the War Profiteer and the $10 million Bat Mitzvah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know what is really sick?

Read the comments after the article. Some extremely vicious, bigoted people making comments. Dumb fucks.

Yikes! Sorry about not reading the post article comments before posting. Those are really terrible.:(

An ethnic or religious slur is unfortunate, but it's certainly not as obscene as some DOUCHEBAG spending $10 million on his daughter's Bat Mitzvah. It's really hard not to have "Jewish American Princess" flashing in your head when you read this article. It's things like this that undo all the work trying to erase stereotypes.

If you have that much money to waste, how about donating it to charity in your daughter's name? That would be a true "mitzvah", which in Hebrew means something akin to a good dead. That party sounds like anything but. Fleetwood Mac, Don Henley, 50 Cent, Tom Petty, Kenny G--all the artists that took money to play at this private affair--should all be ashamed of themselves.

The fact that the guy who paid for all this manufactures subpar armor for the military adds just another layer of shamefulness to the whole thing. These people should be tarred and feathered, at LEAST. Or dropped off in the middle of an Iraqi battlefied wearing the crap they make our troops risk their lives in.

lazarus said:
That party sounds like anything but. Fleetwood Mac, Don Henley, 50 Cent, Tom Petty, Kenny G--all the artists that took money to play at this private affair--should all be ashamed of themselves.

I agree that the money could have been donated. But why should the artists alienate someone who can finance all this... when the record business has a long tradition of bar mitzvahs.

One of the legends of the music industry, Clive Davis, charged CBS $40,000 for his son´s bar mitzvah party (and had to leave CBS for that). Jac Holzman founded Elektra Records with $600 of bar mitzvah money.

The industry is so much about who´s knowing who. I would definitely play any bar mitzvah for every rich entrepreneur in the world.

lazarus said:
An ethnic or religious slur is unfortunate, but it's certainly not as obscene as some DOUCHEBAG spending $10 million on his daughter's Bat Mitzvah. It's really hard not to have "Jewish American Princess" flashing in your head when you read this article. It's things like this that undo all the work trying to erase stereotypes.

If you have that much money to waste, how about donating it to charity in your daughter's name? That would be a true "mitzvah", which in Hebrew means something akin to a good dead. That party sounds like anything but. Fleetwood Mac, Don Henley, 50 Cent, Tom Petty, Kenny G--all the artists that took money to play at this private affair--should all be ashamed of themselves.

The fact that the guy who paid for all this manufactures subpar armor for the military adds just another layer of shamefulness to the whole thing. These people should be tarred and feathered, at LEAST. Or dropped off in the middle of an Iraqi battlefied wearing the crap they make our troops risk their lives in.

Did you read any of the comments? :eyebrow:

And isn't what the father did just "the American way?" People bitch about the money he made, and they bitch about the shoddy products he sold, but isn't whoever's buying the damned stuff for the military supposed to make sure the stuff is good quailty and fairly priced before giving him the contract? Where is your contempt for those people? If the quality of the product isn't up to par, it should never have been purchased in the first place. A shitload of people are making tons of money off this war.

I actually have no problem at all with what he chooses to do with his money (although I do think it's unfortunate his daughter had to have bad music at her party). How many of you defend Bono's use of his money? Shouldn't he put all his money where his mouth is?

indra said:

Did you read any of the comments? :eyebrow:

And isn't what the father did just "the American way?" People bitch about the money he made, and they bitch about the shoddy products he sold, but isn't whoever's buying the damned stuff for the military supposed to make sure the stuff is good quailty and fairly priced before giving him the contract? Where is your contempt for those people? If the quality of the product isn't up to par, it should never have been purchased in the first place. A shitload of people are making tons of money off this war.

I actually have no problem at all with what he chooses to do with his money (although I do think it's unfortunate his daughter had to have bad music at her party). How many of you defend Bono's use of his money? Shouldn't he put all his money where his mouth is?

Believe me, I have contempt for EVERYONE involved with this war. It's no surprise that the jackals in the U.S. government and their corporate cronies are poison. But the antics of this American private citizen certainly falls under the "this is why they hate us" category. It represents everything that's wrong with our culture, where people let their kids think it's okay to throw around money on thing like this, or where artists will compromise their integrity to act as performing monkeys for a mogul.

Bono certainly lives a nice life. He also spends a hell of a lot of his free time (much more valuable than money) doing good deeds. To compare him to this scumbag is a bit of a stretch.

You let me know when Bono throws a party like that for one of his kids. They may be spoiled to a certain extent, but I couldn't see it happening.

Back
Top Bottom