Things Americans don't get about us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I'll play...

Paying for public restrooms in some places in Europe. Worse yet, not only paying for using the restroom but being forced to PAY for the toilet paper.

Always thought that was weird.

^I'm startin to see more of that in England and Ireland as well..I don't mind payin so much for restroom use...it generally ensures it is kept clean and well stocked with toilet roll.

Airport luggage carts are mostly free in Canada except for Toronto, they suck.

trevster2k said:
Airport luggage carts are mostly free in Canada except for Toronto, they suck.

Are they still charging a loonie for those things?

I don't travel with that much stuff so I never use the carts anyway but I remember coming home from Frankfurt once with a bunch of bags and no loonie on me. :mad:

umm we usually put £1 in a wee slot to unlock the cart from outside, but once we return it, we get the pound back.

Well that is how it works back at home:shrug:

yeah, now that I think about it, that's how I've heard it described. I guess it's a logical thing for the store to do. :wink:

by the way, just to clear things up..regardless of my avatar I'm not that proud/ashamed to be american, it's just something i made with m&ms ok? :uhoh:

Last edited:
makin it with m&ms is something to be proud of:wink:

Did you decide to only represent the states you like as stars?:p

For the most part, they don't get my location, here in Newfoundland, a.k.a. "Newfowndlund". It's actually pronounced "New-found-land." We're located in the most easterly part of North America, but seemingly invisible to many folks south of the border.

I secretly like the anonymity sometimes, but it can be frustrating in the business world. For example, while I was the assistant manager at a resort on the west coast here, I'd regularly get calls from people in New York, Chicago, etc., who would ask the most interesting questions. There was one women who was planning a wedding at Niagara Falls for a weekend, and wanted to arrive here by car the next day for the honeymoon (not realizing the 2000-plus kilometres in between). She had this great, smokey voice, which sounded like a cross between one of Marge Simpson's sisters and Jerry Seinfeld's TV mother.

Another person once asked me what the "downtown Newfoundland" scene is like (thinking we were one enormous city).

I have to say, however, that once the American visitors took the leap of faith, made their plans, and actually arrived here, they were some of the most gracious people you could ever hope to meet. A few of them even left me letters of thanks, which was incredibly nice. :up:

VertigoGal said:

Back on topic...I hear they don't have much ice for your drinks in Europe. Straaange.

no, ice is strange most of the time. it numbs your taste, why would i want to numb my taste? (unless i'm drinking something awful, in which case i'd stop drinking it)

? I get plenty of ice when I order a drink.....JD & coke:drool:

:shifty:

By the way that goes for soft drinks too:wink:

:lmao:

dunno if it's the same for uk/ireland.

it does tend to water things down I guess.

who am I kidding, I've set foot in canada for a few hours, haven't been west of the mississippi since i was 2 for god's sake, I need to get the hell out of this thread. ;)

Yep pretty much....can't think of anytime where I haven't had to pay....not sure about mainland Europe though.

Okay, here's one. I've described to my American friends and roommates how in India, generally the unwritten rule is that the birthday kid has to 'treat' the others out to dinner or drinks. It's the total opposite of how it is here where everyone else treats the birthday boy or girl. People give gifts of course but you'd be amazed how all the friends you never knew you had, all come out of the woodwork when it's your birthday! :lol: That's something that my friends here didn't get. :wink:

How is it in other countries? like UK for instance? I suppose it's like how it is here in the US...?

LJT said:
Yep pretty much....can't think of anytime where I haven't had to pay....not sure about mainland Europe though.

in the 80's I remember here that we always had to pay for re-fills, but now probably about 95% of restaurants give you free re-fills.

Zootlesque said:
Okay, here's one. I've described to my American friends and roommates how in India, generally the unwritten rule is that the birthday kid has to 'treat' the others out to dinner or drinks. It's the total opposite of how it is here where everyone else treats the birthday boy or girl. People give gifts of course but you'd be amazed how all the friends you never knew you had, all come out of the woodwork when it's your birthday! :lol: That's something that my friends here didn't get. :wink:

How is it in other countries? like UK for instance? I suppose it's like how it is here in the US...?

Pretty much the unwritten rule here is 'get birthday person as drunk as possible in the shortest possible time'...lots of free drinks:D

^^Thats pretty cool DeadMan, so from now on American's are not allowed to complain about anything ever again...sheesh you guys get free refills.....:wink:

LJT said:

Pretty much the unwritten rule here is 'get birthday person as drunk as possible in the shortest possible time'...lots of free drinks:D

That's great! :rockon: I have no idea how the total reverse became the norm in India. :huh: I mean, don't get me wrong.. everybody gets :drunk: but mostly it's the birthday person that's spending! The good thing about that is you end up spending like that just once a year.. on your birthday. :wink:

DeadMansParty said:

I think it sounds alot better with an english accent, I heard this kid here in California say " bloody wanker", and it just doesnt sound right.

The one that bothers me is "cheers." I hate it when Americans say "cheers." The "r" in it sounds way too over-pronounced. It sounds like "chee-urs!" :mad:

meegannie said:

The one that bothers me is "cheers." I hate it when Americans say "cheers." The "r" in it sounds way too over-pronounced. It sounds like "chee-urs!" :mad:

I like listening to people's accent. Don't focus on what they're sayng but the sounds they make. I find that quite entertaining. You have to ask people to repeat themselves a lot, but it's cool to do anyway. I heard that the Martian language in Mars Attacks is based on the sound of English as heard by non-native speakers. And it kinda makes sense. English is a harsh-Germanic language.

In NY "Cheers" sounds like, "Chiuyz", closer to Cheese than Cheers. We also say "Jeat yet" which translates to "Did you eat yet?" And I was talking to a girl from Philly one day, and I had to stop her because she was speaking so fast I wasn't sure she was still speaking English. Language rules.

We were at a restaurant in Cork recently and were charged for refills on our sodas....and the size of the glass was probably less than a half pint :(

MsGiggles said:
We were at a restaurant in Cork recently and were charged for refills on our sodas....and the size of the glass was probably less than a half pint :(

Not if you go to Pizza Hut :hyper:

Hence why myself and my skint friends eat there so often :up:

beau2ifulday said:

Not if you go to Pizza Hut :hyper:

Hence why myself and my skint friends eat there so often :up:

me and my friends are down at 'the hut' on a weekly basis. it rocks! :smile:

I'm going to try to stick to Europe or else I'll start busting out things like penis gourds...

meat pie.

Meat should not be in pie form, unless it's a pot pie. Pot pies are good.

weißwurst, that one's disgusting too

most british slang.

most german music

and there are some languages that one just should not rap in

OH HERE'S ONE... mayonnaise on french fries! :yuck: :barf:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom