There Will Be Blood (SPOILERS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMacPhisto said:
I think January 18th was the full release date in the States.

Hmmm. I guess I missed out then. That was a short stay. I'll have to wait for the dvd.

It's weird...I like D.D.L. AND I like frontier movies...but I have no desire to see this at all :ohmy:

ofoz9u.jpg

^^i'm getting nothing from that link.

impy13 said:

:lmao: that defies greatness.

brilliantly done movie, daniel day-lewis still rules, and...i suppose i could say something about how i think it should have won best picture despite the fact that i haven't seen no country for old men, or any of the other things that lost. but this is starting to sound word-for-word like what i said about gangs of ny. either way, i probably need a new avatar.

i need to find some time to see it in one of the commercial/chain theaters here, now that a couple of them are playing it. preferably without idiots in the audience. i was forced to go to the local hippie theater (where they serve chai instead of coke. seriously!), where one incredibly stupid woman yelled out for the rest of us to hear "OMG HIS SON!" when the derrick blew up. :der:

I still haven't seen all of movies I've wanted to see from last year, but this was my favorite.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I still haven't seen all of movies I've wanted to see from last year, but this was my favorite:

SydneyWhiteMoviePoster.jpg

That's cool, but I think you'll find that college is really nothing like that.

Dare to dream, though.

I was looking for TWBB t-shirts and stumbled upon a message board that had that here.

I told them I was quail hunting though.

Oh, a "There Will Be Blood" Thread...alright!

I had to do an entire paper on that beast of a film for Pop Culture a few weeks ago regarding the symbolizm through out the movie, DDL's performace, and the infamous "Milkshake" line and how it seemed to have exploded into the catch phrase of 2008 ect (Got a 98%), fantastic movie...DDL was amazing as always, and Paul Dano...I never would have thought he would have the talent to compete with the likes of Daniel Day Fucking Lewis!

Even though he just screamed like a girl through out the entire movie...

I saw it again with my BFF 4 days ago, there was nobody else in the theatre...literally...so everytime DDL said "Oil" we would scream "FUCK YA!"...its a stupid inside joke LOLOLO

Last edited:
I have a friend writing an article about "I Drink Your Milkshake" for the school newspaper and he asked me a few questions about it.

I found a great shirt, too, gang. I'll show you after I make my purchase.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I have a friend writing an article about "I Drink Your Milkshake" for the school newspaper and he asked me a few questions about it.

I found a great shirt, too, gang. I'll show you after I make my purchase.

Oh please do!

My shirt image:

Feel free to use if you want to make your own, too.

Zazzle ftw.

I made the image on Photoshop then took it to Zazzle.com, and they screen them onto shirts for you.

I'm putting that on a ringer tee for 20 bucks, but they have a pretty wide selection of shirts.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I made the image on Photoshop then took it to Zazzle.com, and they screen them onto shirts for you.

I'm putting that on a ringer tee for 20 bucks, but they have a pretty wide selection of shirts.

Fuck you with all of your fancy talk.

Finally saw this last night, on one of the better screens available in the cinema too. Technically it was superb, I think it will take repeated viewings to even nitpick. It's great to watch Anderson grow as a filmmaker; I recently rewatched Magnolia and was blown away all over again by the sheer verve and energy he poured into it, but it will be interesting to rewatch Punch Drunk Love again to remind myself how he began to restrain himself.

In Daniel Plainview, Daniel Day-Lewis has found another fascinating character with which to sink his acting chops into and he succeeds in making him extremely memorable. What I particularly enjoyed was not knowing hwre this character was going or what he would do next, something you could say about the film as a whole really. His character was the focal point of the film and as such there was no overwhelming conflict to resolve, just this man and how he carried on his business with several incidents on the way that built, defined and underlined his character. The opening and close was great for this. The film opens on a vast , wide open country, then cuts to Plainview all alone in a dark pit below the surface, the scene brutally going from expansive to closed in dank. Compare this to the end, when we are treated to a quick tour of his opulant mansion only to finish with him basically alone in the basement, only now with his materialistic dreams fulfilled but with blood on his hands and no love to show for it.

Indeed this is a man who seems to destroy everyone around him in pursuit of his ambitions. He is charming and cordial at first, even seemingly generous, but as soon as anyone poses a threat or an obstacle they are removed. And when he has used all of their resources he moves on and couldn't care less for their plight. This is a man who, by his own admission, despises humanity and just wants to win. That Monopoly game board is just so apt.

But Anderson is not to be forgotten. He keeps the pace slow but never overlong. He and award-winning cinematographer Robert Elswit fill each shot with grand images and imagery and construct some dazzling set pieces (H.W's deafening standing out). I really hope he speeds up his turnaround time without sacrificing his quality, I mean if the old greats could then why can't those working today?

I just reminded myself something else about Plainview - he really didn't care about the boy he adopted. I mean, he didn't make any effort to learn sign language to communicate with him, there's a chance the poor boy was illiterate as he reads "Henry's" diary upside down and to all intents and purposes never even named the kid. Did I miss what H.W. stood for or is it just a couple of idle letters?

Overall, a truly magnificent film that promises many rewarding rewatches. I have to say that I prefer No Country For Old Men at this point because it was so much more immediately gripping even if it too didn't follow a convential story arc, but I'll have to see in a year which holds up better. 2007 truly was a brilliant year for American cinema, with those two, Jesse James, Zodiac and I'm Not There among others completely wowing me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom