The Walking Dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In episode four of The Walking Dead, we met some male nurses and old people, endured the sneaking suspicion that Merle is still out there somewhere, and protected the campsite from zombie attack. During the melee, this zombie caught a bit of bad luck to the face.

Click to see an animated gif!

22_twdkotw_short.gif

Z K of the W

I was shouting at the TV "You better just kill her and get it over with!!"

:crack:

i thought it was the weakest show of the series. the beginning was obviously trying to set up the emotion for later, but seemed like filler to me.

and her crying over the bitten sister.....seemed to go on too long.

And why wasn't someone on post to keep an eye out for the zombies? THey just had one find it's way up to the camp site, and they all sit around a fire thinking no more would show?

Still, i think it's a good show and i'm interested in more.

One of the better episodes last night.

The campsite thing was old before it began.

I am glad they moved out.

After next weekend's season finale, the show will vanish until fall 2011.

The ratings for "The Walking Dead's" just-ended first season finale garnered 6 million viewers,

according to the network, and it received the highest ratings of any basic cable show, ever, in the all-important 18-49 demographic.

To put those numbers into perspective, October's season

finale of "Mad Men" had an audience of 2.44 million,

according to TVbytheNumbers.com.

(On the other hand, that 18-49 number is very important, because the New York Post reported in 2007 that a post-"High School Musical 2" episode of "Hannah Montana," with much of its audience under 18, averaged 10.7 million viewers.)

As hot as "The Walking Dead" is, it's not quite to the level of some episodes of "The Sopranos" final season, which on two occasions had around 13 million viewers.

Time to cancel Mad Men?

I have very mixed feelings on the series. The Walking Dead is the one and only comic series I've ever followed in my life, and I've purchased all the paperback compilations each and every time they come out. The first few episodes (particularly the debut), were quite true to the overall story of the source material. I thought these episodes were fantastic, and didn't at all mind the various changes they threw in. In fact, I welcomed the changes, as it still kept someone who "knew what was going to happen" on their toes.

Unfortunately, they quickly threw a bunch of completely new plot points in in further episodes, and I felt the more they strayed from the source material, the weaker the show felt. I'm not saying that I wanted it to be 100% the same, I just haven't been particularly impressed with the characters or storyline they've decided to throw in. I particularly disliked this most recent episode (the first entirely "made up" episode so far), as typically the #1 rule in any sort of "horror" story is never explain what's happening. It also particularly threw a kink into what is actually "supposed" to happen later on.

That all said, I've still enjoyed it. I'm not sure if it's just the "zombie fanboyism" inside me that would never let me dislike it. I've still been a little disappointed that it hasn't lived up to what it could and should have been, and I'm completely disheartened that the major basic underlying theme of the series has almost not even been hinted at yet. I'm actually pretty happy and positive about the choice to dump the writers, as maybe that will bring some of the changes I'd like to see.

Regardless of my own feelings, I'm glad it's been successful, and glad others are enjoying it.

There's way too many useless characters with no depth to them.

That's one of the most unfortunate things. At this point of the story in the books, you actually CARE about everyone. I barely even feel like I care about Rick, let alone anyone else on the show. Hopefully they're actually still going to introduce some of the much more interesting characters on the show, it would suck if we never saw them.

I also am saddened they wussed out and made Andrea far older than she should be, and Carl as well. Sorta throws the whole "When the world as you know it is destroyed, none of the old rules apply" mentality and theme of the series.

Complaint after complaint aside, I'll likely still buy the series on Blu-Ray and continue to watch episode after episode, as it's still awesome something like this is a tv series on basic cable.

Well, finally caught the finale. But with any other tv show based on a book/movies, It's almost always not completely true to the book for various reasons the writers venture off in various directions. I wonder if they actually stuck strictly to the series and or book if it would work and or be popular enough to remain on tv with decent ratings. I think they gear these shows to the average tv viewer is unaware that show is based on a book or comics.

I don't know.. just a thought. :shrug:

My criticisms are from a person who has never read the comics. I think it's underachieving so far due to poor writing.

I've never read the comics.. but I was really into the first few episodes vs. the later episodes. In any case, I look forward to the next season.

I still haven't watched the finale. I'll get around to it one of these days. :reject:

I would have watched it Monday, but Comcast swapped out my modem Monday morning, and I didn't realize I'd lose everything that was on my DVR, which included The Walking Dead. So it's on my computer instead now, which means it takes me longer to get around to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom