Things Americans don't get about us - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2006, 08:57 PM   #91
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:30 AM
Wow, blueeyedgirl, do you really think that was necessary? This thread isn't meant to belittle other nations.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:05 PM   #92
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:30 AM
I really want to visit Europe sometime

but I might go to the U.K. in the summer of '07

Old 05-01-2006, 09:50 PM   #93
War Child

Local Time: 05:30 AM
Old 05-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
Wow, blueeyedgirl, do you really think that was necessary? This thread isn't meant to belittle other nations.
Yeah, it probably shoulda gone in FYM.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:06 AM   #95
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by carrieluvv

judging by your post count it doesnt look like your a real blast to hang out with
you should try getting your ass out of the chair once in a while
what did BEG say which is so offensive? You guys (not personally) DID overreact to janet's boosie flashing I haven't read back much of this thread but criticising Janet and your voting doesn't warrant this, surely.

Anyway...One thing I dont get about poms/Euros...why are your washing machines and dryers in your kitchen? It would lead me to think youse dont have a laundry? I cant get my head around washing clothes in a kitchen. And where are your clotheslines? It seems no one has them!
I demand to know where you hang your clothes and why you use a kitchen. A laundry doesn't take up much room!
Old 05-02-2006, 12:51 AM   #96
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:30 AM
We have a clothes line

Washing machine thing, no idea, it has never been much of a bother to me, i guess europeans couldn't be arsed in general to get a laundry built...I can't really think of where we could put one in my house either

It may be that in the states you guys have always seemed to have very standardised house layouts, within an area...but in Belfast for example, well nearly every street has different house designs and layouts, even within a street....really I have no idea.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:00 AM   #97
Jesus Online

I'm not American. In Australia every house is different, or at least we have a wide range of housing types and designs. All have laundries. Doesn't matter if it's a townhouse (and even most flats too) or a 6 bedroom 3 storey architect designed job, it will have a dedicated laundry.
I wondered if it was a space issue, but even that doesn't make sense. There's lots of crowded cities and places all over the world and some of us build landries and some dont.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:02 AM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:30 AM
my family in Ireland does have a clothesline but it rains so much I can't see them using it often. I think the laundry in their case may be just simple plumbing matters. All of the plumbing in their homes (my family at least) was along one wall.

Or maybe it's some sick way of keeping women's chores confined to one part of the house.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:07 AM   #99
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I'm not American. In Australia every house is different, or at least we have a wide range of housing types and designs. All have laundries. Doesn't matter if it's a townhouse (and even most flats too) or a 6 bedroom 3 storey architect designed job, it will have a dedicated laundry.
I wondered if it was a space issue, but even that doesn't make sense. There's lots of crowded cities and places all over the world and some of us build landries and some dont.
sorry about the states thing its 6am in the morning and I shouldn't really be awake

Could be an old house thing, Europe in general probably has far more older houses than Australia or the States....or it could just be one of those things
Old 05-02-2006, 01:21 AM   #100
Jesus Online

no worries LJT and kat! i dont mind the laundry. it's the only housework which doesnt bug me. i find it relaxing hanging washing out and love the smell of clean clothes. though this could change if we have more kids.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:25 AM   #101
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by carrieluvv
^ i dont think anyone would have any problems NOT including you ...you seem like such a snob

judging by your post count it doesnt look like your a real blast to hang out with
you should try getting your ass out of the chair once in a while
What the fuck was that about? That was incredibly nasty. But it fits the ugly American stereotype, and that has to come from somewhere.

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
Wow, blueeyedgirl, do you really think that was necessary? This thread isn't meant to belittle other nations
Well, what she said was true, so I'm a US citizen and not bothered by her comments at all. I was more bothered by the comment she responded to in the first place.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:30 AM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I have never heard of or been to another country which treats its tourists with such contempt as France.

From the obnoxious "NO English" signs in ticket windows, to the absolute unhelpfulness of people on the street, it's unreal. You go to spend money there and they'd like to spit all over you. What a terrible image to present to the world!

i've been to France twice, and on both trips the people were very friendly & helpful
Old 05-02-2006, 01:37 AM   #103
ONE
love, blood, life

What I don't get is some people's idea (and it's not everyone at all) that the names for things we use in the US always make less sense than names for things in the UK, NZ, AUS, and perhaps Canada (going with some of the nations where English is the main language).

I will agree that several of our names for things make not a hell of a lot of sense -- like restroom for toilet (although I have known many people who would go in there and take naps at various places where I've worked, so calling it a restroom isn't completely off base ).

But one that stuck in my head was someone (not on this board) from Australia (I think) complained that our word sidewalk made no sense. The proper word, according to this person, was footpath. Why does sidewalk (a place to walk on the side of the road) make less sense than footpath? I've also heard the term footpath used in the US but it is generally used to describe a path for walking which isn't right beside a road. Instead it would be through a park or forest etc.

Oh. And the lack of ice in water. Ick. Water should be ice cold.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:51 AM   #104
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Anyway...One thing I dont get about poms/Euros...why are your washing machines and dryers in your kitchen? It would lead me to think youse dont have a laundry? I cant get my head around washing clothes in a kitchen. And where are your clotheslines? It seems no one has them!
I demand to know where you hang your clothes and why you use a kitchen. A laundry doesn't take up much room!

when i lived in England we had a clothes line

the washing machine was in the kitchen though.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:15 AM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Quote:
no worries LJT and kat! i dont mind the laundry. it's the only housework which doesnt bug me. i find it relaxing hanging washing out and love the smell of clean clothes. though this could change if we have more kids.

Any time you wanna come round my house and do my washing is fine by me!