"The young Canucks...are like watching a rock show..." - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2003, 03:23 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hallucination
I don't know. If I have to choose between the Leafs and the Canucks it's the Canucks any day of the week. The Leafs are the lamest pro sports franchise going. they give off this New York Yankee arrogance but without half the class and without the championships. Oh man. Don't get me started on the Leafs. LOL.
I didn't even have to look at your location to know you were from Alberta.

Je me souviens... something contradictory to what Angel was trying to tell chizip. That's what it is.

Old 12-05-2003, 03:33 AM   #17
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:24 PM
je me souviens = i remember: it is most commonly found on quebec license plates. personally, i have problems remembering a lot of things.

Old 12-05-2003, 03:46 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:24 PM
What?! Another Vancouverite?!? This can't be!

Brutal game tonight, hey? I hope they all go home and take cold showers and wake up for Minnesota next game.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:58 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by fah
je me souviens = i remember: it is most commonly found on quebec license plates.
It is a sort of subversive statement actually, that is derived from the famous "Je me souviens que ne sous le lis je fleuris sous la rose" line. (That means: I remember that born under the Lily, I have prospered under the rose). It became symbolic for Francophone life under Anglophone rule.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:56 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:24 PM
ive always heard this argument. but what it is about toronto that makes the maple leafs arrogant?
they were a great franchise, between the 70s and early 90s they were saddled with poor ownership.
since the 90s im quite certain they would prove to be the most successful canadian franchise by far (i know, no cup appearances but most wins, playoff series wins and whatnot) and probably top 5 in the league. they are also obviously one of the bigger spenders but since as of today they are the second best team in the league, im sure they and their fans can deal with it.

so they spend a lot of money-a la yankees. they also take in lots of money. only franchise to make money supposedly. i guess it all relates to the ignorance some canadians show toward toronto in accusing the city of being generally arrogant.

but up until about two weeks ago the canucks were definitely playing a better game so if you were indifferent to teams, go for the canucks. of course since then...things have changed.

none of this is to say the leafs are going to win the cup. theyve just been playing well.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:08 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Which argument are you referring to, kobayashi? The news article is simply about the viewership increases in Canucks games vs. Leaf games, so you must be reacting to someone's post?

As for the Leafs' current streak, it's great that they're playing so well, but once again 8 games does not a season make. It looks like they have pulled out of their funk, and hopefully they can keep it up. I still believe Ottawa will finish higher they they do when all is said and done, however... and I'd be very shocked (and disappointed in them) if the Canucks didn't as well.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:14 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

i guess i am referring to the more common argument re leafs and their arrogance...as portrayed by Hallucination.

people 'out east' enjoy good hockey. so they enjoy the canucks, the maple leafs, occassionally the sens and anyone else worthwhile.

you wont find anyone near toronto too excited about the leafs surge.

as for end of season rankings...id say its wide open. certainly all canadian teams have had their strengths and weaknesses. relative to expectations, the sens will be the biggest disappointment. in their present composition, there is something missing. they may still be successful but the way they are going they open the playoffs on the road.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:46 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It surprises me that you say you won't find anyone near Toronto too excited about the Leafs surge, because TSN's commentators keep making remarks and jokes about the bandwagon getting too full, etc. Plus, you should see the message boards! They're ravenous.

Re: The Sens... It's funny you mention a "missing" ingredient. I've been wondering the same thing. But what has changed since last year when they completely dominated the NHL, and went to the conference finals? Surely the loss of Arvedson hasn't affected them this deeply, has it? Or perhaps it has? I think they're still waiting for Fisher to come back, too. Plus, Lalime is having some problems. I suppose Arvedson brought a great defensive structure to their penalty killing and key game situations. Maybe that is it. Good thing the Canucks have him now! (Hee hee hee, I'm so bad.)
Old 12-08-2003, 02:56 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

toronto has always been notorious for 'planning the yonge st. parade in mid september' when training camp ramps up but all around the team and fans ive seen excitement, but certainly not the unbridled enthusiasm that felled billy mumphrey.
they still talk about it a lot in the media as you said. i dont think it makes a difference-the leafs will lose when they lose, and youd think that is sooner than later.

re senators. they did lose arvedson and lalime has been askew but they also lost roger. neilson's death was supposed to inspire but this team has looked flat. alfredsson's a good guy as a captain. much like sundin he is quiet and reserved. but sundin is surrounded by a lot of veterans and former captains. not to say his team mates dont trust alfredsson, they just might need a vocal kick in the ass. they certainly have the skill. jason spezza is going to be causing problems for the maple leafs for a long long time (905 area kids always play best against the leafs).