there haven't been enough wilco threads lately.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's odd. I just checked iTunes and it says it's on Kicking Television. Is it a secret song? :hmm:

It's not showing up on my cd-rom on disc 2, and disc 1 is out in the car and I'm too lazy to go out and get it.

joyfulgirl said:
That's odd. I just checked iTunes and it says it's on Kicking Television. Is it a secret song? :hmm:

It's not showing up on my cd-rom on disc 2, and disc 1 is out in the car and I'm too lazy to go out and get it.
Nope, it's not on the discs. It's an iTunes exclusive bonus track.

I also have "How To Fight Loneliness" I stole from someone on the Wilco board :reject:. It was offered as a presale free download and it's soooooooo good. It's a m4a file and I can YSI if you want...

Last edited:
playing now :drool:

Thank you! It's delicious. It's given me that warm happy feeling right before bedtime.

Anybody with even the slightest interest in Wilco must buy this now! I am now pissed off that I have never seen them live. And I even lived in Chicago for 5 years. :sad:

bsp77 said:
Anybody with even the slightest interest in Wilco must buy this now! I am now pissed off that I have never seen them live. And I even lived in Chicago for 5 years. :sad:

:hug: Luckily, they are road dogs and you will have plenty of opportunities to see them! I don't see them outgrowing their current venue size any time soon either so you won't miss out. Sometimes I wake up remembering that they toured with Radiohead a few years ago and I had the opportunity to see them at Red Rocks and didn't go and it's like a bad bad dream, 'no no no tell me that didn't happen, tell me I didn't miss my two favorite bands at Red Rocks together..."' but you know what? The current line-up of Wilco is the best, IMO. I rag on Jay Bennett but he was definitely brilliant; still, the current line-up took Wilco to a whole new level IMO. This is the Wilco to see.

If you haven't seen the documentary "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart," you MUST.

joyfulgirl said:

:hug: Luckily, they are road dogs and you will have plenty of opportunities to see them! I don't see them outgrowing their current venue size any time soon either so you won't miss out. Sometimes I wake up remembering that they toured with Radiohead a few years ago and I had the opportunity to see them at Red Rocks and didn't go and it's like a bad bad dream, 'no no no tell me that didn't happen, tell me I didn't miss my two favorite bands at Red Rocks together..."' but you know what? The current line-up of Wilco is the best, IMO. I rag on Jay Bennett but he was definitely brilliant; still, the current line-up took Wilco to a whole new level IMO. This is the Wilco to see.

If you haven't seen the documentary "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart," you MUST.

I know I need to see that. I have the Learning How to Die book and that was pretty fascinating, although I have heard it may be a little too pro-Tweedy, with all the Jay (Farrar and Bennett) bashing.

bsp77 said:

I know I need to see that. I have the Learning How to Die book and that was pretty fascinating, although I have heard it may be a little too pro-Tweedy, with all the Jay (Farrar and Bennett) bashing.

I read somewhere recently that I Am Trying to Break Your Heart showed Tweedy at his most aloof (and pain-killer addicted) and Bennett at his most anal so that it isn't a very flattering picture of either of them but I didn't know anything about the politics of the band when I saw it. I just thought Bennett was irritating while Tweedy seemd generally more likeable (though no doubt a control freak underneath the gentle soul exterior). But I also recognized that I probably wasn't seeing the whole story and that seeing a band in a crisis in the studio isn't really an accurate reflection of anyone. Still, it's a great film. The bonus tracks of Tweedy performing solo are just incredibly wonderful. I think it ranks up there with the best R&R documentaries.

Now a question. I've never listened to Son Volt. They're coming to my town (and hardly anyone interesting comes to my town) so should I go see them?

joyfulgirl said:

Now a question. I've never listened to Son Volt. They're coming to my town (and hardly anyone interesting comes to my town) so should I go see them?

I don't have any albums but have listened to some of them. It is good stuff, but much more rootsy than Wilco. Jay Farrar has stayed Alt-Country while Tweedy has moved on. So if you like Alt Country (such as Uncle Tupelo's Anodyne), then you should go.

joyfulgirl said:

Sometimes I wake up remembering that they toured with Radiohead a few years ago and I had the opportunity to see them at Red Rocks and didn't go and it's like a bad bad dream, 'no no no tell me that didn't happen, tell me I didn't miss my two favorite bands at Red Rocks together..."'

Would it ease your mind to know that they toured with REM, and not Radiohead? ;)

GINA :wave:

I noticed it is the birthday of another Wilcon fan today... :wink:

Wish her a happy birthday if you can.

Last edited:
Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

Would it ease your mind to know that they toured with REM, and not Radiohead? ;)

Y E S!!!!!!!!!!

I'm losing it, clearly.

Thank you. I can finally let that one go. :bow:

I FINALLY found a download of Kicking Television last night and I'm really looking forward to listening to it.

Oh, it's great. Anyone have a live version of "Theologians," though? That was my one major disappointment with the track selection.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Oh, it's great. Anyone have a live version of "Theologians," though? That was my one major disappointment with the track selection.

Yeah, I've got several versions of Theo.'s from the last year or so, but I've deleted them all from my computer after burning onto cdr's. You can find a lot of wilco shows out there on dimeadozen, etc. And yeah, it's as good live as on disc.

To be honest, Kicking Television has been unimpressive to me. I think in the near future, when I need a live wilco fix, I'll go back to my boots, not this collection. It's great to have a high quality version of Ashes (it has been spectacular live with Nels) and a few others, but I'd rather hear all of the between song banter by Jeff and have the natural song flow from their shows. And some of the songs are mediocre versions by wilco show standards.

joyfulgirl said:

Yes, Okemah is a great album and Farrar and this band are great live from what Ive heard. Id jump at the chance. If you want to get into some older SV, pick up Trace, its a classic.

i'm a wilco virgin. but i am about to get rid of that title. i have a feeling that i'm in for something delicious. i trust you guys when you say that this band is awesome.

U2Man said:
i'm a wilco virgin. but i am about to get rid of that title. i have a feeling that i'm in for something delicious. i trust you guys when you say that this band is awesome.

I was a Wilco virgin as well until not very long ago. And you're right, you are definitely in for something delicious. Which album do you plan on getting first?

thanks to chizip :rockon: i just got to hear yankee hotel foxtrot. you didn't lie, guys!!!

there's nothing like discovering a great band :drool:

U2Man said:
yankee and ghost.

Queen Bee gave me AGIB. :rockon: It's pretty fucking amazing. One word - Spiders! Glad you enjoyed YHF. When I listened to that album the first time through, I had one of those 'wow' moments. Very few current bands do that for me.

Summerteeth is also really good. I think you'll like it. It's pop-ish, but good pop. I love the title song. Pieholden Suite has a Beatles vibe about it (mainly just the music at the end, which I love.) Via Chicago is incredible. Those first few lyrics are perfect.

I'm glad this thread was bumped because I saw them for the second time last night and planned on bumping it myself.

Goooood golly, what a show. Nels Cline is a maniac. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

GibsonGirl said:

Queen Bee gave me AGIB. :rockon: It's pretty fucking amazing. One word - Spiders! Glad you enjoyed YHF. When I listened to that album the first time through, I had one of those 'wow' moments. Very few current bands do that for me.

Summerteeth is also really good. I think you'll like it. It's pop-ish, but good pop. I love the title song. Pieholden Suite has a Beatles vibe about it (mainly just the music at the end, which I love.) Via Chicago is incredible. Those first few lyrics are perfect.

im gonna get summerteeth soon. really enjoying yankee & ghost right now :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom