The Wire... FINAL SEASON...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
deep said:

I am sorry if I offended you

I have posted spoilers before

(the mods fixed it, thanks)

it is an easy thing to do.

It happens a lot
with the east coast being three hours ahead of us here on the west coast

we just remind the poster
and move on

I am a big fan of the wire, too

I have watch every episode from season one, it is one of the best series, ever!

I hope you will keep posting

thanks for understanding.. and again I am sorry about the post.. I sorta lost my mind there.. :lol:

anywho... I will refrain from posting anything that could be a possible spoiler in the future.. duly noted.. :D

I have been meaning to catch Mad Men.. What day and time is it on? And is it on AMC right?

AMC

I'd do a serch of the listings in your area

also, it was on

onDemand for awhile with my Time Warner Cable - awhile back,

I had to dig through my onDemand menu to find it.

I am going to write about the episode that aired on HBO last night, Feb 24

so if you have not watched it yet

this post will contain

spoilers below

anyways

I was not surprised to see Omar
end the way he did

Proposition Joe

went out like a cigarette

so why not Omar?

I was more upset when Stinger Bell got whacked

and it made sense
that Omar would not suspect a 9 year old - to blow him away

they would not let him take out Marlow

that character is too complicated

McNulty is at risk

you may recall when he dropped that homeless guy off
the lady at the shelter interacted quite a bit with him

she will remember him

and don't think with this case
going wide, that the homeless guy won't be found

Just watched the series finale yesterday -- and now I am in mourning. I will seriously miss one of the best shows in TV history.

This was a really fun season. Having worked for newspapers, I enjoyed seeing the Baltimore Sun's inner workings.

Lester Freamon, one of my favorite TV characters of all time.

how the hell did you manage that??? it wasn't put on demand according to David Simon and HBO... :confused::eyebrow:

are you thinking Episode 59 is the finale?

here's what 59 is:

THE WIRE 59: LATE EDITIONS

Running Time: 59 minutes

Genre: Drama

With Steintorf ordering Rawls to initiate "creative" remedies for the rising crime rate, Freamon's vigilance pays off with a promising lead, sending Sydnor and the department into overdrive. Although Daniels is originally delighted, a further probe with Pearlman reveals some troubling source information. McNulty, feeling betrayed, doesn't feel like sharing in Freamon's celebration; Michael is suspicious about his latest assignment; Haynes gets some fresh eyes to help with fact-checking; Namond's debating skills make Colvin proud; Davis points a finger at Levy and the courts; Bubbles recounts a recent temptation overcome. (TVMA) (AC,AL)

>>unless someone gave you a copy of Episode 60 (which is the finale)... :shrug:

Last edited:
here's the article I was referring to in my previous post..

Fans demand their 'Wire' -- but they'll have to wait

By Mallory Simon
CNN

(CNN) -- Benjamin Wallen, self-proclaimed biggest fan of HBO's "The Wire," thought it was well worth a $300 flight home to watch the highly anticipated series finale of the acclaimed crime drama with his best friends -- and fellow series diehards -- Sunday night.

The finale of "The Wire" has raised intense interest -- all the more so because it's not available on demand.

Though the season finale is not scheduled to air nationally until Sunday, HBO has made episodes of the series available through certain cable providers' on-demand feature up to a week before their national air dates.

But when Wallen and his friends huddled around the television and switched on the cable box at 12:03 a.m. Monday, their hearts sank: The new episode wasn't listed. They tried an old trick, turning the cable box power switch on and off, hoping the episode would eventually appear. Finally, something did show up -- but not the finale.

In the place where the show should have been, Wallen, 24, and his friends found a one-minute preview of the finale that ended simply with a title screen bearing the date "March 10," the day the show will be available on demand.

Like thousands of other "Wire" fanatics who had similarly flocked to the presumed early screener Sunday night, the group sat stunned.

"It completely killed the whole weekend," Wallen said. "We are diehard fans who have watched it every week -- a week early. We didn't think this week would be any different."

The finale of "The Wire" has earned intense interest from fans who have followed the Baltimore-set show zealously since its premiere in 2002. The critically lauded show has never matched the audience of other HBO programs, such as "The Sopranos," but its viewers are a particularly passionate lot, following the show's motley crew of cops, drug dealers, struggling children, politicians and journalists with deeply probing blogs and running commentary. Gallery: Get to know the characters of "The Wire" »

They want to delve deeper into the show's portrayal of what creator David Simon has described as "what it feels like to live in the American city."

While the decision to not release the show early was a surprise to fans, it was one made back at the beginning of the final season at the urging of Simon, executives at HBO said.

HBO vice president Dave Baldwin said that in seasons past, spoilers about season finales and the episodes themselves had leaked onto the Web, so Simon requested a change in the schedule.

Baldwin acknowledged that there were many angry fans -- some of whom are calling HBO liars -- but attributed their rancor to their passion for the show. But what could he say?

"Forgive us, we thought we were doing the right thing," Baldwin said. "And anything else that a husband would say to his wife [in] begging for forgiveness."

The curtain of secrecy around "The Wire" finale is one Simon intends to keep tightly drawn until the show begins Sunday night.

Aaron Barnhart, TV critic for The Kansas City Star, found out just how tightly guarded Simon intended to keep it when he posted an entry to his blog about the advance copy of the finale he received.

Barnhart told CNN he intended not to spoil the show for fans, only discussing small details of the finale. But what Barnhart thought was a small detail -- the finale's closing song -- turned out to be otherwise for Simon.

Less than three hours after the blog entry was posted, Barnhart received a voice mail from someone identifying himself as Simon, imploring him to take the post down, because there is a great deal of anticipation and betting on what the song will be.

Barnhart said he had no idea the closing segment was such a big deal, saying it hadn't made a big impact on him in the past, but he realized that doesn't mean it isn't a huge deal to other fans.

"I think it is a token of the strong bond that this show has to its small niche of fans," he said. "[Simon] wants to reward the devotion of those fans with a moment like that. He's decided it's important, and the fact that it's not important to me doesn't entitle me to spoil it."

While some "Wire" fans who were duped out of an early release ranted on HBO message boards, Facebook and MySpace, Wallen said he and his friends decided to find the positive in it all.

"I guess the consolation is that we have five extra days to be excited and talk about the show before it's over," he said.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
how the hell did you manage that??? it wasn't put on demand according to David Simon and HBO... :confused::eyebrow:

are you thinking Episode 59 is the finale?

I'm sneaky. <wink>

Bittorrent. There are reviewer copies floating around.

It's an excellent episode, very nicely done. Tied up the storylines well. I won't spoil it, but the finale was a nice tribute to the city and people of Baltimore.

SeattleVertigo said:

I'm sneaky. <wink>

Bittorrent. There are reviewer copies floating around.

It's an excellent episode, very nicely done. Tied up the storylines well. I won't spoil it, but the finale was a nice tribute to the city and people of Baltimore.

oh u sneaky devil!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shame:

:D thanks for not spoiling... You are certainly better at it than I am...:lol:

SeattleVertigo said:
Lester Freamon, one of my favorite TV characters of all time.
The_Wire_Freamon.jpg

David Simon is the key.

I'll be watching for his next project.

A Former Baltimore Sun crime reporter, David Simon is the author of the book "The Corner," and is the creator of both Baltimore-based show "The Wire" and the inspiration behind the show "Homicide: Life on the Street." Simon's book "A Year on the Killing Streets" is what the show was based upon. Simon was known for his in-depth reporting in covering the drug trade in Baltimore in the 80s and early 90s. Simon forged relationships with police and drug dealers and local residents who he used as sources for his crime reporting and later, as references for the many true-life stories seen on "The Wire" and "The Corner" especially.

Personal Quotes

The guys we were stealing from in The Wire are the Greeks. In our heads we're writing a Greek tragedy, but instead of the gods being petulant and jealous Olympians hurling lightning bolts down at our protagonists, it's the Postmodern institutions that are the gods. And they are gods. And no one is bigger.

(discussing whether he hopes "The Wire" will cause reforms of the institutions portrayed in the series) I'll tell you what, this would be enough for me: The next time the drug czar or Ashcroft or any of these guys stands up and declares, 'With a little fine-tuning, with a few more prison cells, and a few more lawyers, a few more cops, a little better armament, and another omnibus crime bill that adds 15 more death-penalty statutes, we can win the war on drugs' -- if a slightly larger percentage of the American population looks at him and goes, 'You are so full of shit' ... that would be gratifying.

this is it folks.. tonite is the nite.. finale time... looking forward to it but so sad at the same time.. To me, I think they could do another season. I think there are other angles they can go with.. but its not to be... :sad:

A little over an hour for us west coasters

well, I have been here since day one

5 years is a good run

I hpoe the creator and writer will go on to something else

we can all enjoy

and that he again will give a voice
to the voiceless

I too, have been there since day one.. I agree it has been incredible run... BEST TV SHOW out there..

we will always have dvds and on demand to watch anytime we are feeling a need for some truly quality writing and acting... I know where to go that's for sure...

this show will be missed...:(

That was the last episode ever? It was the first time I've seen it :) Not really my cup 'o tea, just not into the violence & realism of how fucked up things really are, anymore. For some reason I thought it was gonna be like the Office or a comedy of some sort :huh:

Did you catch the entire bar singing to Shane's 'Body of an American', when one of the main guys was lying on the felt acting dead. How the heck do dozens of cops know every word to a fairly obscure Pogues song. Just wondering, seemed silly to me.

well that is what happens when you watch the last episode of

five years

i thought the episode was a bit slow, too

it is not the office (thank god)

more like "the shield" but better.

the guy was Irish
as many of the cops were

is it a pouges song

or an old Irish song?

here is an article fron the LA Times

that has many things I agree with

The sun finally sets on 'The Wire'
In the end, 'The Wire' spins out a future that is believable if not exactly cathartic.

By Mary McNamara
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

March 10, 2008

For me, "The Wire" ended a week ago when Snoop (Felicia Pearson) died. She was shot by Michael (Tristan Wilds), the young drug dealer who teetered on the edge of redemption all season, and her death, like her life, embodied both the show and the city it rhapsodically mourned.

An androgynous waif with legit, which is to say virtually unintelligible, Baltimore street vocals and real-life criminal cred (Pearson did time for manslaughter), Snoop committed murder the way other young women text-message their friends -- regularly and with an air of distracted enjoyment alarmingly close to boredom. She was neither immoral nor amoral, but post-moral. A morality vacuum, obliterating the illusion of choice the moment after it was made.

"How ma hair look, Mike?" she asked just before taking a bullet in the head, and you could hear the shrug in her voice. (Javier Bardem, eat your heart out.) Snoop did what she did -- killed lots of people -- because that's what you do, you know, when you're Snoop. It's not any more complicated than that. Or at least not according to "The Wire." The universe moves in slow, painfully familiar patterns that creep in that ever-widening gyre toward degeneration. Only a few small instances of transformation briefly postpone the decline.

This is where the finale of one of the few truly groundbreaking shows left us: in Baltimore, a city relying on perpetual cosmetic reinvention while the foundations buckle and the cellars fill with corpses. Created by former Baltimore Sun reporter David Simon, "The Wire" is, was, no more a traditional portrait of Charm City -- Phillips' crab cakes! The National Aquarium! The "Diner" guys! -- than it was a traditional cop show. Instead, it relentlessly (and at times, obsessively) focused on the shivering guts of the place. The cops, the criminals, the kids, the teachers, the bureaucrats, all the flawed threads of modern urban life were stripped and stretched and twisted together.

Each season brought a new caste under scrutiny. In the final season, it was the journalists of the Sun, squirming under the yoke of corporate ownership and blind self-congratulatory leadership. "The Wire's" harsh critique of pride, fear, corruption and incompetence slipped through the newsroom and found Scott Templeton (Tom McCarthy), a doughy-faced reporter fabricating quotes and stories as fast as his Pulitzer-hungry editor in chief would publish them. Warnings by fellow journos, including righteous city editor Gus Haynes (Clark Johnson) went, needless to say, unheeded, while those of us in the field spent the whole season waiting, longing, demanding that he get caught.

He didn't, of course, because this is, was, "The Wire," and justice, at least not lavish, soul-satisfying scoops of justice, is not on the menu. But Simon took his finale seriously and old school, wrapping up all the various story lines and giving viewers more endings than "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King."

At the center of the season, the harebrained scheme -- a fabricated serial killer preying on the homeless -- hatched by Det. James McNulty (Dominic West) to get the department enough funding to continue its investigation of rising drug kingpin Marlo Stanfield (Jamie Hector) fell apart. By the time it did, however, the mayor and too many City Hall big shots had bought into it for a whistle to be blown, so the matter was settled quietly to keep it out of the media, which would have damaged everyone's credibility.

The bust that finally nailed Marlo was compromised, and McNulty and Det. Lester Freamon (Clarke Peters), his partner in crime, watched as Marlo walked and only a few of his men got real time.

The Baltimore sun rose and set, then rose and set again, and nothing much has changed, for better or worse. Offering what it has always offered, the finale of "The Wire" spun out a future that is believable if not exactly cathartic, with no heroes, no villains, only the endless repetition of a mortally flawed system in which everyone is somewhat complicit.

For McNulty and Freamon, it's desk jobs in perpetuity or early retirement. They choose the latter and seem happy enough. Marlo too is forced into early retirement; he only walks if he quits dealing, becomes a legit businessman. Which, of course, he cannot do. We last see him succumbing to the undeniable seduction -- and inevitable death sentence -- of the street. Chief Daniels (Lance Reddick) refuses to play the mayor's number game and resigns, Assistant State's Attorney Rhonda Pearlman (Deirdre Lovejoy) becomes a judge, Mayor Tommy Carcetti (Aidan Gillen) is elected governor and Dukie (Jermain Crawford) is back on the street, but Bubbles (Andre Royo) manages to stay clean and is finally let out of his sister's basement.

Only over at the Sun does Simon let hope stagger and fall, right onto a freshly ground ax. The mendacious Templeton not only rides out Haynes' attempt to expose his lies, he wins the Pulitzer. And those of us waiting for the "Sun Must Return Pulitzer" denouement were stuck instead with the sight of Haynes being demoted to the copy desk.

It was a sad and lovely finale, with poignant images of Baltimore and its people; there was some shooting -- Michael's a thug now, the drug wars continue -- and even some singing, at a fake wake for McNulty. Finales are difficult, and this one was as good as they get, satisfying, yet no sledgehammers. But it wasn't the same, not without Snoop, who seemed the strange, unquiet heart of a great, unquiet show.

Back
Top Bottom