there haven't been enough wilco threads lately.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do NOT, under any circumstance, miss them when they go on tour. I've seen Wilco twice and now Jeff solo twice and it's amazing experience each time. They're by far my favorite American band ever.

I'm glad you finally got into YHF, my pick for the best album of the 2000's. For your next album, I'm going to go ahead and recommend Being There.

Thank you for the reccomendation. Though I'm sure I'll eventually get into them all eventually.

Lancemc said:
Ok. So here's the story. After hearing so much unconditional praise for this band and their landmark Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, an album I've somehow managed to completely avoid for 5 years, I decided to finally just dig in. I purchased it earlier today through the itunes music store and listened immediately.

My first listen left me impressed, but not overwhelmed. I was like "Ok, this is a good album, I like what I'm hearing. There isn't a single song on here I disliked, but it's not the best thing I've ever heard."

I just got finished my second listen. A real listen, with no distractions and a dark room. I still don't yet think it's the best thing ever...but it's damn close. Every single song impressed the hell out of me, and it's easily the most cohesive album I've heard since Kid A. This album's game is obviously Subtlety. There is so much beauty hidden in these tracks, there's no way I'll be able to discover it all in, I'm going to say even 10 listens. That said, I see the potential in this album to grow beyond my wildest expectations. I have a keen enough musical ear to know a "grower" when I hear one, and I can tell this is. That might sound strange, but I think patience will truely pay off. This album is so obviously deep, it's going to be a real challenge and pleasure digging in to this one.

Overall, it's nice to not get instant gratification from an album for a change. I honestly haven't been this intrigued by a single album since Kid A. I'm glad I finally decided to check this out. I can't friggen wait to explore the rest of Wilco's catalogue now...and I'm already excited about the new album due in May...and the subsequent tour.

Consider me converted. :drool:

Wow, you just summed up very nicely how I feel about both YHF and Kid A. YHF is my favorite Wilco record (certainly gets my vote for best of 2000s, too) and was also a grower for me. I've been listening to it for years now and it was only just last year on a road trip that I felt like I heard "Poor Places" for the first time. Never mind how many times I'd heard it, but finally I listened to it and was just blown away. The comparison with Kid A rings true for me. They are both two of my favorite records of all time and there is a similarity between them that I can't quite articulate. I'm so glad you like it. :)

My next pick for you would be "Summerteeth" but you can't go wrong with "Being There" either. "Summerteeth" is more pop, "Being There" more country, and I love them both. But for now I vote for really milking YHF.

Sky Blue Sky tracklist:

01 Either Way
02 You Are My Face
03 Impossible Germany
04 Sky Blue Sky
05 Side With the Seeds
06 Shake It Off
07 Please Be Patient With Me
08 Hate It Here
09 Leave Me (Like You Found Me)
10 Walken
11 What Light
12 On and On and On

Well, I'm disappointed to not see "Let's Not Get Carried Away" on there.

But at least we get "Impossible Germany." :drool:

Where's "Let's Fight" I wonder? That was my favorite new song I heard them play when I saw them last summer.

I'm really looking forward to this album, and the tour that's sure to follow. Wilco puts on one of the best live shows I've seen.

inmyplace13 said:
Sky Blue Sky tracklist:

01 Either Way
02 You Are My Face
03 Impossible Germany
04 Sky Blue Sky
05 Side With the Seeds
06 Shake It Off
07 Please Be Patient With Me
08 Hate It Here
09 Leave Me (Like You Found Me)
10 Walken
11 What Light
12 On and On and On

Well, I'm disappointed to not see "Let's Not Get Carried Away" on there.

But at least we get "Impossible Germany." :drool:

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I :heart: On and On and On :rockon:

Please Be Patient With Me :rockon:

"Please Be Patient With Me" is lovely. Can't wait to hear the band version as I've only heard the live Tweedy version.

Wonder if they'll do the usual streaming the week before. :drool:

So I picked up A Ghost is Born last night. Gave it a good listen. It had me at first, then sort of got boring. This is a tough album to crack. I can see the brilliance in it, I just need to get down to it to appreciate it.

So after a good night's sleep I'm giving it another spin, and it's sounding better already. I can tell this is going to be a real grower as well. It's obviously not as amazing as YHF, but I could see this being one of my favorites some day. Good stuff.

So uh, does anyone want to point me in the direction of some of the new songs they've been playing live?

you will soon realize that wishful thinking is one of the best things you've ever heard.

Listening to that song right now. It really is :drool:-worthy.

Other favorites so far include the incredible "At Least That's What You Said", "Hummingbird", and "Company in my Back". "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" is super cool as well.

That's definitely next on the list. I picked up Being There as my second album in imp's recommendation. I really like that album too. Not really a weak track on it, and a majority of them really blow me away. Misunderstood. :drool:

there are quite a few songs on summerteeth that you will never get out of your head again.

I just realized how much the first couple bars of "Theologians" reminds me of "Life On Mars?". Hah. I thought I had hit the shuffle button or something.

Lancemc said:
Oh my god. At Least That's What You Said is so :combust:

It is 85703457234056103 times better live, too.

Most of the Ghost songs are.

lance, do yourself a favour and get the kicking television double live album too. its a must-have for any wilco fan. :drool:

I'm listening to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot all the way through for the first time.

It's really good. :shifty:

EDIT: Scratch that. It's really great. The production on this album is amazing...the songs are all consistently good...no complaints at all.

Last edited:
Yes. YHF is one of the most solid and best-produced albums I've ever heard. It's amazing.

You know what though, the more I listen to A Ghost Is Born, the more I'm starting to believe I might actually prefer it to YHF. :reject: It's not nearly as perfect an album, but I really appreciate Wilco's vision with this, and their "fuck you" to the music industry. I even enjoy listening to Less Than You Think...yes...all of it. But I am taking sounds synth classes, so I'm just interested in the sonics and what's going on.

But I love how those 12 minutes of noise lull you into near unconciousness, and sort of void the rest of the album from your short-term memory. Then the entirely short and sweet "The Late Greats" come sout of nowhere and reminds you what you've been doing for the past hour of your life. :wink:

i will also recommend: the live at the 930 thats out there on the internet. wonderful thing.

Yeah. I want to get that. And I can't believe I wasn't a Wilco fan a few months earlier or i could have easily gone to that 930 club show. :grumpy:

Lancemc said:
Yeah. I want to get that. And I can't believe I wasn't a Wilco fan a few months earlier or i could have easily gone to that 930 club show. :grumpy:

Speaking of which, I'm listening to that show now, streaming from their website, but can anyone direct me where I can download the full show, or even just shoot me an email. It would be appreciated.

macphistojr@mac.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom