the verve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrBrau1 said:

Don't forget to give it up for The Verve's sheer stupidity. That's as much to blame as Jagger/Richards. They were warned, and went ahead anyway, using a string line that can hardly be heard in the tune, and could have simply been played on a keyboard thus avoidiung the whole mess.

If you choose to go out in the rain w/o an umbrella, don't complain when you get wet.

End result, The Verve did it to themselves.

It still doesn't make what Jagger and Richards did right. What the hell would they do that for? They basically spit in the face of music by selling such an amazing piece to Nike.

I hope Jagger was able to buy plenty of votox and plastic surgery with all that money...

What a lousy f#%&

the verve were brilliant!! i was lucky enough to see their last ever concert at slane, and it will go down as one of my finest concert memorys!!

Sleep Over Jack said:
The 2nd album is better than Urban Hymns, really densely layered and inspiring, not to mention better songwriting overall, in my opinion.

I don't need much convincing. I know I need to own this and I can't wait to pick it up.

The Rolling Stones thing sucks. Maybe The Verve were stupid, but the Stones could have taken the high road and been generous about it.

I don't think Keith and Mick had much control over the situation. They are now affiliated with Virgin (have been for almost 35 years) but ABKCO has the rights to the song The Verve supposedly stole from. ABKCO went after The Verve and The Rolling Stones hardly even talk to ABKCO.

I went to buy A Northern Soul during lunch and they didn't have it. :grumpy: And I almost complained that The Verve Pipe do not belong in The Verve section but I think I've done enough complaining about incompetence in this town for one day (don't ask).

joyfulgirl said:
I went to buy A Northern Soul during lunch and they didn't have it. :grumpy: And I almost complained that The Verve Pipe do not belong in The Verve section but I think I've done enough complaining about incompetence in this town for one day (don't ask).

You're on my ICDE list. I'll include copies of their 1st (A Storm In Heaven) and 2nd (A Northern Soul) when I send the mix.

You just have to promise to buy the actual albums if ya like them. :wink:

MrBrau1 said:

You're on my ICDE list. I'll include copies of their 1st (A Storm In Heaven) and 2nd (A Northern Soul) when I send the mix.

You just have to promise to buy the actual albums if ya like them. :wink:

:hyper:

I always buy the albums, as HeartlandGirl and meggie can attest.

Needle_Chill said:
It still doesn't make what Jagger and Richards did right. What the hell would they do that for? They basically spit in the face of music by selling such an amazing piece to Nike.
And then they got in trouble for "Anybody Seen My Baby?" the next year, for ripping off, of all people, k.d. lang. They couldn't even write that shitty song themselves. Instant karma.

I remember watching some dopey thing on VH1 that had Keith Richards himself complaining about the Verve "ripping him off." So don't try to blame his record company for it. He's a dick too.

The annoying thing is that rock and roll is so inherently derivative. The Stones in particular ripped off a huge amount of people, and God bless 'em for it, but what a bunch of hypocrites to go after another band for it.

And it's a string part they didn't even really write, it's just based on a song of theirs. So this couldn't be about anything other than money or spite.

From the Wikipedia's page on Noel Gallagher: "When it was suggested that Oasis take legal action against pop band Hear'Say for their first single's uncanny similarity to All Around The World, Noel simply laughed at the hypocrisy of such an act." Even Noel Gallagher isn't that big of an asshole.

The band was dumb to use the sample without permission, but Jagger/Richards are still douches.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom