The "What To Do In Europe" Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man2002

Blue Crack Addict
Ok.....So I'm planning very much ahead here, but i'm extremely bored at the moment, and can use some ideas anyway..

I'm off to europe in August (at this stage), as soon as I finish my computer course.
Planning on going for, at least a month, at the most two months :lol:..(hopefully two!)

I could use a list of places I should visit (i know there'll be far too many!)
Firstly, I'm planning on starting in London and go from there..so If you guys wanna recomend some cites/other places I should visit, go ahead.

I'm meeting up with a friend who just flew over yesterday.

What countries are you planning on visiting? Best thing to get to plan your trip - Michelin guides. :wink:

Don't go to Birmingham in the UK :wink: it's not pretty. Stratford is just down the road from there though, about 20 miles away. It's Shakespeare's birthplace and loads of tourists go there, nice little town.

Go to Barcelona too. It's a beautiful city although it's going to be VERY hot in august :yikes:

if you like architecture and churches, Belgium has the most beautiful church with exquisite stained glass ever - right across from the train station, definitely a must see.

A wonderful place to visit would be Andalucia, southern Spain. Visit cities such as Granada (The Al Hambra palace), Cordoba, Seville...
All wonderful and beautiful places.....

In England, Oxford or York are beautiful cities to visit.:up:

Tilli said:
...York are beautiful cities to visit.:up:

:applaud: ;)

1stepcloser said:
Don't go to Birmingham in the UK :wink: it's not pretty.

:lol: I'm sure Brum has a charm all of its own! :hug:

:hmm: I've not been but what about Edinburgh in Scotland? That's supposed to be incredibly beautiful. (Plus if you get the GNER train up from London you stop at York on the way!)

Oh, and if you do travel by train much in the UK avoid Virgin Trains AT ALL COSTS!!!

I loved Switzerland. The history in its Forest Cantons, the archives museum in Schwyz and the museum in Bern are all worth seeing. Don't forget the fantastic ice cream, either! It's served with whipped cream. Yum!

In England I would recommend Portsmouth, Winchester and Andover. Those were some of my favourites.

Definitely go to Ireland!! :D

Dublin and Belfast are fun cities. The North coast is beautiful. Cliffs of Moher are breathtaking.

I also loved Paris and Rotterdam. Lots to see and do there.

If you make it to Switzerland, try to go hiking in the Berner Oberland--we stayed in Murren for six days and hiked all over in the Lauterbrunnen Valley area. It's fantastic.

If you're going to be in Germany try to spend a couple of days chilling in Baden-Baden, awesome spa town. Munich and Berlin are both excellent also--polar opposites but both excellent in thier own way.

If you'll be in France you have to spend four or five days in Paris. Try not to have "museum panic" if you do. We had a much better time our second trip there, this fall, because we relaxed and hung out in the neighborhoods much more. Normandy is breathtaking also.

And last but certainly not least--try to save 10 days or so for Ireland. Especially at that time of year, it's great there. Dublin, Galway, Dingle, Doolin (near the Cliffs, great town for live music), Kinsale, Killarney. Oh yes, I have spent a lot of $$ in the pubs in Ireland. :)

Rick Steves' website has lots of great information--you should check it out, there are reccomendations for how to get the biggest bang for your buck within the timeframe you have...

Tilli said:
York are beautiful cities to visit.:up:

:yes:

TheQuiet1 said:

:hmm: I've not been but what about Edinburgh in Scotland? beautiful.

:up: Edinburgh is great!

Catlady said:
If you make it to Switzerland, try to go hiking in the Berner Oberland--we stayed in Murren for six days and hiked all over in the Lauterbrunnen Valley area. It's fantastic.

i've been around there, stayed in Gimmelwald. yep, that area is fantastic. :cool:

also in Switzerland, Luzern was cool.

i also agree with the Barcelona & Dublin reccomendations.

seeing catlady's post reminded me of Amsterdam, if you are a cat person be cure to check our the catboats - when we went we saw a boat that was house to many many many many cats, it was strange to hear of so many cats and we wondered where they all were, and then we found out, they were sheltered on boats, and we toured one...another fascinating place to visit. Especially if you like to eat things on sticks..you'd be surprised what you can find on a stick. :lol:

Prague, Berlin, and Munich are all totally awesome cities. I also recommend Switzerland.

Prague is great because they're still on the Czech Crown, so the currency is much cheaper to exchange. Go now because in 2010 they go to the Euro!

My son went to Europe with EF Tours and a group from his school when he was 14, he had the best time and wants to go back. His pictures were amazing of Spain, Portugal, France, Italy and Greece. I would LOVE to go! So much history and the architecture is amazing!

Hey, go to Italy!! It's april madness time here and it's also election time so we're having all lots of fun, really!!!:wink: :wink:

:|

jokes apart, it really worth a visit to Italy.
Overall a visit to my neoromanic-restroom does...:wink:

that is really cool, I just went last year from June through August, now where are you staying? if it´s going to be hostels I would definetly recommend booking in advance, we didn't do that and in many cities we lost time looking for places to stay. anyway my intinerary was something like this

-Barcelona (my sister lives there but before we started our trip I stayed there for a week, went to Costa Brava)

-London (stayed little more than a week due to Live8 only got to be in Liverpool originally wanted to go to Ireland and Scottland but a week in London was really expensive for our budget)

-Paris (flew from London and stayed there 4 days, I would recommend staying a bit longer since there's a lot to see)

-Belguim (three days but with 2 so you can go to one of the towns will be enough)

-Amsterdam (definetly a really cool place we stayed 4 days, and wanted to stay more but Amsterdam is quite a dangerous place in a good way :wink:)

-Berlin (great place but we were only here for 2 days, stay more if you can there is a lot to see and visit)

-Kracow, Poland (amazing place, the most exotic beautiful women I've ever seen, we stayed 4 days and we went to Auschwitz which is about a couple of hours at the most from kracow)

...ok I'm rambling, here is the rest of the list

-Budapest

-Prague

-Vienna

-Venice

-Florence

-Rome

-Napoles, Pompeii, and Vesubuis

and made our way back through all Italyl, French Coast and back to Barcelona, and all I can say is this is the trip I will never and well worth every penny

Wow thanks for all the info guys.

SunBloc said:
What countries are you planning on visiting? Best thing to get to plan your trip - Michelin guides. :wink:

At this stage, England, Scotland and Ireland. I'd like to Go to Italy as well...would also like to add Netherlands and France. I guess i'll work it all out later. I may need 3 months to stay over there :lol:

Mofo said:
that is really cool, I just went last year from June through August, now where are you staying? if it´s going to be hostels I would definetly recommend booking in advance, we didn't do that and in many cities we lost time looking for places to stay. anyway my intinerary was something like this

Well My friends got family throughout Europe, so hopefully I may get some free accomadation (well of course i'd be willing to pay a little for having me stay there :))

1stepcloser said:
Don't go to Birmingham in the UK :wink: it's not pretty. Stratford is just down the road from there though, about 20 miles away. It's Shakespeare's birthplace and loads of tourists go there, nice little town.

Dont go to Stratford cos its full of tourists,especially American and Japanese ones.

That's what i always ask myself! :shrug: I never understand why you get all these people moaning about how there city has lots of so called tourists in certain areas? :huh: you ought to be proud&happy that you live somewhere people from other countries want to come&see :happy: I know it can be a pain some of the time if you end up having to queue for ages to get into an attraction, but there's a queue for a reason remember!

It's 'cos so many people want to see so many great places! It's unavoidable, i'm afraid :wink:

the rockin edge said:

i assume so, not sure when exactly. although i believe spain normally starts in sept where as england & most leagues (i think) start in august.

:hyper: :hmm: If I can afford it, i'm gonna look into it.

Back
Top Bottom