Their Satanic Majesties Request - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Please vote for your THREE FAVORITE songs
Sing This All Together 1 9.09%
Citadel 3 27.27%
In Another Land 0 0%
2000 Man 2 18.18%
Sing This All Together (See What Happens) 0 0%
She's A Rainbow 10 90.91%
The Lantern 2 18.18%
Gomper 1 9.09%
200 Light Years From Home 9 81.82%
On With the Show 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:53 PM
Their Satanic Majesties Request

Please: VOTE FOR YOUR THREE FAVORITE TRACKS

My man, Phanan comes through with the save, sending "Ruby Tuesday", "Let's Spend the Night Together" and "She Smiled Sweetly" on to the tier 2 semi-final.

To update you on the current semi-final standings:

Tier 3:
Not Fade Away
Mona (I Need You Baby)
It's All Over Now
Time Is On My Side
Play With Fire
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Get Off of My Cloud
As Tears Go By

Tier 2:
Mother's Little Helper
Under My Thumb
Paint it Black
Ruby Tuesday
Let's Spend the Night Together
She Smiled Sweetly

Tier 1:
None yet, but soon.

Now we arrive at probably the most divisive album in the Stones' catalogue, and honestly, just one of the more divisive albums ever recorded. Is it solid gold, or solid gold shit? I tend to be on the side of the former, as I consider it to be my favorite album by the Rolling Stones.

Based on things I've read, this means Keith Richards thinks I'm an idiot.

But that's OK. Music is...subjective as hell, right?

Please: VOTE FOR YOUR THREE FAVORITE TRACKS

Oh, and a quick thank you to this for being the first album that I don't have to fuck around with different track listings on .

Old 08-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Even being a fan of the album, this quote from Jagger cracks me up:

Quote:
There's a lot of rubbish on Satanic Majesties. Just too much time on our hands, too many drugs, no producer to tell us, "Enough already, thank you very much, now can we just get on with this song?" Anyone let loose in the studio will produce stuff like that. There was simply too much hanging around. It's like believing everything you do is great and not having any editing.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Old 08-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 11:53 PM
the stereo version is weak, but in mono it's monstrous. So fucking good! The whole album is out there and needs to be heard, but here's Citadel. Rock motherfuckers!

Old 08-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm listening to it right now, and it's not like it's the first time I ever heard it, but every time I listen to it I think I'll snap out of it and stop thinking it's so good, and then I get to "Sing This All Together (See What Happens) and I'm just like .
Old 08-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Haha, I just noticed what I named this thread .
Old 08-19-2015, 04:55 PM   #7
The Male

How is 30% of this album going through? Every song except She's a Rainbow either is badly performed, goes nowhere, drags, or has entire sections that suck in an otherwise interesting song. If you like this in any capacity, Piper At the Gates of Dawn, After Bathing At Baxter's, Quicksilver Messenger Service's debut, virtually anything by Ten Years After, etc. etc. should be your favorite album of all time.

She's a Rainbow is the only great song and it doesn't fit in at all. Then 2000 Light Years From Home is an example of this sound kinda working for them. Then I don't know, really. I find The Lantern strangely enjoyable.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:08 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Listened to this again today and really don't care for it. Really just proves that The Beatles were far better at the humorous/fanciful/trippy stuff.

I honestly don't even know if I can legitimately choose 3 standouts.

2000 Light Years From Home and...ehh
Old 08-19-2015, 05:39 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
How is 30% of this album going through? Every song except She's a Rainbow either is badly performed, goes nowhere, drags, or has entire sections that suck in an otherwise interesting song. If you like this in any capacity, Piper At the Gates of Dawn, After Bathing At Baxter's, Quicksilver Messenger Service's debut, virtually anything by Ten Years After, etc. etc. should be your favorite album of all time.

She's a Rainbow is the only great song and it doesn't fit in at all. Then 2000 Light Years From Home is an example of this sound kinda working for them. Then I don't know, really. I find The Lantern strangely enjoyable.
She's a Rainbow the single version maybe doesn't fit, but the album version is pretty seamlessly on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Listened to this again today and really don't care for it. Really just proves that The Beatles were far better at the humorous/fanciful/trippy stuff.

I honestly don't even know if I can legitimately choose 3 standouts.

2000 Light Years From Home and...ehh
Just please tell me you're not also trying to compare this album to Sgt. Peppers. I swear. Beyond the name and the album cover, the two are nothing alike, and this whole thing that's followed it forever about being some Sgt. Pepper's cop-off has always irritated me to no end.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

That's not the only Beatles album which has material fitting those adjectives I mentioned.

And it is weird to call this your favorite if you're a fan in general, because this album does not play to their strengths at all.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #11
The Male

I've always thought this sounded more like the first half of Magical Mystery Tour than Sgt Pepper.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
That's not the only Beatles album which has material fitting those adjectives I mentioned.

And it is weird to call this your favorite if you're a fan in general, because this album does not play to their strengths at all.
No, but it's the one it gets most often compared to because of when it was released.

It's weird that I call the album I enjoy the most my favorite? When I call this and Some Girls my two favorite albums by The Stones, I guess you could say their "strengths" just aren't my favorite thing about them, then, I guess.

Also, just wondering. When the Beatles stopped doing rock for a while to experiment, were they also not playing to their strengths, or is it just The Rolling Stones who are forbidden from playing around? Isn't The White Album your favorite Beatles record?

I don't mean to come off as angry, I'm not, but boy, it just seems to be impossible to talk about this album without drawing a comparison to The Beatles, and I find it hysterical, because I don't think much of any of it, beyond the chorus of "She's A Rainbow" sounds anything like them. The Beatles did a lot of things, but they did not invent psych music.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #13
The Male

I think there are plenty more influences on this album besides the Beatles. They're copping The Kinks (On With the Show) and Pink Floyd (Citadel just sounds like Apples and Oranges' verses) left and right. But All You Need Is Love (Sing This All Together) and Blue Jay Way (nearly everything) surely found their way into their heads.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

I guess, but All You Need Is Love is far more poppy and...like fun to sing along with .
Old 08-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:53 PM
SHE'S A RAINBOW AND SHE LOVES THE PEACEFUL LIFE
KNOWS I'LL GO CRAZY IF I DON'T GO CRAAAZY TONIIIIlIGHT

Tags
survivor, the rolling stones