The Verve are getting back together!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Space And Time = best Verve song ever, closely followed by A New Decade.

To be honest, the first thought that went through my head when I heard this news was not anything along the lines of "hooray", but rather "please don't suck!" Reunions are always so hit and miss. Hopefully the suckiness of Ashcroft's solo material won't carry over to any Verve material. McCabe's presence should at least make this worthwhile.

SHUT UP

Really??

SHUT UP!!

Really??????!! :drool::hyper:

No really.. you're lying.. no way.. omgomgomg.. :faint:

*head explodes* kthxbye..

LJT said:
I don't like any of his solo albums, but a tune by UNKLE called Lonely Souls is excellent featuring Mr Ashcroft on vocals.

UNKLE's Be There with the great Ian Brown on vocals is especially decent also.

I have to say, I love Ashcroft's solo stuff, but new Verve material would be......... I'll get back to you on that, still putting the pieces of my head back together.. :drool:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

check out some of his live solo shows, they're nice...

:yes:

The pitchfork review of his last solo effort just about made me cry. As I recall they gave it something like a 2. No one with a voice like that ever deserves a 2, no matter how weak the songs might be. Not that I give a crap what pitchfork says but the review was quite extraordinary in its badness.

The Verve were amazing and I personally can't wait to hear what they do next.

Pitchfork is full of shit though. i never take their reviews seriously. Ashcroft probably wasn't "indie" enough for them, and Pitchfork loves crappy vocals.

The real question is, how long into the forthcoming tour will Nick McCabe have another nervous breakdown and leave the group?

I was really upset the last time he left the band, because I felt they were really the only band that could have reached a U2 level of popularity. They were that good live; like Bono, Ashcroft was a man possessed when he was onstage, and their shows had a gospel church like vibe because of it. I saw them in Boston in a small club for Urban Hymns and I was absolutely blown away.

If they recapture half of their former power, they will be a force to be reckoned with, and will easily outshine soulless pretenders like Coldplay.

Best news I've heard all year.

yeah, it'll be interesting to see McCabe and Ashcroft together again. Hopefully they stop hating each other long enough to make some more brilliant music.

Ashcroft on stage is amazing.. I have yet to witness it in person :drool: And his voice :love: Can't flippin' wait..

yertle-the-turtle said:
To all intents and purposes, if we cast aside the whole 'one man maketh not a band' rule, then Nick McCabe IS the Verve, not Richard Ashcroft.

To a point, yep, but NOBODY could deliver those songs like Ashcroft.

Fantastic news either way.
Hellz yeah :up:

Rockers the Verve reunite
Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:52PM BST

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Silent since 1999, rock act the Verve is reuniting for a new album and fall live dates.

According to a post on the group's newly launched Web site (http://www.theverve.tv/), Richard Ashcroft, Nick McCabe, Simon Jones and Pete Salisbury were in a London studio last week laying down tracks for the album, which will be completed in the fall.

The Verve will then return to the stage for six U.K. shows in November: November 2-3 at Glasgow's Academy, November 5-6 at Blackpool's Empress Ballroom and November 8-9 at London's Roundhouse. It appears guitarist/keyboardist Simon Tong, who was last heard from in the Good, the Bad and the Queen, is sitting out the reunion.

The Verve rose to fame internationally in the early '90s with a sound psychedelic enough for adventurous listeners but palatable to commercial radio as well. Internal tensions finally splintered the band in the wake of 1997's U.S. breakthrough "Urban Hymns," which has sold 1.34 million copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan, and spawned the megahit "Bitter Sweet Symphony."

Ashcroft has since released three solo albums but has frequently played Verve songs in his live sets.

Reuters/Billboard

Wow, I'm blown away after reading this. Awesome news!

StoneRoses said:

Ian Brown is the greatest singer/frontman of all time, even greater than Bono!

and that track Be There is a quality tune.

You, my friend, are offically the toppest bloke on this forum thing.

If only for your name alone.

Back
Top Bottom