The verdict on Pete Yorn...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seeing that I'm a huge Pete Yorn fan, I really won't be able say anything constructive in this thread towards most of you and your opinions. So I'm just going to keep my mouth shut and agree to disagree with those of you who weren't impressed by him.

diamond said:
Digi-
that reviewer stole my words..:angry::up:--

In a way, Yorn is everything that is wrong with contemporary rock and pop. The epitome of a mediocre (but carefully packaged) soulful white boy who looks good in publicity photos, he represents something very bad and very annoying about the relationship between labels and the rock writers who make careers of regurgitating press releases

thanks
Digi:up:

DB9

I'm not sure why this writer is so hostile to Pete Yorn. He doesn't do that much for me personally, but I don't find him nearly as annoying as some other young male singer-songwriter types I could name (cough, cough, cough, John Mayer, cough, cough, cough).

Last edited:
ok look, im sorry.
really sorry.:wink:
im sorry to everyone i said little petey yorn sucks live:angry:

thank u
diamond
bruno.
:dance::adam:

Last edited:
you certainly have captured the essence of tact, eh diamond?

i like him. i'll agree with nicole on this one and just disagree with you guys.

all i want to say is: there are 2 ways of stating an opinion...1) i didn't like pete live, and i'm not too impressed 2) the rude way

some people seem to forget that the way something is said can offend. you can have your opinion, just be considerate to the rest of us, please.

thank you.

diamond said:
Its ok Clarity:hug:

wait a sec, diamond.... you're telling her it's OK that she wants to keep her mouth shut to avoid conflict, and yet you're egging her on! that's not very tactful, really.

Like stories said, there's a tactful way to express an opinion and there's just being plain mean.

Personally, I've seen more mean than I've seen tact in this thread. Very sad, indeed. How would you like it if some shmuck came in from a c*r*e*e*d board and said U2 sucks monkey balls and you all are bunch of pansies for liking their music? You'd be damned straight you'd go after the jugular on that comment. So, why does it make it OK for you to do the same?

I don't go into other boards or other people's threads and say how much I think so and so sucks when I know for a fact there are people who enjoy that person's music. To each his own, I say. But show some tact and some respect.

Moonie :|

Moonie-
u know me i was playing only:wink:

MonkeyBalls? aw shucks:wink::wave:

This is not an anti Pete Yorn thread.

This is only a discussion.
Most ppl take my word for Gospel though.:wave:

DB9:)

How does one reply to db9 without getting a sarcastic reply anyway? What higher standards are those? We both listen to U2? So are you coming down to my level for that? I don't appreciate that comment at all, wink smiley or not.

This thread needs to become something more than an argument between the pro-Yorn and anti-Yorn factions, or it will be closed.

Everyone please stay tactful. Diamond, please keep in mind that, as stories pointed out, there are "nice" and "not-nice" ways of stating an opinion. The "higher standards" statement was kind of condesending. And everyone, keep in mind that at the end of the day, he's a dude with a guitar. Just like Bono. Except not so much with the guitar in Bono's case...well, you know what I mean. ;)

Oh, and for anyone who didn't know, I'm a mod in here now, so I'm not just yelling at people randomly. :)

:angry::kiss:
Reread my comments.
I said he is a talented studio musician, however he isnt the best live show after seeing many different artists perform for 3 decades.

Are we clear?:sexywink:

thank u-

:hug:

DB9
:angry:

Last edited:
Pete Yorn-One of the best artists I've heard in the past few years, because he's "bland". Other artists I like(Radiohead, Sigor Ros, Lips) can be a bit grating after long periods of time w/ their self indulgence and extreme head music. Sometimes, it's nice to hear someone who goes straight for the heart.

ok well my two cents on this. I have seen Pete Yorn 4 times. My bosses brother manages his band. I have been a fan for about 2.5 years or so.

Now here are my thoughts M4TMA - was a great album. I enjoy it a lot. I do like a chunk of the stuff on the new album, I do not think it is nearly as good. I tend to think a lot of the songs are about the same sort of thing as the those on M4TMA. That is fine it is Pete's album and he is entitled to write what he wants. I also think that burrito is lyrically one of the dumbest songs I have ever heard. Maybe it would be cool if BNL did it, but not a singer song writer type. I know I would never put that out there, but that is me. I think he is a great musician - but I think he should put more time into his lyrics. I do not dislike this album, I think if he spent more time on his lyrics he would be awesome.

As far as my opinion on his shows. The first and second time I saw him - the venue was not sold out and I thought the shows were much better. This time around though it was more about some dumbass doing the Pete Yorn AT&T promo thing and their were banners all over the venue and that made me a little sick. I do not think I spend money on another of his shows when there are a lot better shows to see for less money.

just my thoughts

diamond, please stop saying comments like that. i may be less than half your age, but i'm intelligent enough to realize your condescention--and i do not appreciate it. i strongly believe that every mockery, joke, or sarcastic comment has at least an incling of true feelings behind it. and i think you're confusing the words "higher standards" with the words "different taste"...

as for the topic at hand, i do think that some of his songs are silly or "brain candy"-ish, but i have 2 responses: 1) everyone has some silly songs in their collection... and 2) he is yet in his first few years of writing. u2 had some pretty stupid lyrics back in the day too (wham bam? ;)), but now i just laugh and remember that it's a stepping stone. pete has amazing potential. better yet, he is still a super nice guy...

futhurmore..
the title being "the verdict.."
should not be taken literally.

it's a figure of speech:)

thank
u
db3

Stories for Boys said:
diamond, please stop saying comments like that. i may be less than half your age, but i'm intelligent enough to realize your condescention--and i do not appreciate it. i strongly believe that every mockery, joke, or sarcastic comment has at least an incling of true feelings behind it. and i think you're confusing the words "higher standards" with the words "different taste"...

pete has amazing potential. better yet, he is still a super nice guy...

First I want to thank you for being so cool about this whole discussion. Very mature.

Second, your comment about Pete's personality, at least his public persona, is right on. I had the chance to chat with him at a show once. We were interrupted by someone who knew him and he made it a point to finish our conversation before moving on. A small gesture I know, but I've met other musicians who lack even that common courtesy. But moreover, I just felt like he was genuine.

As far as the comments that he's some sort of pre-packaged music hunk who's marketed on his looks, I don't see it. I think he's kind of ordinary looking, even slightly un-attractive, though I could see certain types of girls digging his overall vibe.

I'm also mystified by the whole sponsorship thing, but my guess is that he doesn't care. It's too easy to just dismiss him as a sell-out, because his statements and lyrics suggest he's a different type of person. My guess is his feeling is similar to U2's, though perhaps more compromised--and that is, get the music out, let that be the most important thing. If someone or some company wants to do that in exchange for a banner or a brand name on the ticket stub, whatever. I don't exactly agree with it, but I'm not going to judge him based on those moves.
(Different in U2's case, in which their "compromise" was to do such uncool things as play the Superbowl and NBA Championships, Letterman, SNL, etc. But both types of moves generally upset the purists in the same way.)

Last point, as if anyone cares at this point: I actually quite like "Day I Forgot." I see it as a natural extension of "MFTMA," except with a few more liberties and indulgences musically. I think it takes a some guts to put a song like "Carlos (Dont' Let It Go to Your Head)" on your album when you know it's fairly inaccessible. I think there's all kinds of little Wilco-esque musical quirks on the album that are intended to be subtle creative embellishments (the little bell sounds on "So Much Work," the high guitar/mandolin notes on "Crystal Village.") I think they're just an attempt to make the music a tad bit different, give it a slightly different hue, a bit of an awkward tilt. I actually think it works, in most cases.

Burrito -- hey, this is a fun song about young love. Just turn it up and drive fast. Nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom