The Village

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
***WARNING - SPOILERS***

So how do you rate this film compared to Shymalan's 3 other films - The 6th Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs?

I think The 6th Sense was completely brilliant, Signs gave me the heebie-jeebies for most of the movie, Unbreakable was just dumb. Not entirely decided on The Village, but definitely not better than 6th Sense or Signs.

I didn't really anticipate the 'modern-day' twist, but I *was* wondering at the beginning of the movie how Shymalan was going to make his cameo in an 1800's village. Once he did the full camera shot on the creature to show they were 'real', I suspected very quickly that it was Adrien Brody.

I'm so proud of myself - I actually went to see this all by myself (long story) and only jumped like an idiot once, when the creature walked under the watchtower in the first part of the movie :wink:

There's gotta be somebody else out there who saw it on opening night, I would presume, Mr. BAW....

Interesting - just read that the blind girl from the movie, Bryce Dallas Howard, is Ron Howard's daughter :hmm: She did a great job :up:

My friend said that the previews were misleading because this movie actually isn't scary at all. What do you think? I wanted to go see it so I could get all creeped out.

AICN blew the ending for me six months ago. :| :sigh:

I want to see it, but I can't imagine it will have a strong effect on me.

"Signs" scared the living :censored: out of me and I couldn't sleep for two weeks straight!

I thought it was fantastic. The symbolism/meaning behind the movie is just great :up: I've seriously been thinking about it since I saw it this afternoon, I loved it. I really liked how the movie ends up being completely different than what you expect it to be.

That being said, I think it will be like Unbreakable. It will either be peoples' favorite, or least favorite of his. How I rank his movies presently:

1. Unbreakable
2. The Village (maybe when I see it more, it will move up)
3. Sixth Sense
4. Signs

He's probably my favorite 'present' director, great stuff.

I agree-the symbolism is fantastic. I think, like all of his movies, you bring your own biases as to what it means. I think it also could be interpreted politically-what about "Walker"-is that just accidental? :eyebrow: A few parts really scared me-it's being marketed as a scary movie, but I think they have to do that to hide the twist.

Bryce Dallas Howard is just amazing-I couldn't take my eyes off of her. She's so natural and believable. I'd rank her right up there w/ every one of the top actresses.

Sixth Sense is still my favorite-my rank would be

Sixth Sense
The Village
Signs
Unbreakable

I sae it opening night in the THX theater :drool: I LOVED it! :yes: I didn't think it was going to be a scary horror movie even though that's kinda how it was marketed; same thing happened with Shymalan's other films. They always have some deeper theme to them.

And I love how he's always in his movies (and usually the worst actor!).

EDIT: as for Unbreakable, I think the problem there was again, peoples' expectations. I really liked that one too, but the other three are still better.

Last edited:
I dunno...I';ve heard so many bad thngs now, both from critics and people on other message boards

I was so looking forward to seeing this, but now I don't know

Sounds like an interesting concept with the village...but apparently the payoff doesn't work, or is a let down. Every review mentioned that

anyway, I think this is Eberts best review in a while..heh
http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/2004/07/073006.html

Eventually the secret of Those, etc., is revealed. To call it an anticlimax would be an insult not only to climaxes but to prefixes. It's a crummy secret, about one step up the ladder of narrative originality from It Was All a Dream. It's so witless, in fact, that when we do discover the secret, we want to rewind the film so we don't know the secret anymore.

And then keep on rewinding, and rewinding, until we're back at the beginning, and can get up from our seats and walk backward out of the theater and go down the up escalator and watch the money spring from the cash register into our pockets.

--------

but then again, Ebert tends to follow movie theory over entertainment value. I'll probably go see it despite all the horrible reviews

PS> I haven't read any spoilers yet, so don't ruin it for me

Last edited:
i guessed the ending about 30 seconds into the movie.

i think miss howard was the best thing in the movie.

it would have been better as a half hour twilight zone.

6th sense is the best by night

Basstrap said:
I dunno...I';ve heard so many bad thngs now, both from critics and people on other message boards

Read Peter Travers review on Rollingstone. Honestly though, I think movies are a lot like music in that it all comes down to personal taste. I try to not go into any movie with any expectation other than the desire to be entertained. You wont be disappointed if you see The Village with that desire.

I haven't seen them all so I can't vote, but wasn't that the DUMBEST ending! Bah, what a disappointment :down: :tsk:

The postings on rottentomatoes.com are all over the place. Some people loved this movie, others hated it with a passion. I think it sounds very interesting and thought-provoking.

I enjoyed Signs--it scared the heck out of me! And the next day, when I was bringing laundry to the cleaners, I had quite a flashback to it. The TV at the laundermat had what obviously was NASA on the screen, and I thought of similar scenes in the movie--I almost freaked out! But it turned out that the Columbia space shuttle had broken apart. :sad:

The ALiens looked stupid though, I don't think they should have ever shown them..just pull a blaire witch

and, yeah, Gladiatior was awesome.

I saw it Saturday. It sucked. It's very slow. Then the twist comes. M Knight Shamalamadingdong appears to be a one trick pony with the whole twist thing in his pictures.

well, I saw it tonight.

There are criticisms I agree with...but on the whole I thought it was a pretty good movie. It's Night's most original and daring movie to date.

the ending wasn't predictable at all. OK, the contents of the box was a let down, but that wasn't the payoff.

Spoiler!:

That there is a village, in the midst of the 21st century, living in some early modern period was something I wan't expecting. The Walker family obviously arranged this and set up a security company on the outside (Walker Security) so that they could live undisturbed in a wildlife preserve.

I just thought it was so cool, but I agree that it maybe would have worked better as a short 1 hour twilight zone episode.

the mood was quiet and solemn. the acting usually subtle and well done. I didn't get the "slow" thing at all.

The dialogue was a little clunky at times, but in general it added to the idea that these people have really immersed themselves in another era, they just didn't get the dialect quiet right!

On the whole, I give the movie a 6.5/10

Basstrap said:
The Walker family obviously arranged this and set up a security company on the outside (Walker Security) so that they could live undisturbed in a wildlife preserve.

I get it now! I mean, I noticed the "Walker" on the hat, but I couldn't figure out the significance.

I just saw it last night...I had my hands over my face for the first hour.(I'm not good with scary movies, but I had to see this)
I really liked it.
The director was on Jay Leno or Letterman a few weeks ago and said it was originally rated "R". All he had to do to knock it down to "PG 13" was to change one sound effect.
He wouldn't say what scene it was. Now I'm wondering what sound could have been that bad, and what it was changed to.
Any ideas?

Mrs.Clayton said:
Now I'm wondering what sound could have been that bad, and what it was changed to.
Any ideas?

Yeah, my little sis said the same thing. Maybe when the girl screams? Hmmm...

umm... i don't know. i really like the village, and so did my friend that went with me. but my brother, his girlfriend, and his friend had nothing but bad things to say about it (they're not v. smart though, so what am i going to do... ::sigh::)
somewhere about a year ago i read that it really is in modern times and whatnot, but i just can't FIGURE OUT WHERE. so i already knew the whole time. dang, it was still good.

signs
the village
the sixth sense
unbreakable

peace, love & bad lemon,
toni

...is the acropolis crumbling?

heh, I don't think I have *ever* been so conflicted about a movie before. I mean, I was disappointed, obviously (and who wouldn't with those advertisements?!), but I thought that it was well-directed, well-acted, and overall, a well put together film. I think I'm going to have to see it again before making a final judgement :drunk:

Back
Top Bottom