Things Americans don't get about us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, blueeyedgirl, do you really think that was necessary? This thread isn't meant to belittle other nations.

I really want to visit Europe sometime :sad:

but I might go to the U.K. in the summer of '07 :drool:

carrieluvv said:

judging by your post count it doesnt look like your a real blast to hang out with
you should try getting your ass out of the chair once in a while

what did BEG say which is so offensive? You guys (not personally) DID overreact to janet's boosie flashing :lol: I haven't read back much of this thread but criticising Janet and your voting doesn't warrant this, surely.

Anyway...One thing I dont get about poms/Euros...why are your washing machines and dryers in your kitchen? It would lead me to think youse dont have a laundry? I cant get my head around washing clothes in a kitchen. And where are your clotheslines? It seems no one has them!
I demand to know where you hang your clothes and why you use a kitchen. A laundry doesn't take up much room!

We have a clothes line:shrug:

Washing machine thing, no idea, it has never been much of a bother to me, i guess europeans couldn't be arsed in general to get a laundry built...I can't really think of where we could put one in my house either:hmm:

It may be that in the states you guys have always seemed to have very standardised house layouts, within an area...but in Belfast for example, well nearly every street has different house designs and layouts, even within a street....really I have no idea.

I'm not American. In Australia every house is different, or at least we have a wide range of housing types and designs. All have laundries. Doesn't matter if it's a townhouse (and even most flats too) or a 6 bedroom 3 storey architect designed job, it will have a dedicated laundry.
I wondered if it was a space issue, but even that doesn't make sense. There's lots of crowded cities and places all over the world and some of us build landries and some dont.

my family in Ireland does have a clothesline but it rains so much I can't see them using it often. I think the laundry in their case may be just simple plumbing matters. All of the plumbing in their homes (my family at least) was along one wall. :slant:

Or maybe it's some sick way of keeping women's chores confined to one part of the house. :grumpy:

Angela Harlem said:
I'm not American. In Australia every house is different, or at least we have a wide range of housing types and designs. All have laundries. Doesn't matter if it's a townhouse (and even most flats too) or a 6 bedroom 3 storey architect designed job, it will have a dedicated laundry.
I wondered if it was a space issue, but even that doesn't make sense. There's lots of crowded cities and places all over the world and some of us build landries and some dont.

sorry about the states thing:wink: its 6am in the morning and I shouldn't really be awake:p

Could be an old house thing, Europe in general probably has far more older houses than Australia or the States....or it could just be one of those things:shrug:

no worries LJT :wink: and :lol: kat! i dont mind the laundry. it's the only housework which doesnt bug me. i find it relaxing hanging washing out and love the smell of clean clothes. though this could change if we have more kids.

:hmm:

carrieluvv said:
^ i dont think anyone would have any problems NOT including you ...you seem like such a snob

judging by your post count it doesnt look like your a real blast to hang out with
you should try getting your ass out of the chair once in a while

What the fuck was that about? :huh: That was incredibly nasty. But it fits the ugly American stereotype, and that has to come from somewhere.

Originally posted by GibsonGirl
Wow, blueeyedgirl, do you really think that was necessary? This thread isn't meant to belittle other nations

Well, what she said was true, so I'm a US citizen and not bothered by her comments at all. I was more bothered by the comment she responded to in the first place. :shrug:

anitram said:
I have never heard of or been to another country which treats its tourists with such contempt as France.

From the obnoxious "NO English" signs in ticket windows, to the absolute unhelpfulness of people on the street, it's unreal. You go to spend money there and they'd like to spit all over you. What a terrible image to present to the world!

i've been to France twice, and on both trips the people were very friendly & helpful :shrug:

What I don't get is some people's idea (and it's not everyone at all) that the names for things we use in the US always make less sense than names for things in the UK, NZ, AUS, and perhaps Canada (going with some of the nations where English is the main language).

I will agree that several of our names for things make not a hell of a lot of sense -- like restroom for toilet (although I have known many people who would go in there and take naps at various places where I've worked, so calling it a restroom isn't completely off base :) ).

But one that stuck in my head was someone (not on this board) from Australia (I think) complained that our word sidewalk made no sense. The proper word, according to this person, was footpath. Why does sidewalk (a place to walk on the side of the road) make less sense than footpath? :shrug: I've also heard the term footpath used in the US but it is generally used to describe a path for walking which isn't right beside a road. Instead it would be through a park or forest etc.

Oh. And the lack of ice in water. Ick. Water should be ice cold. :yes:

Angela Harlem said:
Anyway...One thing I dont get about poms/Euros...why are your washing machines and dryers in your kitchen? It would lead me to think youse dont have a laundry? I cant get my head around washing clothes in a kitchen. And where are your clotheslines? It seems no one has them!
I demand to know where you hang your clothes and why you use a kitchen. A laundry doesn't take up much room!

when i lived in England we had a clothes line :shrug:

the washing machine was in the kitchen though.

Angela Harlem said:
no worries LJT :wink: and :lol: kat! i dont mind the laundry. it's the only housework which doesnt bug me. i find it relaxing hanging washing out and love the smell of clean clothes. though this could change if we have more kids.

:hmm:

Any time you wanna come round my house and do my washing is fine by me! :wink:

indra said:

Well, what she said was true, so I'm a US citizen and not bothered by her comments at all. I was more bothered by the comment she responded to in the first place. :shrug:

I thought both were equally offensive (the first at least seemed to have been posted in jest).

Angela Harlem said:

what did BEG say which is so offensive? You guys (not personally) DID overreact to janet's boosie flashing :lol: I haven't read back much of this thread but criticising Janet and your voting doesn't warrant this, surely.

I could care less about janets craptaculor display

YOU angela YOU overreact to the news thats filtered thru your lame ass TV stations

you robsessed with american culture...thats what it is...

you wish you were me ...and you wish your were my wife..

youd like to expiriment with me in many different compromising positions.

let me tell ya this , honey,....its never gonna happen...so get your mind out of the gutter

indra said:

What the fuck was that about? :huh: That was incredibly nasty. But it fits the ugly American stereotype, and that has to come from somewhere.

ahh yesh..so many americans have respoinded just like me...havent they.......in fact....none of them have...its just me
im the exception here i spose.

i could get a whole lot nastier-

you poor angry american women....---------------- .......youd like it much better to live somewhere else....like in afghanistan...
its so awesome there.
iraq
iran
none of these coutnries would eat peanut butter and jelly
or have thier washer dryer...outside..
they dont have any ..nevermind

why dont ya smoke a bowl and fuck off to cananda if you hate it so much. .......they may not want you there....cuz ya cant mellow out enough

why do you bother postin your tripe if its not personal....your just dying to get a rise out of people......you feel vindicated when people (usually) dont respond

and your saying it to the americans....who you have something in common with.(u2) what sort of satisfaction does it bring you?

i could go around saying ....i hate it just as much too.......but ive lived here longer i spose.....im not trying so hard to seem so" cool "to people who really hate the US.....why even try?..they hate you too. ...you look like a fool , Indra.
its fun to see someone comment and you come out ....all overzealous about how much you hate your country...

my post count is gonna be flying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the things that really bug me about my own country...the competition amongst women - the superficial stuff.......
and that they got it so playboy can be distributed in the middleast....

why the hell would we do that?

that is really wrong

oh this hate tastes so good.

hate tastes awesome!...its tastes like chicken !

get away from my chicken tasting hate !///god...greedy american...

here....go and get yourself some mcdonalds....or some shit...burger king, taco bell............eat some shit for all i care

oh man......yum.....hmmm.......( eating noises) .............where have you been all my life?.........you make me feel so sexy
it feels good to feel sexy A:: THE TIME.
id get implants - and collegen AND<<<<<<<<<<<<<<my eyebrows completely removed for ever .....
cuz thats the american way
ima bitch
youra bitch
everywhere a bitch bitch

thats all ya got?

