They've ruined Kate Winslet!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
She looked so great before and in this photo she looks ridiculous!

Winslet digitally whittled for GQ

Actress Kate Winslet may claim she is happy to be one of Hollywood's fuller-figured leading ladies, but her latest photo shoot seems to suggest otherwise.

Winslet appears on the front cover of men's magazine GQ with her trademark curves airbrushed out of existence.

Posing in a revealing black basque, she displays a pair of supermodel-skinny legs, tiny waist and razor-sharp cheekbones thanks to digital trickery.

Inside the magazine, the 27-year-old Titanic star looks even thinner, showing off an impossibly flat stomach.

GQ editor Dylan Jones admitted that the pictures had been "digitally manipulated" to make Winslet appear thinner than she really is, and said the actress had approved the results.

But they sit a little incongruously with the accompanying interview, in which Winslet berates women for equating sex appeal with being thin.

She said: "What is sexy? All I know from the men I've ever spoken to is that they like girls to have an arse on them, so why is it that women think in order to be adored they have to be thin? I just don't understand that way of thinking."

She insisted: "I'm certainly not a sex symbol who doesn't eat."

Winslet, soon to be seen in new film The Life Of David Gale alongside Kevin Spacey, was picked on at school for being overweight and earned the nickname Blubber.

"I think when you've been a fat kid, you always see yourself in some way as a bit of a black sheep," Winslet said.

"I'm completely physically comfortable with who I am and I have no particular issues any more and I don't feel I have to run around waving my flag about the female body any more."

Winslet has spoken many times in defence of larger women and was proud of her appearance in Titanic, the film which shot her to fame.

She admits in GQ that she had a "slightly more Marilyn Monroe-y shape" in those days, but in truth the actress has shed a great deal of weight since then.

She lost 27kg following the birth of her daughter Mia in 2000, attributing the weight loss to a facial analysis diet which prescribes an eating plan based on complexion and facial features.

The following year she split from husband Jim Threapleton and since meeting new love Sam Mendes she has looked noticeably more svelte.

GQ editor Dylan Jones, who conducted the interview, admitted Winslet had been "digitally altered" in the pictures, but no more than any other cover star.

He said: "These days you only get two kinds of pictures of celebrities - paparazzi pictures or pictures like these which have been highly styled, buffed, trimmed and altered to make the subject look as good as is humanly possible.

"We do that for everyone, whether they are a size six or a size 12. It hasn't a lot to do with body size. Practically every photo you see in a magazine will have been digitally altered in this way."

But he insisted that Winslet had not been drastically slimmed down in the photos.

Attachments

• kate.jpg
    kate.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 189
I read bout that last week

I dont think she looks big in real life

Mrs. Edge said:

He said: "These days you only get two kinds of pictures of celebrities - paparazzi pictures or pictures like these which have been highly styled, buffed, trimmed and altered to make the subject look as good as is humanly possible.

"We do that for everyone, whether they are a size six or a size 12. It hasn't a lot to do with body size. Practically every photo you see in a magazine will have been digitally altered in this way."

:tsk: :censored:

can I tell my kate story?

funny thing....we watched a kate winslet movie last night.
I feel I owe kate...she certainly changed things for me.
She is a good actor and very beautiful, whatever her body size/shape. She does us proud
As for the air-brushing thing?...the modern world and it's expectations.**it happens. Women have always been 'required " to shape up....now I see it happening to our young males. Under Pressure. A section of the world's population starves, a section overeats, with such dire consequences...
"...how lightly might this earth bear man forever..."
We love our girl kate...:yes: we do.

I just noticed she is 27...teehee, like natalie, nyoman and our very own maddie...sweet.

I went to an exhibit featuring Academy Award-nominated costumes and Kate's red dress from Titanic was on display. Since she came onto the scene, Kate has been described as curvy, full-figured, the whole nine but her dress was tiny!! If people are giving Kate Winslet, who is probably like a 6 or 8 at the most, crap about being overweight, then how ridiculously thin are the actresses and models who are conidered an acceptable weight?

Am I the only person who NEVER thought of Kate Winslet as having a fuller figure?????

Bonochick said:
Am I the only person who NEVER thought of Kate Winslet as having a fuller figure?????

No you are not the only one....am I the only one who thinks calling size 12 models" plus size " is INSANE !!!!

yeah Iris...I'm also a fat ass size 10 :rolleyes:

I must have been positively HUGE a year ago when I was a size 12. :eyebrow:

wtf? It looks like they put her head on a different body. It looks like a models body almost.

I was looking for a better pic of the mag and googled it and just found this.

http://www.kwfc.com/articles/Hello_Magazine_1_10_2003.shtml

Kate insists that she does not look like the GQ photos show her and she believes the airbrushing of her pictures was "excessive". She claims she has a Polaroid of the photos the day they were taken and she was quite satisfied with them as they were.

I'm still scratching my head about why she would agree to this. Sure she looks great in the magazine and its an ego boost blah, blah, blah...but when she's standing naked in front of the mirror in real life, she's still going to be a size 6, 8, 10 or whatever she really is. I thought she had a beautiful body in Titanic and she's spoken out many times about loving yourself no matter what size you are yet she approves of being digitally altered to look smaller. Very hypocritical Kate.

ya know good for Kate for being a new mom and being considered a sex symbol. but bad on GQ and all the other mags for putting crap out there that is misleading. at least she can have a good laugh at herself. i know i would be laughing if i saw pics of me that were altered to be more sexually appealing to a bunch of hormonal men. :lol: sure she looks great skinny, but hell that ain't her body. do y'all remember that Paula Abdul video were they stretched out her body so that she would appear slim on the screen? :der:

She certainly is beautiful. I've struggled with my weight size for around say...10 years. I don't want to be model thin, I just want to look good for myself. So I'm working out. My weight issues are probably why I don't look at women's magazines anymore. I'll be brave and say I'm a size 16. I'm not going to hide my size.
Men who don't like my body size can go fuck themselves. I know I'm beautiful.

icelle said:

Rock on!!!
ylsuper.gif

icelle said:

AWESOME!!!!!!! :bow: And you are!

I wish I could say that...it's tough though when you've been deeply hurt over this stuff by people who are supposed to love you :|

Kate is gorgeous just the way she is, and that's just ridiculous. I've been avoiding the magazines for that reason too. All of those photos are airbrushed, even those of the most "perfect" models.

Those pictures are freakish! Everyone know she's not that skinny! I'm shocked that she would be okay with so much airbrushing. I also think it's sad that she's considered full figured.

:lmao: that stomach is so obviously "digitally manipulated" it's hilarious. No one's stomach is a perfect straight line - even the super skinny people.

And yes, it certainly appears they forgot about the mirror - I think she looks perfectly fine in the mirror, too.

Come to think of it, I never thought Kate Winslet looked "full figured." Maybe "natural" would be the better term compared to the actresses who eat 2 pretzels per meal and are in the gym 23 hours out of the day because the mere hint of something other than skin and bones is horrifying to them.

Reminds me of a really good comedy bit by Dave Chappell. Too much time spent reading magazines about how to get a killer ab or tone that butt or a new miracle diet, with every picture being an insanely fit model, heavily airbrushed model, to the point where women forget how beautiful they are because they're constantly trying to live up to these damn near impossible images these so-called feminine magazines portray as "sexy."

deep said:

did they forget to airbrush the mirror?

I was thinking the same thing! What a slip-up.

She looks like she's sick in that photo.. the b&w one. Too damn skinny.

I never thought she was "full-figured", though.. just normal looking. Average.

ghetofabu said:
I don't care what anybody says. ESP in the one where she is just wearing panty hosie (sp?)

Look at her reflection in the mirror. You can see her real figure.
I think she looks fantastic (minus the airbrushing).

Back
Top Bottom