Things I Hate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LYRIC BOOKLETS! They should be so EASY, but they seem to be stuffed so often.

1. If you're going to give the lyrics for SOME songs, why not include the rest?
2. If you're going to include the lyrics, you could at least make sure they are CORRECT.
3. And please make the lyrics LEGIBLE! There is nothing more frustrating than squinting in a vain attempt to try to read tiny text that blends into its background.

Having incomplete or incorrect or illegible lyrics is almost as frustrating as having no lyrics at all. :mad:

Oh, and in a similar vein, I hate it when a band includes some thick booklet ... and you find that not a single page has lyrics! I don't care for photographs of the band members - and I care even less for photos of other random objects. By all means, include photos (RELEVANT ones!) to liven up lyrical booklets, but don't waste paper on a stack of useless photos included at the expense of lyrics.

:drool: photographs of random objects

kidding. i hate that. i hate bad artwork even more (which explains my hatred toward that giant super-deluxe crock of shit that was the book version of HTDAAB).

and when they put the lyrics in some funky "handwriting" font that's not possible to read.

No lyric sheets :mad:

I hate that the really interesting, new, innovative music can only be heard on alternative radio stations that are always strapped for cash and often on the brink of closure while money is thrown at shitty, whoringthemselvesforadverts commercial radio stations. And theyre called shite things like AOR, MOR, WANK and spreading across this country like herpes

:madspit: :mad: :censored: :barf: :sick: :rant:

u2popmofo said:

I hate that I pronounced the H in Thom Yorke's name for about a year. Hey, how was I supposed to know? It's not like I'd ever heard anyone else say his name back then!!!

I still pronounce the 'H'. I always thought it was a longer deriavative of 'Thomas' than 'Tom'.

I think I might call him Yorkie from now on....

Axver said:
LYRIC BOOKLETS! They should be so EASY, but they seem to be stuffed so often.

1. If you're going to give the lyrics for SOME songs, why not include the rest?
2. If you're going to include the lyrics, you could at least make sure they are CORRECT.
3. And please make the lyrics LEGIBLE! There is nothing more frustrating than squinting in a vain attempt to try to read tiny text that blends into its background.

Having incomplete or incorrect or illegible lyrics is almost as frustrating as having no lyrics at all. :mad:

Oh, and in a similar vein, I hate it when a band includes some thick booklet ... and you find that not a single page has lyrics! I don't care for photographs of the band members - and I care even less for photos of other random objects. By all means, include photos (RELEVANT ones!) to liven up lyrical booklets, but don't waste paper on a stack of useless photos included at the expense of lyrics.

Have you ever seen the lyric booklet to David Gray's White Ladder??????? :mad: :mad: :mad: THE MOST ANNOYING BOOKLET EVER It puts (and I'm honestly not making this up!) all the lyrics to the songs (there are about 11 I think) on one double page spread. But how does it manage this I hear you ask? Simple. By putting the lyrics in one continous line of smallish white text with nothing obvious to tell you where one song ends and another starts. Thus the booklet is simply some photos of Dave and a double page block of white text. :madspit: Fine if you want to read the lyrics to the first song but the seventh? No chance.

I would also like to express my hatred of gig-related injuries. It's very tiresome to wake up the morning after a gig and discover the imprint of the security barrier on your stomach. Bruises in the shape of the boots of crowdsurfers are similarly annoying.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
I would also like to express my hatred of gig-related injuries. It's very tiresome to wake up the morning after a gig and discover the imprint of the security barrier on your stomach. Bruises in the shape of the boots of crowdsurfers are similarly annoying.

I read this first as "jig-related injuries". I didnt know anyone could jig that hard. :wink:

u2popmofo said:

I read this first as "jig-related injuries". I didnt know anyone could jig that hard. :wink:

:lol: Do people in the US not usually use the word gig? I've just realised I don't usually see anyone using it here, it always seems to be concerts or shows instead.

