The "Where do I start?" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FitzChivalry said:

Discovery! Discovery! Discovery! :hyper:

:lol:

Start with "Discovery", their 2nd album. Then get "Homework", their 1st album.

Skip over "Human After All" and go straight to "Alive 2007". It's got all the best bits from "Human After All", but raised from their dead, robotic, catatonic loop states and brought back to life in the live mix.

1. Discovery
2. Homework
3. Alive 2007

:drool: :drool: :drool:

I need an audio + video bootleg of Alive 2007. I have many of the audio bootlegs from the tour, but I want a video one. That tour's visuals were so AMAZINGLY, AMAZINGLY STUNNING!!! I need to see it again!! :combust:

Thanks, Fitz. Forgot all about this, but I was hoping if someone responded they would give me some direction on their live stuff. I saw a video somewhere of them and thought they looked pretty good live. :up:

hardyharhar said:
I'd start with Making Movies if your looking for a cd. Not a sour note to be found. But they've got good stuff on all of their releases.

I'd suggest Love Over Gold myself. Telegraph Road is perfect. :drool:

edge_2125 said:
Dire Straits?

If you want your mind blown to a million pieces, then I'd suggest Alchemy :drool:

Originally posted by LemonMelon
This is a bit random, but Daniel, if you haven't yet, check out Paul McCartney's Ram album. It's among the very best Beatles solo albums, certainly my favorite from Paul. It was recorded during that glorious period before Wings and just after the Beatles when Paul was brimming with ideas.

Thanks mate!! :up: I hadn't even heard of it, I'll be sure to check it out.

I'd go with Dire Straits' self-titled debut. Tight, clean pub rock, before all the shite 80s production values started to take over.

Canadiens1160 said:
I'd go with Dire Straits' self-titled debut. Tight, clean pub rock, before all the shite 80s production values started to take over.

Yup. :up: I hate 80s Dire Straits.

Thanks for the recommendations re: Dire Straits. I think I'll start with a compilation, to get an overall flavour, given that opinions seem to vary quite a bit.

GibsonGirl said:
Where else should I go with The Decemberists? I only have The Crane Wife. I really love The Island...indie prog! Do they have anything else along those lines?

Get the aforementioned Tain EP. It lacks the prog elements of the Landlord's Daughter movement of the Island, but it's still worthwhile.

I'd also recommend getting the Her Majesty record first, as it's definitely my favorite of theirs and has some classic tunes. You really couldn't go wrong with any of their first three records. They're all tremendously consistent.

LemonMelon said:
The Jam, anyone?

One of the "Best Of" albums.

Only because they moved from a punk based Kinks sound to an R&B type thingy. These provide nice overviews of their entire sound.

There are 3 or 4 "Best Of" albums out. It doesn't matter which you choose.

I'll gladly upload for ya. Cause Paul Weller is God.

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:

Cool! How do you find this stuff? :lol:

Just nose around some of the MP3 blogs. Let them take you on a journey.

I managed to find all The Jam remasters this weekend, thanks to your post putting the idea in my head.

Not really a "Where do I start" question more of a What do I get Next...

David Bowie...
I own Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust and a few Best Of's
But what do I buy Next I'm stuck between Aladdin Sane or Lets Dance?

Zoobaby14 said:
Not really a "Where do I start" question more of a What do I get Next...

David Bowie...
I own Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust and a few Best Of's
But what do I buy Next I'm stuck between Aladdin Sane or Lets Dance?

Aladdin Sane every time. The general consensus is that Let's Dance is lousy outside of the hits, so if you have a best of...kind of pointless.

Honestly, if you don't have Low yet, you should get that before anything else. I've rediscovered its brilliance recently. :drool:

I never got Aladdin Sane, and it's too late for me now, as I'm moving on, but I kinda wish I had. You've sorta got the trilogy thing going on, Hunky Dory-Ziggy-Aladdin Sane and Low-Heroes-Lodger.

But yes, get Low and Heroes.

Zoobaby14 said:
Looks like Low is the next one im buying. :up:

:up:

Wasn't a fan at first, but I knew I wouldn't be because I knew Bowie had released some weird shit, and Low would have some of it. Definitely a grower. Personally I think Speed of Life, Always Crashing in the Same Car and Subterraneans are the best three, with Warszawa, Weeping Wall and Art Decade the worst three.

Back
Top Bottom