The Village - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2004, 11:07 PM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 08:07 AM
Anyone who 'thinks' at all could decifer that plot twist. I knew it was coming, and I swear several stories have already been written using similar plots.

It was a good movie; not a great film. The little nuances were so well-crafted that I have the same sensation I had after Night's last three films; I want to see it again. The dialogue appeared out of character considering the time period, but once we're told of the 'elders' origins, it suddenly made sense why everyone talked in weird axioms and poetic rhymes. After all, the leaders of the town were intellectuals who had been amersed in pop culture long enough for it to affect their linguistics.

I also agree that the marketing was more than a tad misleading. I expected more thrills to couple with the plotlines, which would be undoubtedly cerebral, but it was nothing more than a novella story with a few cheap thrills.

I'd give 7 out of 10

As for my list, in order from best to worst...

1) The Sixth Sense
2) Signs
3) The Village
4) Unbreakable

Old 08-15-2004, 10:28 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Danospano
Anyone who 'thinks' at all could decifer that plot twist.
That's kind of mean, Dano. I am a "thinker" by all accounts, but I honestly didn't see the present day twist. As an aside, I guessed "The Sixth Sense" 10 mins into that movie.

Back to what BLS said -- are you saying that you believe Adrien Brody was the creature the entire time - or just at the end? What my boyfriend and I came to believe was that since he was the only person "killed" by the creature, it was because he was the "village idiot" and was killed as the creature because he was trying to scare Ivy enough for her to come home or was just a moron.

It was also my understanding that one of the Elders was the creature at any given time, and not Noah Percy (Brody).

What I didn't understand was why all of the sudden the "border was breached" after all those years (as the narrative put it). What was the impetus? Why did the Elders find it necessary to skin the animals - was it just because Lucius wanted to go to the towns? I wasn't clear on why all the drama started in the first place.

Old 08-16-2004, 02:59 AM   #33
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:07 PM
GO watch AvP! this movie kicks arsss!
go watch alien vs predator!
Old 08-17-2004, 05:35 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Danospano
Anyone who 'thinks' at all could decifer that plot twist. I knew it was coming, and I swear several stories have already been written using similar plots.

Good for you, oh supreme thinking being I think a lot of people would prefer to just sit back and watch a movie without constantly trying to figure out the plot and all the twists.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:37 AM   #35
Refugee

True. I also lose myself in movies, so I understand why we get suckered into these plot twists.

The reason I said what I said was because it was a given that there would be a twist ending--- as mentioned, all of his films have them. Also, all of the signs were evident before the halfway point of the film. I agree that you're not less supreme to my being , but I'd also venture to guess you weren't thinking during the film, since you just stated that you tend not to during jolts to the cineplex.

It wasn't meant to be a personal jab at anyone, either.

Smile...it's free
Old 08-18-2004, 08:38 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:07 PM
pfff

its medioka
Old 08-19-2004, 10:15 PM   #37
New Yorker

So what were the symbols/ artsy moments/ metaphors? In terms of cinematography, I thought the intro was awesome in which Shalayman has the camera pan through/ above the branches creating an eerie effect. The Brody moment with Phoenix was cool too.

I like Shalayman movies. I liked Signs best with Unbreakable 2nd best. Sixth Sense would be up there but I really hated the cheesiness of the ending (i.e. Willis giving his little speech). Still all those movies were entertaining. They all had "twists" but Signs' twist actually wasn't twist as in a surprise but more of device to push Night's themes in the movie which is why I really loved Signs.

The Village wasn't all that great to me and a little slow/ boring. I think I was disappointed with the movie The Village b/c I figured out the "twist" half way through and mebbe I spent too much time trying to figure out the twist. William Hurt said they re-did the ending of the movie and he thought hte old ending was better. Wonder what the old ending was.

In the end, if Shalayman keeps making these movies with surprise endings, I'm gonna have to stop reading reviews, spoilers, etc. b/c they just distract from the overall enjoyment of the movies he makes. Even movie reviews reveal too much even when they try not too.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:20 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

It would've been great if the monsters were real.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:22 PM   #39
New Yorker

Thas what I thought too...
Old 08-22-2004, 12:19 AM   #40
Babyface

Local Time: 07:07 AM
I thought 'The Village' was pretty lame. Like most of the people that have replied here, I predicted the twist about 30 minutes in. With that little bit said, I have come to the conclusion that M. Night Shamalayan or however you spell it is extremely full of himself and his ideas for movies. Who else in the movie business has been pretentious enough to put his name in front of his movie's? Coppolla and Scorsese never did it. Who does this guy think that he is?

My ranking of his movies goes:

1. Unbreakable (I liked this one quite a bit)
2. The Sixth Sense
3. Signs
4. The Village.

Oh and yeah, Gladiator sucked. That movie just flat out robbed Traffic of the best picture a few years back.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:29 AM   #41
The Fly

I wouldn't like the monsters to be real. I mean, it's so easy to make a horror film around some fearsome creature eating people alive etc., but it doesn't scare me at all. It only makes me think 'Oh, nice special effects'. What's far more scary is the anticipation of the unknown, when you just wait for something bad to happen. And I don't think HelloAngel that it was really one of the Elders skinning the animals. I rather think it must have been Noah.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:29 AM   #42
Refugee

i saw the movie and i liked it..but one thing that wouldnt have made sense...if it was just that group of "elders" who started the place then where did that large population of people come from? they couldnt have made all those kids on thier own..and there were other adults there.
?????
Old 08-22-2004, 11:10 AM   #43
The Fly

I guess the Elders were the founders of the village who simply encouraged some other people they knew to join them.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:59 PM   #44
Refugee

I thought it was pretty cool. However, I knew what the twist was before entering the cinema, and had I not known the twist already I may not have enjoyed it as before. I think it does actually improve on repeated viewings. Quite a cool picture all in all.

Ant.

Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'