Things I Hate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought of something else that I hate: an album being re-released with bonus tracks and/or a DVD or whatever. I felt like I got screwed last year for buying Franz Ferdinand and The Libertines albums so quickly. I would have been better off waiting to get all the goods. :mad:

Bonochick said:
I thought of something else that I hate: an album being re-released with bonus tracks and/or a DVD or whatever. I felt like I got screwed last year for buying Franz Ferdinand and The Libertines albums so quickly. I would have been better off waiting to get all the goods. :mad:

Depends on how long between the initial release and the rerelease, doesn't it? A year or two -- way too short a time. 10 years -- nice!

Well said, OnFire. Attacking your fans is always the best way to "protect" your group and music..... Nothing drives sales like alienating your fan base!

I hate spending $10 to $20 for an import single that has 1 or 2 non-album tracks.

I hate when bands make 2 to 3 different singles for the same song, each only having 1 to 2 different tracks. Wouldnt it have been MUCH better to put all of the b-sides on one cd, actually making something worthwhile for fans? Arent fans the ONLY people out there who actually even buy singles, why not DO something for them? Instead, they cash in on the idea that "Our fans will have to collect every CD, we'll make so much money!!!!" (I'm looking at you, U2)

I hate it when bands release singles that are nothing other than mediocre at best remixes or lame edits (for example, putting the radio edit that is 20 seconds shorter on the single and then putting the "album version" on that same single). I'm fine with remixes, if they're actually good and provide something really interesting or new (which can be done, I just tend to not see rock remixes really succeed at this very often. Maybe it's just that rock bands know jack about electronic music and actually think these remixes are providing something interesting) You're saying you didnt have any left over songs from making your album? You're saying with all the time you spend together on tour that you couldnt spend a few days putting together a fun little throw away song either? You couldnt even do an acoustic or live version of the single as a b-side? (still looking at U2 on this one)

Last edited:
Bonochick said:

I completely agree. I really would like the Franz bonus disc and the one that Morrissey also released for You are the Quarry. Too bad I didnt wait 6 months..... What a lame way to screw over your fans who you know will have to collect every version. I hate that they can use the marketing ploy of, "No, this is for other people who are getting interested in the band! We're providing something new for them!!!" Sure, even though the "special edition" is still more money than the normal version, and you made sure to make the packaging different too. Yeah, that's not a cheap way to make more money off of your actual fans at all....

Oh yeah, I hate that you cant purchase things from different "country" locations on iTunes. The UK version has all of these singles, EPs, and rare tracks for bands I love. These songs are not available in the US version. I dont even have the option of buying them from the UK version and then having a little fee tacked on for foreign currency conversion or a service charge or something, I have no options. Guess I still have to go out and spend nearly $20 for 2 songs on some random single. iTunes, if you have different music in your different stores....why not consolodate it? Why not offer it everywhere? Holy cow, you might make more money!!! Isn't that the whole point?

I hate DualDiscs. It's a great idea - a regular cd and a dvd all on one disc, but what they forget to make well known (or only include in the small print) is that the cd side is not a regular cd - it's not manufactured to the same specifications, hence - it won't play on all cd players. What the fuck is the point of pushing a format that isn't even fully compatible with the accepted standard?

And what I hate even more is when an artist only releases something on DualDisc, or stores only stock the DualDisc version. I bought Springsteen's Devils and Dust and Ben Folds' Songs For Silverman on DualDisc, and BOTH of them won't play on my main cd player, and Songs For Silverman won't play on my computer either. I had to rip the audio from the DVD side and burn my own copy in order to have a cd that played wherever I wanted it to.

That's fucking lame. :down:

Bonochick said:

That's one of my pet hates too. The Libertines one annoyed me because it couldn't have been more than three months after the original album release that they released the album + DVD version. Although I love(d) The Libertines enough that I bought it anyway.

I also hate Razorlight re-releasing their debut album with "Somewhere Else" added. That was supposedly a stand-alone single before their second album is released but I guess their label just couldn't resist the chance to make a few extra $$$s by re-releasing the album. :mad: I dislike Razorlight (really just Johnny, lol) enough that this bothers me.

Diemen said:
I hate DualDiscs. It's a great idea - a regular cd and a dvd all on one disc, but what they forget to make well known (or only include in the small print) is that the cd side is not a regular cd - it's not manufactured to the same specifications, hence - it won't play on all cd players. What the fuck is the point of pushing a format that isn't even fully compatible with the accepted standard?

This reminded me of another of my pet hates. It's not exactly the same thing, but I hate when bands release several formats of a single (ie CD, 7" vinyl, etc) and one of them is a DVD version. So you buy the DVD version assuming you'll also be able to play the song just as a song and it turns out the only way to play it is by playing the video. I guess there's nothing wrong with that, but they should at least make it clear that if you buy the DVD version you can't just play the song. :madspit:

I'm probably just bitter because I bought a Morrissey single like that and was planning to put it on a mix CD only to find that it wouldn't work. :(

u2popmofo said:
I hate when bands make 2 to 3 different singles for the same song, each only having 1 to 2 different tracks. Wouldnt it have been MUCH better to put all of the b-sides on one cd, actually making something worthwhile for fans? Arent fans the ONLY people out there who actually even buy singles, why not DO something for them? Instead, they cash in on the idea that "Our fans will have to collect every CD, we'll make so much money!!!!" (I'm looking at you, U2)
This isn't something that artists do on purpose. It's due to really stupid UK singles chart rules. In order to meet the requirements for inclusion on the chart, a single can't be more than 20 minutes in total running time. There is also another rule that states that they can't have more than 3 different tracks. That's why they have to be short and they get spread over more than one part in order to facilitate including more tracks than one part would allow.

Wikipedia explains it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Top_40#Criteria_for_inclusion

Did i mention that i hate pete docherty?
I also hate it when bands release concert dvd's advertising bonus tracks when all the bonus track is is just a song from the concert. (e.g. Mysterious Ways from slane).

I hate it how bands like mcfly start thinking they are talented because they write their own songs (even though the songs are rubbish). I hate when bands get back together after 10 years so they can do a tour and never admit they are doin it for the money when interviewers ask them.

I hate artists like 50 cent and Dr Dre etc cos all they do is sample other people's songs and add on some stupid lyrics that i can't even understand.

I hate band's that were not involved in the make poverty history campaign at all but then grabbed the chance for self promotion when it came to live8 (finger points at madonna and mariah carey in particular).

greenlight7-11 said:

This isn't something that artists do on purpose. It's due to really stupid UK singles chart rules. In order to meet the requirements for inclusion on the chart, a single can't be more than 20 minutes in total running time. There is also another rule that states that they can't have more than 3 different tracks. That's why they have to be short and they get spread over more than one part in order to facilitate including more tracks than one part would allow.

Wikipedia explains it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Top_40#Criteria_for_inclusion

Well if that's the case, I hate any band who would ever release a single just to get it on the UK Singles Chart. Who the crap cares about the UK Singles Chart???!!!!! Somehow this just makes me even more mad.

I hate Ashlee Simpson. She cannot sing.

I hate buying cd's anymore. They are pricey and I only like 2 or 3 songs on the album anyway.

I just found out that Ticketbastard doesn't refund the ticket processing fee or the fee to mail your tickets to you if a concert is canceled. I'm adding it to the list of 1,000 thing I hate about Ticketbastard. :madspit:

Aardvark747 said:

Oops, Did I really say that ?? :laugh:

Well, you know what I meant !! :wink:

It's almost quitting time for me ... as I'm trying to finish alot of additional work here, but of course being on-line definitely interfers with getting my work done !! :ohmy: :applaud:

Aardvark747 said:
I hate Dave Grohl with his fingers in everyone's pies!!:rant:

SOD OFF HORSE FACE!:madspit:

Though I know what you mean, hopefully you do realize that all of these people are ASKING Grohl to play with them. What does that say about them? "Please Dave, make us famous like you!!!"

I hate that I pronounced the H in Thom Yorke's name for about a year. Hey, how was I supposed to know? It's not like I'd ever heard anyone else say his name back then!!!

i hate the local rock and "obscure and album non-single tracks" rock shows that i loved in high school. apparently the local scene here is in huge decline, because everything on that show blows goats. and the "obscure" bands aren't as obscure as i used to think. bad religion? pennywise? slayer? come on. people know these bands. sure, they're not nickelback or good charolette, but is regular non-special show radio really that bland? i wouldn't know, i haven't spent enough time listening to it in the last 4 years.

Back
Top Bottom