The Who's "Tommy"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I went to a local theatre tonight where they put on a theatrical version of the Who's Tommy, the first rock opera. I grew up on this music. I love it! I went with some family members. It was so strange. I did some real :censored: when I was listening to the Who as a high school student, trust me. I can't tell my brother's kid about some of this stuff. :censored: But the music always sounds so good. :cool: :cool: :cool:

I await the arrival of the 'Wizard'.

Early morning, no clouds in the sky.
Without warning, a wizard walked by.

The Whiz sure agrees with that. That album is a great piece of music to enjoy. By the end of it, you will be in love with the Who. And that crazy Pinball Wizard. Nice quote u2popmofo. :wink:

The main difference is that the play is, of course, a heck of alot more visual than the album. Of course the band and singers weren't the Who. But every song was very recognizable as a "Who song".

Yeah, I got freaked out by the movie as a little kid too :uhoh:

But I LOVE the album and I enjoy the movie now, even though it is kind of weird and campy. Roger Daltrey was WAY HOT in it, I mean, really sexy!! :drool:

I saw a stage production of it on TV once, but I didn't like it. I think trying to make it modern day, with the baggy pants and stuff takes away from it. The movie is the classic and that is the REAL Tommy. I do like Elton's Pinball Wizard just as much as the band's. Keith Moon as Uncle Ernie was hilarious but it did used to creep me out.

:up:... The pursuit of that one note... one sound. Finding the meaning of life in a rock song... what more can you ask for???

*extra emphasis with extra question marks!!!*

:wink:

I saw the origainal touring edition of the Broadway show when it hit Boston. The play is similar to the movie, buthas some differences. The movie was cool, with all the rock star cameos, can't beat the
Pinball Wizard scene(right, Whiz?).
But none of it tops the album or more importantly seeing it performed live by The Who.
I was a bit too young in 1969 to see it, but I did see the sort of revival of it on the 25th anniversary tour in 1989. They skipped a few pieces, but played 80% of it to start the concerts. (they did do it in its entirity in NY, I have it on videotape somewhere).

No machine can give the kind of stimulation needed to remove his inner block.

Back
Top Bottom