The "Where do I start?" thread - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-23-2007, 02:49 AM   #31
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,789
Local Time: 11:37 PM
Re: Re: The "Where do I start?" thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver


It really depends. Without knowing your preferences, Stupid Dream is probably the best suggestion. It brings together most aspects of all of their eras. It's progressive, but within the context of quite focused songwriting.

However, if you like Animals/WYWH Pink Floyd a whole lot, then The Sky Moves Sideways is probably the place to be. In Absentia is often considered to be their masterpiece, but perhaps not the place to start unless you're receptive to a heavier influence approaching metal; that influence is essentially absent pre-In Absentia (Stupid Dream came two albums before it).
Thanks, Ax. I'm familiarizing myself with In Absentia first because I've grown quite attached to Blackest Eyes and Gravity Eyelids, but I'll try to pick up the 2 CD reissue of Stupid Dream as soon as possible.
__________________

__________________
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 12-23-2007, 03:18 AM   #32
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,007
Local Time: 06:37 PM
Re: Re: Re: The "Where do I start?" thread

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon
Thanks, Ax. I'm familiarizing myself with In Absentia first because I've grown quite attached to Blackest Eyes and Gravity Eyelids, but I'll try to pick up the 2 CD reissue of Stupid Dream as soon as possible.
Ah, well, if you're digging Blackest Eyes and Gravity Eyelids, then the metal influence that is present to varying degrees on In Absentia, Deadwing, and Fear Of A Blank Planet shouldn't be a problem for you. I'd say that the only heavier songs are Wedding Nails (In Absentia), Orchidia (Futile EP, In Absentia era), and parts of Anesthetize (FOABP).

Personally, my favourite of those three albums is Deadwing, but In Absentia deserves its reputation and FOABP was my album of 2007 until Alcest released Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde.
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
Old 12-23-2007, 01:16 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
elevation2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: corner of Badlands & Magnolia Mountain
Posts: 5,371
Local Time: 11:37 PM
Josh Ritter
__________________
elevation2u is offline  
Old 12-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #34
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,700
Local Time: 11:37 PM
The only Josh Ritter I have is The Animal Years, and it's really, really wonderful. I've heard really good things about his latest release as well, but haven't picked it up yet.

I don't know anything about his previous work - I would assume it's along the same lines as what I've heard. I really recommed The Animal Years.
__________________
corianderstem is offline  
Old 12-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26


For me, I'm getting into David Bowie, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Dave Matthews Band. Thoughts?
DMB isn't very popular on this forum so I'd better jump in here and address it. I think "Crash" is always a good place to start with DMB. But I actually prefer his solo work than his stuff with the band, mostly because I'm not a big fan of the jam band sound in general. My favorite is Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds Live at Luther College. It's just him and his guitar player in a wonderful acoustic set with some killer guitar-playin'. Just about everyone seems to like it. I also like "Some Devil," his solo record.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 12-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 03:37 AM
For Pearl Jam, to get their grunge roots, the height of their popularity, the essentials are Ten and Vitalogy, after that they become more esoteric, but for accessibility their self-titled is a go-to.
__________________
powerhour24 is offline  
Old 12-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 03:37 AM
Somebody tell me about Travis.
__________________
powerhour24 is offline  
Old 12-23-2007, 05:57 PM   #38
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,019
Local Time: 06:37 PM
Don't know much about Travis, but they have a few good songs like Sing, Why Does it Always Rain on Me and there's one other one I'm forgetting...
__________________
cobl04 is offline  
Old 12-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #39
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,332
Local Time: 11:37 PM
Tool?
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 12-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
The Who, Rolling Stones, Roger Waters, Bruce Sprinsgteen
The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking
Amused To Death
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 12-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,388
Local Time: 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking
Amused To Death
If you feel you need to pick up a Roger Waters album, get Flickering Flame, the greatest hits collection.

There's a lot of good stuff on the solo albums, but there's also a lot of pure shite too. Almost anything worth listening to is on Flickering Flame, so I recommend that instead.

And avoid Radio KAOS like the plague.
__________________
DaveC is offline  
Old 12-23-2007, 07:31 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC


If you feel you need to pick up a Roger Waters album, get Flickering Flame, the greatest hits collection.

There's a lot of good stuff on the solo albums, but there's also a lot of pure shite too. Almost anything worth listening to is on Flickering Flame, so I recommend that instead.

And avoid Radio KAOS like the plague.
I disagree completely. Flickering Flame doesn't have Amused To Death, It's A Miracle, What God Wants Part III, What God Wants Part II, The Bravery Of Being Out Of Range, Go Fishing, Sexual Revolution, Pros & Cons Pt. 10, Arabs With Knives And West German Skies, Running Shoes...

I think Flickering Flame is a rubbish compilation, actually. It's good that Each Small Candle is on there, but other than that... I can't think of anything good to say about it. Let's not even talk about the cover of Knockin' On Heaven's Door.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 12-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,388
Local Time: 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
Amused To Death, It's A Miracle, What God Wants Part III, What God Wants Part II, The Bravery Of Being Out Of Range
And The Tide is Turning.

So he ought to get Flickering Flame, and then download these songs. There really is no need to go out and pay dozens of dollars for these albums.

Quote:
I think Flickering Flame is a rubbish compilation, actually. It's good that Each Small Candle is on there, but other than that... I can't think of anything good to say about it. Let's not even talk about the cover of Knockin' On Heaven's Door. [/B]
Yeah, that cover is god-awful. So is Lost Boys Calling. He could have picked a better tracklisting, I agree. But as far as solo Rog goes, there's really not much (other than the above songs) that's worth listening to, much less pay good money for. It's not worth picking up three albums for the sake of the half-dozen songs that aren't on FF.
__________________
DaveC is offline  
Old 12-23-2007, 08:54 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life
 
GibsonGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,270
Local Time: 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC


And The Tide is Turning.

So he ought to get Flickering Flame, and then download these songs. There really is no need to go out and pay dozens of dollars for these albums.

Yeah, that cover is god-awful. So is Lost Boys Calling. He could have picked a better tracklisting, I agree. But as far as solo Rog goes, there's really not much (other than the above songs) that's worth listening to, much less pay good money for. It's not worth picking up three albums for the sake of the half-dozen songs that aren't on FF.
The Tide is Turning is on Flickering Flame.

And I dunno. I love Amused To Death and Pros & Cons, so I think they're well worth the money. I'm actually trying to track down a gold disc of the former. Nothing quite compares to blasting ATD on a good set of speakers. The Q-Sound engineering is amazing. I say you should always give an album a chance if you haven't heard it before. Just because you personally don't think it's worth buying any of Roger's solo albums doesn't mean to say COBL_04 will feel the same way. If I had started out on Flickering Flame, I actually think I would have been turned off from the idea of purchasing any more of the man's music, as Flickering Flame's not a good representation of his work at all.
__________________
GibsonGirl is offline  
Old 12-23-2007, 08:58 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,388
Local Time: 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl


The Tide is Turning is on Flickering Flame.

And I dunno. I love Amused To Death and Pros & Cons, so I think they're well worth the money. I'm actually trying to track down a gold disc of the former. Nothing quite compares to blasting ATD on a good set of speakers. The Q-Sound engineering is amazing. I say you should always give an album a chance if you haven't heard it before. Just because you personally don't think it's worth buying any of Roger's solo albums doesn't mean to say COBL_04 will feel the same way. If I had started out on Flickering Flame, I actually think I would have been turned off from the idea of purchasing any more of the man's music, as Flickering Flame's not a good representation of his work at all.
All good points, but I think you're a little biased.
__________________

__________________
DaveC is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com