Their Satanic Majesties Request

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your THREE FAVORITE songs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
Please: VOTE FOR YOUR THREE FAVORITE TRACKS

My man, Phanan comes through with the save, sending "Ruby Tuesday", "Let's Spend the Night Together" and "She Smiled Sweetly" on to the tier 2 semi-final.

To update you on the current semi-final standings:

Tier 3:
Not Fade Away
Mona (I Need You Baby)
It's All Over Now
Time Is On My Side
Play With Fire
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Get Off of My Cloud
As Tears Go By

Tier 2:
Mother's Little Helper
Under My Thumb
Paint it Black
Ruby Tuesday
Let's Spend the Night Together
She Smiled Sweetly

Tier 1:
None yet, but soon.

Now we arrive at probably the most divisive album in the Stones' catalogue, and honestly, just one of the more divisive albums ever recorded. Is it solid gold, or solid gold shit? I tend to be on the side of the former, as I consider it to be my favorite album by the Rolling Stones.

Based on things I've read, this means Keith Richards thinks I'm an idiot.

But that's OK. Music is...subjective as hell, right?

Please: VOTE FOR YOUR THREE FAVORITE TRACKS

Oh, and a quick thank you to this for being the first album that I don't have to fuck around with different track listings on :bow:.

Even being a fan of the album, this quote from Jagger cracks me up:

There's a lot of rubbish on Satanic Majesties. Just too much time on our hands, too many drugs, no producer to tell us, "Enough already, thank you very much, now can we just get on with this song?" Anyone let loose in the studio will produce stuff like that. There was simply too much hanging around. It's like believing everything you do is great and not having any editing.

the stereo version is weak, but in mono it's monstrous. So fucking good! The whole album is out there and needs to be heard, but here's Citadel. Rock motherfuckers!

I'm listening to it right now, and it's not like it's the first time I ever heard it, but every time I listen to it I think I'll snap out of it and stop thinking it's so good, and then I get to "Sing This All Together (See What Happens) and I'm just like :drool:.

How is 30% of this album going through? Every song except She's a Rainbow either is badly performed, goes nowhere, drags, or has entire sections that suck in an otherwise interesting song. If you like this in any capacity, Piper At the Gates of Dawn, After Bathing At Baxter's, Quicksilver Messenger Service's debut, virtually anything by Ten Years After, etc. etc. should be your favorite album of all time.

She's a Rainbow is the only great song and it doesn't fit in at all. Then 2000 Light Years From Home is an example of this sound kinda working for them. Then I don't know, really. I find The Lantern strangely enjoyable.

Listened to this again today and really don't care for it. Really just proves that The Beatles were far better at the humorous/fanciful/trippy stuff.

I honestly don't even know if I can legitimately choose 3 standouts.

2000 Light Years From Home and...ehh

How is 30% of this album going through? Every song except She's a Rainbow either is badly performed, goes nowhere, drags, or has entire sections that suck in an otherwise interesting song. If you like this in any capacity, Piper At the Gates of Dawn, After Bathing At Baxter's, Quicksilver Messenger Service's debut, virtually anything by Ten Years After, etc. etc. should be your favorite album of all time.

She's a Rainbow is the only great song and it doesn't fit in at all. Then 2000 Light Years From Home is an example of this sound kinda working for them. Then I don't know, really. I find The Lantern strangely enjoyable.

She's a Rainbow the single version maybe doesn't fit, but the album version is pretty seamlessly on there.

Listened to this again today and really don't care for it. Really just proves that The Beatles were far better at the humorous/fanciful/trippy stuff.

I honestly don't even know if I can legitimately choose 3 standouts.

2000 Light Years From Home and...ehh

Just please tell me you're not also trying to compare this album to Sgt. Peppers. I swear. Beyond the name and the album cover, the two are nothing alike, and this whole thing that's followed it forever about being some Sgt. Pepper's cop-off has always irritated me to no end.

That's not the only Beatles album which has material fitting those adjectives I mentioned.

And it is weird to call this your favorite if you're a fan in general, because this album does not play to their strengths at all.

I've always thought this sounded more like the first half of Magical Mystery Tour than Sgt Pepper.

That's not the only Beatles album which has material fitting those adjectives I mentioned.

And it is weird to call this your favorite if you're a fan in general, because this album does not play to their strengths at all.

No, but it's the one it gets most often compared to because of when it was released.

It's weird that I call the album I enjoy the most my favorite? When I call this and Some Girls my two favorite albums by The Stones, I guess you could say their "strengths" just aren't my favorite thing about them, then, I guess.

Also, just wondering. When the Beatles stopped doing rock for a while to experiment, were they also not playing to their strengths, or is it just The Rolling Stones who are forbidden from playing around? Isn't The White Album your favorite Beatles record?

I don't mean to come off as angry, I'm not, but boy, it just seems to be impossible to talk about this album without drawing a comparison to The Beatles, and I find it hysterical, because I don't think much of any of it, beyond the chorus of "She's A Rainbow" sounds anything like them. The Beatles did a lot of things, but they did not invent psych music.

I think there are plenty more influences on this album besides the Beatles. They're copping The Kinks (On With the Show) and Pink Floyd (Citadel just sounds like Apples and Oranges' verses) left and right. But All You Need Is Love (Sing This All Together) and Blue Jay Way (nearly everything) surely found their way into their heads.

SHE'S A RAINBOW AND SHE LOVES THE PEACEFUL LIFE
KNOWS I'LL GO CRAZY IF I DON'T GO CRAAAZY TONIIIIlIGHT

Also, just wondering. When the Beatles stopped doing rock for a while to experiment, were they also not playing to their strengths, or is it just The Rolling Stones who are forbidden from playing around? Isn't The White Album your favorite Beatles record?

I don't mean to come off as angry, I'm not, but boy, it just seems to be impossible to talk about this album without drawing a comparison to The Beatles, and I find it hysterical, because I don't think much of any of it, beyond the chorus of "She's A Rainbow" sounds anything like them. The Beatles did a lot of things, but they did not invent psych music.

I was simply trying to compare two contemporaries from the same era. And I'll restate my point again: I find the Beatles do the oddball/humorous stuff better. This has nothing to do with anyone inventing psychedelia or laying claim to the sub-genre.

Odd that you would use The White Album as an arguing point, considering that for the most part it's a step down in experimentation from MMT. Yes, you have stuff like Revolution #9, but for the most part it's conventional pop and rock from different eras. That certainly doesn't go against their strengths.

The Stones are ultimately a blues-based rock band that doesn't dip into other paint cans too often. There are a handful of tracks where they go outside the box with success (Miss You, Undercover of the Night, Fingerprint File), but they tend not to stray too far from the basics. Wisely. Zeppelin may have started with similar origins but they proved far more adept at trying different things.

SHE'S A RAINBOW AND SHE LOVES THE PEACEFUL LIFE
KNOWS I'LL GO CRAZY IF I DON'T GO CRAAAZY TONIIIIlIGHT

Don't forget that the song also contains the line "she comes in colors" which Bono has appropriated for at least a couple songs.

Next poll should just be a tiebreaker for all the songs that are in third place in this poll...and if there's only one, maybe we can just let that track move on?

She's a Rainbow, 2000 Light Years.

Then 3rd is a tough call between Citadel, Another Land, 2000 Man and Lantern.

I was simply trying to compare two contemporaries from the same era. And I'll restate my point again: I find the Beatles do the oddball/humorous stuff better. This has nothing to do with anyone inventing psychedelia or laying claim to the sub-genre.

Odd that you would use The White Album as an arguing point, considering that for the most part it's a step down in experimentation from MMT. Yes, you have stuff like Revolution #9, but for the most part it's conventional pop and rock from different eras. That certainly doesn't go against their strengths.

The Stones are ultimately a blues-based rock band that doesn't dip into other paint cans too often. There are a handful of tracks where they go outside the box with success (Miss You, Undercover of the Night, Fingerprint File), but they tend not to stray too far from the basics. Wisely. Zeppelin may have started with similar origins but they proved far more adept at trying different things.

Very fair points. I do feel like maybe the phrase 'familiarity breeds contempt' is very apt for me with the Beatles, barring such a strong word as contempt. I have literally been listening to the Beatles for as long as I can remember, so when people tell me that MMT is experimental, I kinda get confused, because to me that is what rock music sounds like, because it was some of the first rock music I was ever exposed to. So, I know that I can't make a good comparison, personally.

What I know about this album though, is that it excites me. I enjoy listening to it. I like how off the rails it is. And I applaud them for doing something different, even if they've totally taken a U2 approach and shunned the album ala Pop. I still love it, I'm glad it exists.

Hell, what I said above may very well be true of The Stones for me as well. I've heard most of their singles most of my life as well, so maybe that's the reason why Some Girls and this album appeal so strongly to me, since they don't sound anything like much of their other music.

Huzzah, someone broke the tie.

Before I get the first of the "Big Four" album threads ready, should I continue to run those in this format of voting for your, in this case, five favorite tracks, or should I do a normal survivor?

I'll wait a bit for thoughts before I get things started.

I agree, full survivors for the big ones.

I hear more of a correlation to bands like the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane with this album than I do Sgt Pepper's or Magical Mystery Tour

Back
Top Bottom