The Who appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I've had some Who CDs sitting on my shelf pretty inactive for awhile, and then I went back and listened to them again, and something really clicked for me this time. It's strange, because for Christmas my cousin got two old Who albums and he's really starting to like them now. So today we went shopping, and my mom told me and my dad to each pick out a movie. I picked up the Who & Special Guests: Live at the Royal Albert Hall. It's a benefit concert they did last year and there is so much passion in Pete and Roger after all these years. John is very skillful, but seemed less enthused. But let's use this thread to praise the Who.

I love The Who.

I might be completely insane here, but the video of The Who that you talked about...is one of the special guests on that Eddie Vedder?

But yeh, The Who are definitely one of my favourite bands.

Hey UL!! Find, rent, buy, steal, whatever The Kids Are Alright. This is a great movie full of The Who when they were The Who, not some sorry old farts who need money. Okay, they may have been old farts who needed money back then, but dammit! they ROCKED!! I LOVE The Who; I don't like what they've become. Get Live At Leeds on vinyl. The CD is okay, but you really need to hear the wonderful analogue pops and cracks of the recording the way it was meant to be heard.

------------------
...the highway speaks of deserts dry...

Like the Who a lot.

I think U2 and the Who are very comparable bands. They both seem to have the ability to put out emotional, anthemic bombshells (e.g., Baba O'Riley or I Can See For Miles compared with Sunday Bloody Sunday or Streets), while at the same time being capable of producing borderline-cheesy, less-than-serious, or even possibly self-deprecating stuff (I'm A Boy or Magic Bus vs. Numb or Sweetest Thing). I don't think it's a coincidence that U2 covered baba o'riley in New York last year.

If anyone else saw the Who at the Sept. 11 benefit concert, you'd agree that they can still unload some raw power. Their intensity amazed me. I hope U2 will be able to perform at that level at a similar age some day.

Thw Who was my favorite band as a young lad until a little known Irish combo came along...
They have always (even in their golden years) been one of the top live acts around...they blew everyone else away at the concert for NY.
As for Mr. Entwhistle not looking enthused...that's always been his style. Some clips are quite funny as anarchy reigns on stage around him and he stands just effortlessly playing his bass while the others smash everything in sight.

The Kids Are Alright is well worth seeing, as Martha said.

If you ever get a chance to see the Who live, please do so. I pray to God that U2 have that kind of passion when they're pushing 60. (Although Larry better still be with us here on planet Earth)
And Entwistle may not look excited but watching him live from close up is amazing. The guy is a marvel with the bass.

MAP

I don't think they're old farts who want money, all the proceeds from the DVD go to the benefit of a Teenage Cancer organization.

The Who are awesome. Who's Next is one of the truly great albums of all time.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

"Love Reign O'er Me" is the greatest song of all time by anybody. agree/disagree?

By the way, I heard that the Who is going to be recording a brand new album this year. It will be the first in 20 years.

Hmmm. I just mentioned The Who in a Strokes thread in another forum.

I could tell you all how much I really like and appreciate The Who but that would be boring and redundant, riiiight?
wink.gif

I just saw the Royal Albert Hall gig last night on TV. It was absolutely brilliant and I assure you that the next time im in a CD shop I'll pick it up. It was great to see them playing with modern stars like Noel Gallagher and Eddie Vedder. Noel looked like a kid in a candy store when he got up on stage.

Back
Top Bottom