Things I Hate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2popmofo said:
I hate the freaking sticker thing on brand new CDs that keeps them closed.

I hate it when those stickers rip apart and become a huge pain to remove.

:yes:

I also hate U2.com! Bunch of :silent: over there, Interference :heart:

^ The Fab Four on Queer Eye showed a trick to opening them but it's never worked for me. :angry:

Bonochick said:

I also hate it when a person releases a self-titled album that is not their debut. I mean, not that I'm crazy about self-titled releases to begin with, but I am a bit more understanding about it when people do it to their debut albums...it's more of a focus on your name. People only have your name to remember, not a name and an album title. Like, for example, Franz Ferdinand. However...on the opposite end...Leona Naess. Her first two CDs had titles, and then her third one was self-titled? Why??? Is that the best you could do for a title??? Come on, I know you're more creative than that! Call it SOMETHING!

:lol: Peter Gabriel's first four solo albums are all self-titled (three if you live in the U.S.). I'm sure people love that.

What about ones where they use roman numerals to differentiate between the albums, like Led Zeppelin's first four (although number four is also known as Zoso). Well, at least you can tell a little more that way.

Re: I started typing this b4 1stepcloser's reply

TheQuiet1 said:
But how confusing will that be?! "It all went downhill following the Franz Ferdinand album" "Which one?" "The blue one" "Oh." See how many breaths I've wasted with those extra three words that would be unnecessary if they'd called it a completely different name?

And what happens if they release tons of albums? "They never bettered the sunset orange album" "No, no, no, the lava orange album was waaaaay better".

And imagine asking for it in the shops! "Can I have Franz Ferdinand by Franz Ferdinand please?" "Certainly madam, which colour of the rainbow would you prefer?"

On the other hand it is a different approach, so I celebrate its originality and creativity if not its practicality.

For the answer to all these questions I think you should talk to a fan of that band Chicago. I think their first 25 albums are all called Chicago or so (except for their debut album, which was called Chicago Transit Authority, and some live albums which were called Live). And also the cover art was largely the same, except for a different colour scheme, etc. :)

My pet hate is Copy Control Crap (already mentioned here earlier). When I buy a CD I want to be able to play it, also on my computer. So I refuse to buy albums which have CCC. I did it a couple of times without initially knowing it and 2 of those 3 albums gave me problems. :mad:

u2popmofo said:
I hate the huge eye-sores on the back of most new big label CD cases which generally contain one of the following: Copying is illegal, FBI Warning, or whatever other RIAA crock of crap that they think is going to stop the music from being circulated outside of a retail outlet.

Then you should buy the latest record by Elvis Costello & The Imposters: The Delivery Man. Not only is that an excellent album, but also take a look what it says on the back, above the FBI anti-piracy warning.

costello_fbi.jpg

:up:
:lol:

Christ, I must be getting mellow in my old age...I'm not real wigged out about anything listed so far, and can't really think of much to add... :huh:

I'll have to go find something that pisses me off.....

:lol: Oh man, that Costello back cover is priceless!

The most stubborn sticker in the world annoys me too... esp when, like u2popmofo said, it doesn't come off completely and leaves some adhesive on the case. :grumpy: But I have to say that the center clip that holds the CD has never broken on me, ever! At least not in CDs I've bought here in the US.

And the self-titled album thing doesn't bother me at all. Like someone said earlier, artists probably do that when they think that the album represents their music overall pretty well.

Also... Dalton, I hear you. It's worse when it gets stuck in the zipper I guess... not that it's ever happened to me or anything. :whistle:

u2popmofo said:
I hate paper-sleeve cases that are difficult to remove the CD from and can/do damage your actual CD. I also hate knowing that they're being made more and more now because they're far cheaper for the label to make, thus increasing profits while claiming things like "this is better for the environment", and knowing that these cases will possibly end up wearing the CD out and cause the listener to have to buy a new one.
i hate that i made tiny rip in my stars 'set yourself on fire' case because of this very reason.

