There Will Be Blood (SPOILERS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It did feel different from the rest of the film, but then a lot of time had passed and I'm sure that Plainview has changed significantly since we last saw him.

At first the murder seemed completely out of left field but of course the whole thing refers back to his baptism and the scene ebfore that when he blamed Eli for H.W.'s condition. I'm prepared to forgive Day-Lewis having gone OTT at the end because his character had become a drunk for presumably a long period of time (he's sleeping in the gutter after all).

Looking forward to seeing all of these major films again, but not until much later in the year at least.

How Kubrick-tastic was the end of the movie?

You've got the lighting, symmetrical shots of the hallways, the music cue even reminded me of the end of A Clockwork Orange.

Not to mention the use of narcotic laced (in this case whisky) milk. But that's a bit too tenuous lol.

The shot of Plainview bludgeoning Eli reminded me of the ape with the bone at the beginning of 2001.

Interesting parallel, too. The Dawn of Man and the Fall of One Man.

Did you now?

If I find out you've been lying to me, I'm going to find you and take back more than my money, is that alright with you?

You're welcome.

lol TWBB comes out the day of this huge Physics field trip that I can't go to. I'm gonna try and go to Wal-Mart early, buy it, and try and convince my teachers to let me watch it in my near-vacant classrooms.

An epic plan indeed.

41f0getwfolss400fj4.jpg

414lktsms3lss400am9.jpg

Amazing. I just abandoned my milkshake.

You're just an afterbirth...

No... that's not true, that's impossible!

I read the book first (Oil!, 1929) and I was wondering how it compared to the film. Has anyone read it and watched the film? Or, is this a horrible question to ask...

finally saw it!
i love daniel day lewis and this movie was brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!

im def. reading the book now

Fille Friday said:
I read the book first (Oil!, 1929) and I was wondering how it compared to the film. Has anyone read it and watched the film? Or, is this a horrible question to ask...

A few years back one of my Aunts suggested that I read Oil!....so I did.

I enjoyed it, although I'm not always a huge fan of Sinclair's writing style.

The cinematic adaptation is superior in every way, shape, and form.

Literally, Paul Thomas Anderson has drunk Upton Sinclair's milkshake.

Strange thing is, though I can't say that I liked the film that much, and thought it was patchy at most, for some reason it's lodged itself into my brain more than anything else I've seen in the last six months.

:bump:

Just watched it - so was Daniel's son not really his son but an orphan that he adopted? And Eli was a false prophet, right?

And the drainage... Daniel didn't need to drill for oil on Bandy's land because... :reject: I understand he owned all the surrounding land. I feel stoopid for askin' :reject:

Yeah, H.W. was the baby of the worker who died at the beginning of the film. After his death, Daniel took him in as his son... the real question you should be asking is whether or not he truly loved H.W. or used him for business like he said at the end. Yes, Eli was a zealot and false prophet.

Daniel owned all of the land around Bandy's tract, meaning he collects the oil underneath as well... that's where the milkshake line comes into play.

This is one of my 10 favorite films... I figured I should mention that.

Back
Top Bottom