*Fizz the dumb British girl. :wink:

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Oh-kay. Thanks. :) So if I use the word gig here people are going to assume I'm about 40-years-old and living in the past? :wink:

I use gig sometimes. ....oh. wait.... I am 40 something and my favorite band is best known for their 80's work..... :huh: :mad:

FizzingWhizzbees said:

that baracade can screw up a good tshirt, too. i've come home with holes from sharp parts, and i've got a scar on my elbow from a show last may. it's one thing to leave with chipped teeth, black eyes, and swolen bloody noses if you went into a pit looking for that, but crowd surfers suck ass.

IWasBored said:

it's one thing to leave with chipped teeth, black eyes, and swolen bloody noses if you went into a pit looking for that, but crowd surfers suck ass.

They wouldn't be surfing for long if they were planning on me holding them up. They'd hit that floor so fast.... :wink:

I hate bands that seem to think Perth only has kangaroos and sand and rarely/never include them on the tour. Actually, I hate bands that seem to think the US and Europe are the only places to tour regularly....

Yeah, U2 I'm looking at you.

Tania said:
I hate bands that seem to think Perth only has kangaroos and sand and rarely/never include them on the tour. Actually, I hate bands that seem to think the US and Europe are the only places to tour regularly....

Everyone knows Perth also includes you and beli! And that fact alone should be enough to make all the bands come hustling there. :yes:

I hate artists who use their looks rather then their songs to sell CDs. I hate the stupid fans who buy these CDs even more then the artists because they are morons.

Tania said:

I hate those bands too.

I also hate the sub-species of those bands who DO make it to Perth but decide to fly over Adelaide on their way there. And I hate Triple J for announcing Aussie Tours but they are Bris/Syd/Melb. That's the east coast, not Australia, scum! :mad:

SkeeK said:
Good calls on most of this stuff..

I would just like to say that Franz Ferdinand's second album will also be called Franz Ferdinand, but have a different colour scheme, and they plan to do this for every album the release, and I think that is way cool.

One of the most pretentious things a band could do. Franz Ferdinand should get their heads out of their own arse and take the silver spoon out of their mouth. Album titles are necessities, even if it is as bland as FRANZ FERDINAND 2. Just offer the people something with which to refer to the album as.

There's no excuse for not having an album title. Creating an album title is part of the creative process.

I've long been also of the opinion that any artist who self titles an LP is copping out of the creative process as well.

Tania said:
I hate bands that seem to think Perth only has kangaroos and sand and rarely/never include them on the tour.

That IS all that Perth has isn't it?

:wink:

Can I add to this ye olde thread that I also hate track listings on albums that don't have the track number listed next to them? I'm especially thinking of The Rolling Stones' '40 Licks' album. V.annoying.

BluRmGrl said:
I hate 20 yr old pop stars who release "Greatest Hits" albums. :angry: **cough..... Britney...... cough**

Never mind that applying the adjective "great" to any of their songs is questionable, how the HELL do you qualify a Best of type of album before you're even old enough to have a celebratory adult beverage?!?!?!? :shrug: :madspit:

I hate 17-18 year olds who release Greatest Hits ** cough ...Hilary Duff...cough **

intedomine said:

One of the most pretentious things a band could do. Franz Ferdinand should get their heads out of their own arse and take the silver spoon out of their mouth. Album titles are necessities, even if it is as bland as FRANZ FERDINAND 2. Just offer the people something with which to refer to the album as.

There's no excuse for not having an album title. Creating an album title is part of the creative process.

I've long been also of the opinion that any artist who self titles an LP is copping out of the creative process as well.

I disagree. It's alright to not have an album title. Metallica put out the black album, Weezer the green album, It can work. And if Franz Ferdinand uses a different color every time than that will ultimately be the name of each album. The Black album, the Red Album, the yellow album and so on. They would refer to the album by it's color. Pretty simple. Album titles are not neccesities. Actual music on the album, now that would be a necessity. I mean if U2 self titled their final album I would have no problem with that at all. Not nameing the album is like not printing the lyrics.

- I hate CD stickers that make your fingernails come off and leave sticky goo all over the case, :mad:

- I definitely hate track listings on album covers that don't have numbers next to them. Especially when your album is 18 tracks long, Moby! Oh, and hiding the track listing -inside- the booklet should be a capital offence.

- I hate hidden bonus tracks tacked on the end of listed tracks.

- I hate it when the track listing on the album doesn't match what's on CD. Say, you look at the back of the album and see the track names all listed below each other. Say you want to play the song listed fourth from the top. So you press skip button three times and logically, the fourth song listed should come up on your speakers any time soon? WRONG!! Because, for some bloody stupid reason song number two is actually tacked on at the end of the first track, which incidentally throws the rest of the sequence totally out of whack!!

- I hate the overuse of words "experimental" and "innovative" when discussing music. As well as "sell out".

- I HATE "Women in Rock" features in music magazines, :mad: :mad: :banghead:

- I hate it when music writers don't get their facts right. I once read an article about Coldplay that sneeringly lumped Travis together with the bands like Keane that supposedly popped up to capitalise on Coldplay's success... erm, Coldplay were actually dubbed "The Men Who" when they first came out?

- I also hate it when, in order to praise a band to heavens, the writer feels obligated to paint the music scene that was there before the <insert name> band came up and saved rock as pitch-black dismal and horrible. Sure, it doesn't sound quite as good to say, "well actually there -was- some decent music around, too".

Last edited:
Saracene said:

- I definitely hate track listings on album covers that don't have numbers next to them. Especially when your album is 18 tracks long, Moby! Oh, and hiding the track listing -inside- the booklet should be a capital offence.

Now that IS annoying. Also, how bad is it when the booklet is so thick that to get it out of the case/put it back in it nearly always rips at the top edge? And how bad is it when the booklet is so thin that it flies out of the CD case each time you open it?

Saracene said:
- I hate hidden bonus tracks tacked on the end of listed tracks.

I don't mind that so long as it's a sensible length. However, having to wait 30 minutes for an instrumental to start is a bit much. Naming no names Mr Gallagher.

Saracene said:
- I hate it when music writers don't get their facts right. I once read an article about Coldplay that sneeringly lumped Travis together with the bands like Keane that supposedly popped up to capitalise on Coldplay's success... erm, Coldplay were actually dubbed "The Men Who" when they first came out?

I've just read articles on NME.com that complain about bad lyrics but the lyrics that they quote as being bad aren't even correct! Another article also gets the name of a song wrong. They're only minor, understandable errors in both cases but I expect better standards of research than that!

- Most importantly, I hate music videos with a loathing. People think far, far too much about videos and too much time and money is spent on these useless pieces of m'art'keting.

- I hate keyboards used as a primary instrument. Sorry, its just really, really not my thing. Pianos are alright though.

- I hate the way the focus with many fans and reviewers alike is that the technicality behind a piece, or the 'originality' of it, seems to be more important to making a song that sounds good.

- I dislike any self titled album, even a basic one.

- I hate it when bands/artists rely on cover versions for a vast part of their fame and income, especially covers released as singles and, to a lesser extent, albums.

- I dislike solo artists that don't mention the others that are on the album anywhere but the back of the booklet.

- I dislike the sort of fans that 'will love anything 'their artist' does' regardless of content.

- I hate the way fans of certain bands, especially on the internet, cannot accept 'casual' fans into their midst.

- Ah yes, bonus tracks, well mentioned. Very annoying, especially when trying to make compilations, or on a 'Best Of' (what is October doing all the way back there?).

- I hate the way nearly every 'Best Of' is released with one or two new tracks to try and force more money out of the more loyal fans.

there are plently more, many of which have been covered, keep it up people.

Last edited:
TheQuiet1 said:
Can I add to this ye olde thread that I also hate track listings on albums that don't have the track number listed next to them? I'm especially thinking of The Rolling Stones' '40 Licks' album. V.annoying.

i hate that, too. i've taken to grabbing a pen and writing the numbers on the backs myself. looks terrible, but i'd rather not have to count everytime i want to know what track numebr 7 is.

Saracene said:

Originally posted by TheQuiet1

I've just read articles on NME.com that complain about bad lyrics but the lyrics that they quote as being bad aren't even correct! Another article also gets the name of a song wrong. They're only minor, understandable errors in both cases but I expect better standards of research than that!

Yeah! I read an article once where the writer wrote that three of the original band members had left the band -- and they were all still there! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom