record card, but it's not always an act of pretention. Bands like Led Zeppelin made self-titled sequels, since each record represented their life as artists in a given time frame.

Sometimes colours can often be a more precise indicator of the mood or intention behind an album, as opposed to the tacking on of words for convenient reference (I don't quite understand how that would part of any "creative process"). If you would like, I could find out the exact paint mixture required to create the new Franz Ferdinand album colour, and then I will personally sign each record with an imposed (and clever) word title.

Surely, you will all enjoy the new FF offering that much more when it is arbitrarily labelled Aquamarine Olive Dogwood #268.

:sexywink:

I hate it when...

people are singing along to songs but they insist on singing everything before the song says it....For example while the intro is played they sing the first few lines of the song.... Well i don't hate it, it just annoys the heck out of me!

I hate people that go to concerts because they heard the band was good but never actually heard anything by them and then get drunk and talk louder than the band can sing for the entire show....

I hate people who rate The Rolling Stones over Floyd, U2 and Beatles in all-time greatness.

And yes, drunk people at concerts.

I hate people (usually drunk) who continuously yell out for songs they know damned well the band does not like and will not play, just to get noticed or get a reaction.

Of course, these people are usually standing right beside me. :mad: I've had dreams where the musicians think the offending party is me and even thought I tell them it isn't me, I get kicked out. :grumpy: :sad:

(and the bastards that are really doing it get to stay!! :madspit: )

God, I missed this thread. I hate booklets that are gigantic and even though they might be very nice booklets, I can't ever look at them because it takes me 20 minutes to get it out the case.

I also hate it when there's a horrible song that rips off some better song to fool me into listening to it. Like, what's that song that's popular right now that has basically the same melody as the verse of "Staring at the Sun"? That gets me every time.

u2popmofo said:
I hate the freaking sticker thing on brand new CDs that keeps them closed.

I hate it when those stickers rip apart and become a huge pain to remove.

I hate it even worse when the glue will not come off of the CD cover. I'm so anal that I"ll spend hours until I get it all off and it looks perfect.

I hate it when a price tag is placed by the store directly over a sticker on the cover giving information on the album, you really couldnt find a better place to put the price??????!!!

I hate it when you open up your cd to find that the plastic thing that holds it in place is broken or smashed (most newer cds have found better ways to make sure this doesnt happen).

I hate when you open a cd case only to see your cd go flying out of it because it does not fit snuggly inside of the case (see the above related complaint).

I hate it when your cd case is broken, but you couldnt tell that when you bought it.

I hate buying a cd that has some flaw/scratch in it that makes it unplayable on some of your cd players but not on others.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

and this is why mofo needs to come back.

adam's_mistress said:

Ah yes, the trick of the trade! ;) It's great once you get the hang of it.

I worked in a record store for many years, so yeah. Had to show a lot of people how to do this.

After unwrapping the clear plastic wrap from the cd, locate the spine of the jewel case - on the left side (I'm sure you know where that is, but you'd be surprised at how many people I had to explain this to.) At the bottom of the spine, gently lift up to disengage the cover from from the bottom portion of the jewel case. You'll notice a little clear nub or plastic tab that holds the spine and jewel case together.

Once the cover is disengaged, flip the cover upwards (like you would a calendar.) The annoying top sticker should be the only thing holding the jewel case together. Next, pull the cover and bottom part of the jewel case apart by slowly using a tearing motion, sort of like if you were tearing a page out of a magazine. Lock and load!! Works every time and you don't have to wrestle with goo.

If I could, I'd make a quick time film if I could, because my explanation is probably more confusing than the process really is. :confused:

i didn't see anyone say this, but while that trick works, unless you're really careful it breaks that little nub off and you're stuck with a broken case. i open them that way at the radio station when we get new cds with a sticker, and most of the time when i buy cds, but only because once i buy the cd i stick it in a binder and don't go back into the case unless i absoltely have to for lyrics.

:down: cd cases just suck.

I hate it when....

You accidentally step on a CD case and the front cracks, it pisses me off big time.

That and when people eat with their mouth open, I'm kinda anal about that.

OK my 'Best of The Verve' CD case (well, actually that little thing that holds the CD in place) has broken for no apparent reason. :sad: :mad: I now keep on picking little bits of plastic out of the CD case. :|

I hate people at the concerts who stand next to you and talk, talk, talk loudly all throughout, often on topics totally unrelated to the concert. Go to the bar or something.

I hate dropping my CD cases on the floor so that the front lid falls off and you can't attach it back and it keeps falling off again every time you want to take the CD out.

I hate the remixes where they take an old song and play it over some stupid dancey toof-toof beat. Like that lame "My Baby Shot Me Down" remix they keep on playing on the radio where I live, :mad:

related to the people talking loudly at concerts, i hate when i find show bootlegs and you can hear people talking. i don't mean random drunk people yelling out the names of songs, or even when the recording picked up a certain person's loud singing. that makes me laugh almost as much as i laugh at them when i witness this at shows. i'm talking conversations.

people who get up in the middle of concerts to go out and get a hot dog or soda. this is something i will never understand. i understand going to get a beer at the bar in the back of a club. but in an arena, going out to the concourse to get nachos? there is no reason to get nachos in the middle of a concert.

IWasBored said:
related to the people talking loudly at concerts, i hate when i find show bootlegs and you can hear people talking. i don't mean random drunk people yelling out the names of songs, or even when the recording picked up a certain person's loud singing. that makes me laugh almost as much as i laugh at them when i witness this at shows. i'm talking conversations.

Yes! I hate that. :mad:

Why did you go to a concert if all you're gonna do is talk during it? And the conversations are dreadfully boring to boot. :madspit:

I hate people who write reviews like music journalists on Amazon.com.

I hate any music review that contains this phrase or similar: "X's passionate vocals, Y's amazing guitar work, Z's funky drumming and A's fantastic basslines".

As a general rule I dislike the notion of collecting bootlegs. On a related note, I hate the term 'live concert'. It is tautological.

I don't like people who listen exclusively to classic rock while deriding today's bands. If say, I don't know, the Arcade Fire was making music in 1968 these people would think they were the greatest band ever.

I also hate progressive rock, New Age music and seventies stadium rock (well most of it anyway). And Muse. I fucking hate Muse. But I know some of you, sadly, still insist that Matt Bellamy is a living god while worshipping at the triplicate altars of Satan (or in other words, Pink Floyd, Kitaro and Led Zeppelin) so nevermind. Opinion as fact, different tastes, all that jazz. Peace and love, yeah?:wink:

I hate it when artists reference their own older songs in new songs or videos. Like the video for Alicia Keys' "A Woman's Worth" (I think) where in the very beginning she's walking down the road with headphones singing, "I-I-I ke-e-ep on fa-a-alling, in and out..."

Saracene said:
I hate it when artists reference their own older songs in new songs or videos. Like the video for Alicia Keys' "A Woman's Worth" (I think) where in the very beginning she's walking down the road with headphones singing, "I-I-I ke-e-ep on fa-a-alling, in and out..."

I like this a lot in some contexts but if it's implying that they, like, sit around listening to their own music all the time (as that seems to do)... not so much.

i hate people who think that just because they recognize a song i'm listening to at work, it gives them the right to sing along.

i'll shoot the next person who sings "honky tonk woman" before i stop listening to it, though.

"I hate muse" ???? HOW, I love them so much I'm listening to Origin Of Symmetry now. They're one thing I definately don't hate.

I hate stress, and periods.

i don't know about yertle, but their singer's voice grates on my nerves like no other. plus, i find their music pretty unoriginal.

Back
Top Bottom