none right now...well except for caffeine ................. i also get high on hate and complaining and whining......its so fun . just like you...and I know you know that i know that you know what im talking bout willis.

why do ya ask? did ya need to score something stronger than your usual weed or what?
we americans are all gun toting drug dealers...
did ya need some meth angela?

i know how much you love it

putting people down is so cool....

i never knew it could feel this good.

but you'd know all about that...Ive seen you at work.....your a real pro.

your not use to people responding to i hate peanut butter and jelly rants

your crusade is never chellenged

just remember ..when you set the stars ans stripes on fire to make sure you are wrapped up in it.......

o h hohoh...just kidding...

you are just so amazing....the way you stand for shit and stuff.
you could teach us all a thing or two about how life should be lived

if youd venture away from your bubble for 10 minutes
and you wonder why your ass is getting so huge

Last edited:
anyone who responds negatively to the stuff you say MUST be high because your so goddamn reasonable all the time- this is so bush-like
if your not with us your against us..type of knowledge...

good on ya mate

wow.

um, okay, can we all agree that this thread was supposed to be fun? and i think the "rest of the world" can be 100% obnoxious when it comes to their American stereotypes, and vice versa is true as well. i always think it's more fun when we can laugh at/with each other, and ourselves, and hopefully we can learn something in the process. heck, one of the best memories i have was being drunk at a pub in Scotland with a Canadian, an Aussie, and a Kiwi as we all bitched and complained about antiquated british plumbing.

:shrug:

i don't think specific political jabs are necessary -- let's keep it to things like, "why do you all smell so bad" and "why are you all so fat?"

you know, the important stuff. ;)

blueeyedgirl said:

Hey don't include me in that. Your version of freedom and democracy where less than half of the voting public actually vote and where American politics is held hostage by the religious lobby (of whichever religion)?

I also wouldn't believe all the Bush propanganda being fed to the American public.

For goodness's sake, the US is the country where everyone got into a snit because Janet Jackson exposed HER BREAST. Nowhere else in the world would that have been such a furore. We laughed about that in Australia, and the American over-reaction.

i would encourage you to come visit us over in FYM. we discuss issues like this to death, and i'm quite certain you'll find a wide variety of American thought and opinion on these issues and many others that will help you rethink these stereotypes.]

i suppose this would lead into another question i have:

why do you all think you know so much about us, when really, our culture is as complex as any other?

Irvine511 said:

why do you all think you know so much about us, when really, our culture is as complex as any other?

that is easy because you show us so many of your stereotypes throught the media. your culture is complex, but you're selling an image to the rest of the world, when you are stereotyping yourselves and another countries. I can ask the same thing when you show Bogotá as a tropical city (when in fact is a cold, rainy city), and when all the drugdealers in the tv series are colombian :shrug:

Last edited:
indra said:

Wow I love being stereotyped and I love how two threads turned into bashing amercians this is fun :|

It's a big freakin country people we're all different INCREDIBLY different.

Angela Harlem said:

We have a laundry room and a clothes line. I have to admit I've always found the idea of doing your laundry in the kitchen to be a bit weird too. :huh:

Irvine511 said:
wow.

um, okay, can we all agree that this thread was supposed to be fun? and i think the "rest of the world" can be 100% obnoxious when it comes to their American stereotypes, and vice versa is true as well. i always think it's more fun when we can laugh at/with each other, and ourselves, and hopefully we can learn something in the process. heck, one of the best memories i have was being drunk at a pub in Scotland with a Canadian, an Aussie, and a Kiwi as we all bitched and complained about antiquated british plumbing.

:shrug:

i don't think specific political jabs are necessary -- let's keep it to things like, "why do you all smell so bad" and "why are you all so fat?"

you know, the important stuff. ;)

:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom