They've ruined Kate Winslet!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: did they forget to airbrush the mirror?

deep said:

4.jpg

:ohmy:

I think its Madonna in the picture and Kate in the mirror.

I for one really liked the way Kate looked BEFORE the airbrushing. There was a picture of her in the December issue of In Style...from the Oscars or such, when she wore the red dress.

125.jpg

114.jpg

She looked HEALTHY, for godssake. Really. If you flip through that same issue, you come across pictures of Nicole Kidman, Hilary Swank, Calista Flockhart, Naomi Watts...women who look waaay too thin. Then Sharon Stone, Reese Witherspoon, Kate, Jennider Garner, Halle Berry...look wonderful as normal women (well, slightly more normal for Hollywood).

Last edited:
Magazine's mutilated Winslet is one for the boys
My Week By Giles Coren
(From Times Magazine Online)

NOW I?m no feminist. In fact, from a professional point of view, I?m a sexist.
I write snide and chauvinistic things about women all the time, simply because they constantly write vile stuff about men, but most male journalists are too timid and pussy-whipped to respond in kind.

But the smug glee of the editor of GQ, who was challenged over the airbrushing of Kate Winslet this week and responded by boasting that he mutilates women in his magazine every month, has left me sickened. Then again, I have always been sickened by GQ. Or at least embarrassed. It is a lie from start to finish. Gentleman?s Quarterly, my eye. That?s a double whopper.

If they had a smidge of honesty about them they?d call it Teenage Virgins? Monthly. But that might make it hard to puff themselves as ?Britain?s Biggest-Selling Quality Men?s Magazine?.

GQ is nothing but a fantasy frottage aid for hairless prep school boys who can?t reach the top shelf.

This month?s magazine carries pictures of Winslet looking so thin that I thought at first they were part of a grim post-Christmas guilt campaign to raise money for the sick.

On closer inspection they turn out to be photographs of a beautiful woman which have been slashed to a straight edge at the tummy, bottom and thighs by a ham-fisted design trainee to make her conform to the kind of ?youngest legal teens on the net? image. ?Various parts have been improved, including her stomach and legs,? admitted GQ?s editor, Dylan Jones. ?Almost no picture that appears in GQ has not been digitally altered in some way.?

This is because GQ readers are afraid of real women. They do not yet know that women are wobbly, women are moody, and women smell a bit funny, but it doesn?t stop you wanting to go to bed with them. So GQ keeps them in cartoonland with cheap visual lies.

The shot of Winslet rolling a cigarette is part of a different aesthetic, similar to the revelation that Cameron Diaz enjoys burping competitions: the implication is that, despite having boobs which she might let you touch, she is in fact ?one of the blokes? and your sexual ineptitude will not hinder you.

GQ has to make itself accessible to a readership of men who, faced with a beautiful woman, would be able to do nothing more appealing than skin up or belch.

I interviewed the actress Rachel Weisz for Tatler in 1999. In the cuttings I had seen a recent interview in GQ in which pictures of the thoughtful Cambridge graduate from North London were accompanied by such quotes as, ?I love larging it up. Having it big time.?

I asked her what that meant. ?No idea,? she said. ?In the interview I droned on about French philosophers and the theory of drama. I guess they made up that stuff because it sounded sexier.? In the same year, GQ ran a page-sized, faked-up photograph of a naked model who appeared to have been raped and slashed to death, lying in a blood-spattered bath. As an employee (albeit very low-ranking) of Conde Nast, publisher of both GQ and Tatler, I wrote to the managing director of the company to say how sick, puerile and evil I thought it was.

He wrote back asking, ?Do you want me to keep this note or pass it on to the editor??

Furious, I wrote back: ?I want you to pass it on to anyone who can do something about it.?

Two days later the editor, James Brown, was fired. Not for grim misogyny but for a relatively innocuous paragraph written in admiration of the Gestapo?s dress sense.

And nothing has changed. The Winslet pictures are hollow-cheeked, smack-chic, supermodel dross accompanied by the celebration that she ?looks sexier than ever ? slim, elegant and self-consciously flirty?. Thank God, no mystery or depth.

All you need to know is that a cover line on the previous month?s GQ read: ?Justin Timberlake on love, sex and women.? Which is to say that GQ readers are such desperate little tight-scrotummed nerds that they can usefully turn for sexual advice to Britney Spears?s former boyfriend, a 21-year-old backing singer who went out with one of the most fancied women in the world for five years without persuading her to have sex.

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
All you need to know is that a cover line on the previous month?s GQ read: ?Justin Timberlake on love, sex and women.? Which is to say that GQ readers are such desperate little tight-scrotummed nerds that they can usefully turn for sexual advice to Britney Spears?s former boyfriend, a 21-year-old backing singer who went out with one of the most fancied women in the world for five years without persuading her to have sex.

omc. :lmao:

and i agree, kate looks one hundred times more beautiful in those in style pics than those hacked up gq ones. :down:

i believe she really did approve much less drastic airbrushing measures like she's saying. but i agree, she's certainly not full figured. she may have been what they consider full figure several years ago, but she's lost weight and is now more normal. but i still liked her even back in the day when she was like 15 pounds heavier.

dsmith2904 said:
I went to an exhibit featuring Academy Award-nominated costumes and Kate's red dress from Titanic was on display. Since she came onto the scene, Kate has been described as curvy, full-figured, the whole nine but her dress was tiny!! If people are giving Kate Winslet, who is probably like a 6 or 8 at the most, crap about being overweight, then how ridiculously thin are the actresses and models who are conidered an acceptable weight?

yeah i know her clothes are small!! she is skinny anyway..i think we need some size 14/16 girls in hollywood!! Not 4/6

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
lol why did i click on that GQ link? :scream: all about sex and women who have the "perfect" body. :der: :censored:

*runs back to look at the Rolling Stone cover of Justin Timberlake and his "hard" body. now i wonder how much of that is touched up?* :hmm:

Here is the challenge for all of the women here......

I would say that maybe outside of the ever-dashing Deathbear and maybe Super-sexy Diamon :der: - the majority of the men who post here look NOTHING like the poster boys you drool over daily (Justified, etc. etc.)

So, what I am saying is.....Don't you guys have these "perfect" male body images in your heads when in reality a lot of us can't live up to these images....??????

Double standard? hmmmmmm

Just a challenge....discuss.

:wave: - I am sure I would be a size 16 or higher if I wore women's clothing.....

For myself, I don't really like the look of model perfect men. I find that extremely boring. I like men who have certain gorgeous features, sure...but also have some unusual features too, or who seem more human and therefore subconsciously, I would feel like I had a chance with them. Actually men with a bit of a tummy are cuddly. :cute: Perfect looking men seem very inaccessible, the kind of men that only go out with perfect plastic women on some perfection planet that we don't inhabit anyway. (See The Bachelor/ette)

For example, take the Edge. His eyes, cheekbones, skin, personality and talent combine to make the most seductive cocktail to me, but if you take him in bits and pieces, he is scrawny, furry, bald, short, etc. Larry is totally gorgeous, but to me he is almost like a piece of beautiful art...again kind of inaccessible.

As for the whole thing about women's bodies...sometimes I wonder if it really is the men who want them to be so thin. Men are always saying they want something to hold onto, curves etc. Women are putting themselves under this pressure, comparing themselves to other women, etc. If women don't want to look thin, then they shouldn't bother! Easier said than done, I know.

Last edited:
zonelistener said:
So, what I am saying is.....Don't you guys have these "perfect" male body images in your heads when in reality a lot of us can't live up to these images....??????
naww, at least not for me. the one guy i drool over other than my husband even said himself that "pop stars have bowel movements." :laugh:

however yes, there are some girls out there like that. i don't think i've ever encountered anyone here like that, since it mostly happens with teeniebopper bands, and U2 isn't one. however, i know people like that in real life. one of my best friend's friends (note i didn't say she's mine, lol) is always obsessed with whoever the hottie blonde boy in some crap "band" is.

of course, she's the typical girl to be like that, too. she's emm, pudgy, as in her belly hangs over the crop tops she wears - in my (skinny) best friend's size, nonetheless. she's not too keen to hygiene, i know she doesn't brush her teeth, i'm not sure if she washes her hair. it's hard to tell stenches apart when you have that dragon breath and you can smell three-month old doritos. :crack: of course she's never had a boyfriend and may have never had a boy even be interested in her. any boyfriends she's had may not have been real, since none of us have ever met them. plus, she's lied about dating guys back when we were in high school, and when we would make some comment to them about her, they were like "ahh no, i don't date her."

but mrs. edge is right. the perfect men seem inaccessible anyway, which is why people like my friend's friend lust after them. they don't have to worry about rejection because they'll never even meet these guys. and they tend to go for their female counterparts, yes. justin and britney, anyone? :crack: but how do we explain larry and ann? (sorry, i don't find ann all that attractive.)

zonelistener said:

I would say that maybe outside of the ever-dashing Deathbear and maybe Super-sexy Diamon :der: - the majority of the men who post here look NOTHING like the poster boys you drool over daily (Justified, etc. etc.)

Double standard? hmmmmmm

:wave: - I am sure I would be a size 16 or higher if I wore women's clothing.....

I accept your challenge :sexywink:

I can't speak for other women, but I DO NOT like the male model, "Justified" pretty boy look at all. I never have and never will. I'm not trying to insult anyone who likes this look but for me, its way too feminine. That is why for me, Bono is an ideal man. He is handsome but in a very masculine way. He's on the short side, has been known to get a little pudgy and doesn't like to shave everyday. In other words, far from a pretty boy.

My husband is an average looking guy who works out everyday but will never be the buff model type...and I'm fine with that. The outside doesn't matter to me.

I don't like "pretty boys " either. Sure, I can admire their beauty, but if that's all there is, who is interested? I find these things attractive-intelligence, a good sense of humor, kindness, humility, sensitivity, someone who respects himself and women, and many more qualities. I don't want to be judged just on my looks, and I find a guy who does that to women to be very unattractive. You can always have a superficial relationship w/ someone who is very good looking if that's what you want.

Of course men have pressure to look good, but I dare say there is still far more pressure on women.

As for Larry and Ann, well, I think Ann is quite attractive, and I explain that as LOVE :heart: I'm sure he has many beautiful women approach him, but he is with a woman he has known and loved since he was very young.

Now THAT'S attractive!

Last edited:
:crack: My mom says I have bad taste in men. lol I don't go for conventionally good looking men. I don't personally really like "buff" men either. I dunno... I drool over "Justified" 'cause he looks really sexy... but sex is sex... love is based on something much more important.

I wish I had time to read all your posts and the links....thanks for the pics, we love our kate, more pics!! more pics!!.
I wanna tell my kate story...it has a happy"ending".
I have punished myself for a long time with self-esteem and body image issues. It was tough growing up at the beach/surf culture in the 60's and 70's.There were lots of superficial and cruel people ( especially boys, my parents weren't very "tactful" either...they still aren't).Some comments drove very deeply ..and stayed there.

Early last year I rented the video of a kate winslet movie "holy smoke"( I like Harvey Keitel too) I watched it while hub was at work. When he got home he said "aww , I wanted to watch that. KATE IS MY KIND OF GIRL!!" For some reason even though he has expressed his love of me for a long time, I haven't really believed it. For some reason that statement about Kate, hit me like a bolt of lightning. He DOES like me, the way I am. He's always said ,"you're a big girl..in all the right places" but I've never believed that, until recently......How's that for a true confession!! **cass hands out vomit buckets**
I'll keep on...look out. I did read the article that was first posted in this thread and I think she mentioned she has lost 27 kgs since the birth of her child. Funny figure..i have lost 27 kgs in the past 6 months. I had lots of things happen, I'll spare you the details...I was either going to get healthier or die. I feel so much more alive now, so many aspects of my life have improved. It has nothing to do with appearance( that is a fringe benefit) it has everything to do with being fit for life. I was aided in this getting a grip on things by some dear friends I made here at Interference too. A miracle!!Thanks.
So I am very sorry Kate has erred and is caught up in this current controversy( relationship breakdown and divorce, tends to make a gal loose a pound or two. I wish her and her child well in the future) If I was ever to meet her, I'd want to say THANK U Kate.

..and I'll spare you the gory details about what I have discovered about DVD technology...hahahahahahahahaha ha ha

ha ha
ha

oh while I'm at it...with my new reading glasses, hub told me I look like a school girl....hahahahahahaha, a 41 year old voluptuous school girl.
As you were...I'm outta here.

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
I for one really liked the way Kate looked BEFORE the airbrushing. There was a picture of her in the December issue of In Style...from the Oscars or such, when she wore the red dress.

125.jpg

114.jpg

She looked HEALTHY, for godssake. Really. If you flip through that same issue, you come across pictures of Nicole Kidman, Hilary Swank, Calista Flockhart, Naomi Watts...women who look waaay too thin. Then Sharon Stone, Reese Witherspoon, Kate, Jennider Garner, Halle Berry...look wonderful as normal women (well, slightly more normal for Hollywood).

She actually admitted to being "heavily corseted" when she wore that red dress...which made me feel better because she looked so perfectly streamlined!! :huh:

Elisabeth

zonelistener said:

Double standard? hmmmmmm

I know that I go for personality alot more than I go for looks...I mean, I have little quirks I am attracted to, like anyone. But I tend to be attracted to an imperfect, unique look--I'm attracted to that person, just because I am. I like poster boys (look at my avatar!) but that's not who or what I seek out. I would never turn a guy down because he wasn't a pretty boy!

I knew a guy who had a perfect body, perfect looks, hair, etc.--people thought he was very good looking. And he really liked me. But I was just simply not attracted. At all. And his perfectness really put me off and often made *me* feel a bit of a troll!

On the other hand, I admit I have been sucked in by great looks, only to find out what a sleaze the guy really was.

But *I* have a question for the guys...do *you* ever feel pressured to look like a media ideal? I mean, do you look in the mirror and think "So-and-so has such a great body and girls like him, girls will never like me!" And would you actively spend hours in the gym trying to attain a perfect body, or spend hours on your hair and clothes...whatever? Do you ever feel that kind of pressure, or do you blow it off easier?

I suppose my question might be answered by the one posed, but I am still unsure if guys feel that kind of fear and self-loathing that alot of women are driven to feel....?

Elisabeth

Back
Top Bottom