:angry:

The untitled thing really doesn't bother me, perhaps because I read a lot of poetry for my job and there are like 1,000,000,000 poems named Untitled. Plus, I can't ever think of titles for my own mixes, either. Obviously I'm going to have to steal one of BC's for my next mix. I think I'll go with Sky Drops. Come to think of it, I need to send three out so I'll just take all three of those titles, thanks. :D

LMAO at the Elvis Costello thing! That's good.

u2popmofo said:
I hate the freaking sticker thing on brand new CDs that keeps them closed.

I hate it when those stickers rip apart and become a huge pain to remove.

I hate it when a price tag is placed by the store directly over a sticker on the cover giving information on the album, you really couldnt find a better place to put the price??????!!!

I hate it when you open up your cd to find that the plastic thing that holds it in place is broken or smashed (most newer cds have found better ways to make sure this doesnt happen).

I hate buying a cd that has some flaw/scratch in it that makes it unplayable on some of your cd players but not on others.

Yes. Yes, yes, effin' YES.

Originally posted by u2popmofo
I hate when you open a cd case only to see your cd go flying out of it because it does not fit snuggly inside of the case (see the above related complaint).

I've never had that problem. Instead, my problem is that a lot of the CDs I get are so snuggled in there that I fear I'm going to break the CD just trying to take it out. That's my big complaint right now (and yes, the anti-piracy bits are annoying as hell. Like stated, okay, we legally buy the CD, but still have a hard time playing the thing...yep, that solved the problem!).

Originally posted by phanan
:lol: Peter Gabriel's first four solo albums are all self-titled (three if you live in the U.S.). I'm sure people love that.

LOL, yeah, and then he finally does come up with an album name and what is it? "So".

The self-titled/untitled things don't really bother me, either...sometimes thinking of a title is hard. You don't want it to sound cheesy and dumb.

Angela

joyfulgirl said:
^ The Fab Four on Queer Eye showed a trick to opening them but it's never worked for me. :angry:

Ah yes, the trick of the trade! ;) It's great once you get the hang of it.

I worked in a record store for many years, so yeah. Had to show a lot of people how to do this.

After unwrapping the clear plastic wrap from the cd, locate the spine of the jewel case - on the left side (I'm sure you know where that is, but you'd be surprised at how many people I had to explain this to.) At the bottom of the spine, gently lift up to disengage the cover from from the bottom portion of the jewel case. You'll notice a little clear nub or plastic tab that holds the spine and jewel case together.

Once the cover is disengaged, flip the cover upwards (like you would a calendar.) The annoying top sticker should be the only thing holding the jewel case together. Next, pull the cover and bottom part of the jewel case apart by slowly using a tearing motion, sort of like if you were tearing a page out of a magazine. Lock and load!! Works every time and you don't have to wrestle with goo.

If I could, I'd make a quick time film if I could, because my explanation is probably more confusing than the process really is. :confused:

I find just forcefully opening the jewel case the normal way splits the sticker into two easily peelable halves.

Works for me at least :shrug:

I remembered something that irritates me. :)

You know how some albums are described as "challenging" for the listener. What the hell is that supposed to mean? I get an album, pop it in the player, and music plays. Music I either like or don't like. What on earth is so challenging about that? :huh:

indra said:
Christ, I must be getting mellow in my old age...I'm not real wigged out about anything listed so far, and can't really think of much to add... :huh:

I'll have to go find something that pisses me off.....

Here's one you might sympathise with, if you ever review shows, that is. Artists who exhibit work and everything is frigging 'Untitled'! Argh! I had to do a photographer earlier in the year, an Aussie guy, and writing it was nearly bloody impossible.

"Well, his pedophaelic early works, Untitled through to Untitled, with the nude adolescent boys was by no means his most confronting when compared to his Untitled series later in his career and shown later in Mr Henson's retrospective..."

:mad:

But this isn't the art you are all talking about :wink:

What shits me royally, is those shop security stickers or some other such garbage stuck over track listings. Or worse is no tracklistings! Is knowing the names of the tracks too much to ask, really?

We have the double CD version of that Elvis CD, but I don't see the warning on there... (it may be the import, in which case there wouldn't be a warning I suppose) :hmm:

As for removing the price tag and stickers from the actual jewel case, you can try & use scotch tape to peel it off, but I recall something about using lighter fluid. Then again, your CD and hands will stink...

I hate people with the lack of common sense, and telemarketers who continually call - even when you have caller ID, even when you have picked up on occasion and told them not to call, and even told them to f:censored:k off. And faxed junk mail (even when all your numbers are on the national 'do not call' list).
And SPAM. Spam spam spam :madspit:

Lila64 said:
and telemarketers who continually call - even when you have caller ID, even when you have picked up on occasion and told them not to call, and even told them to f:censored:k off.

Yep. And then the phone just keeps ringing and ringing and ringing and ringing and ringing and ringing. It's like, okay, if I didn't answer by the fifth ring, chances are, I'm not gonna pick up.

Originally posted by Lila64
And SPAM. Spam spam spam :madspit:

Spam needs to die, along with pop-up ads.

Angela

There is a product called Goo-Gone that you can use to remove stickers and/or their residue. However, it's made with orange oil so it leaves behind a smell and a slight oilyness. You just go over the area again with rubbing alcohol to take care of those problems. Kind of a pain in the ass, but sometimes it's the only way to finally remove the stickers. And it sure beats using lighter fluid.

Re: Re: I started typing this b4 1stepcloser's reply

Popmartijn said:
You should talk to a fan of that band Chicago.

mofo, that's you. :wink:

Per this thread, I can't really think of anything except finding a used CD title that you've always wanted, taking it home and realising it's scratched beyond playability.

I hate some of the pretentious wankers at some of the CD shops I frequent. I hate the little smirks I get when I buy a CD they don't approve of. And I'm sure my lack of tattoos and excessive piercings prove I'm a sell-out. However, I am making a hell of a lot of more money than they are and I don't live with my mommy and daddy.

I hate Clear Channel with the fiery intensity of a thousand suns.

I hate that Vital Magazine won't let me write any reviews for them yet publish the most derivative crap.

Angela Harlem said:

"Well, his pedophaelic early works, Untitled through to Untitled, with the nude adolescent boys was by no means his most confronting when compared to his Untitled series later in his career and shown later in Mr Henson's retrospective..."

:lmao:

Re: Re: Re: I started typing this b4 1stepcloser's reply

yertle-the-turtle said:

mofo, that's you. :wink:

Curse you, Turtle!!!!!!!!

I hate recommending a group or song or some kind of music to a friend just to hear them poo poo it for reasons that make no sense.

When the thing that holds the CD in place breaks :mad: especially as it usually causes the little bits of plastic to somehow get under the CD and potentially scratch it to death!

And as for the whole CD falls out/CD too snug thing, I can relate to both. There have been some new CDs that I've been pulling till half of the CD is nearly at a 45 degree angle to the rest of the CD stuck in the case, AND IT STILL WON'T COME LOOSE! (Thank goodness CDs bend a little!) And trying to lift it with 1 hand on the bottom and 1 hand on the top doesn't seem to shift it either. In the end prolonged brute force usually works!

Then there's my October U2 album (yes, I DO listen to it!). The thing in the middle isn't bust, but a lot of it is compressed inwards and if pulled upwards it won't stay up (you get what I mean?) so whenever I open the case the CD usually flies outwards (and here's the worrying part...) gets caught between the 'cover' of the case and the actual case itself. Now if THAT doesn't stratch it I dunno what will!!

You know what I hate? I hate when a band gets so huge they attract an army of parasitic lawyers you say:

"You know, our band is so huge that we should threaten and intimidate all of the unofficial fan websites supporting this band. Do you realize they are stealing our bands intellectual property by posting the band's guitar tabulature and lyrics. If we don't stop them, they might find some corner of the earth where our band is unheard of and pass this work off as their own and make tons of money off of it that would otherwise be ours."

I don't really care about those cd stickers although they can be a damn nuisance.

Back
Top Bottom