The verdict on Pete Yorn... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2003, 12:38 AM   #31
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 01:01 PM

Seeing that I'm a huge Pete Yorn fan, I really won't be able say anything constructive in this thread towards most of you and your opinions. So I'm just going to keep my mouth shut and agree to disagree with those of you who weren't impressed by him.

Old 05-28-2003, 09:26 AM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:01 AM

Its ok Clarity

Old 05-28-2003, 01:56 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Digi-
that reviewer stole my words..--

In a way, Yorn is everything that is wrong with contemporary rock and pop. The epitome of a mediocre (but carefully packaged) soulful white boy who looks good in publicity photos, he represents something very bad and very annoying about the relationship between labels and the rock writers who make careers of regurgitating press releases

thanks
Digi

DB9
I'm not sure why this writer is so hostile to Pete Yorn. He doesn't do that much for me personally, but I don't find him nearly as annoying as some other young male singer-songwriter types I could name (cough, cough, cough, John Mayer, cough, cough, cough).
Old 05-29-2003, 12:16 AM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

ok look, im sorry.
really sorry.
im sorry to everyone i said little petey yorn sucks live

thank u
diamond
bruno.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:43 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

you certainly have captured the essence of tact, eh diamond?

i like him. i'll agree with nicole on this one and just disagree with you guys.

all i want to say is: there are 2 ways of stating an opinion...1) i didn't like pete live, and i'm not too impressed 2) the rude way

some people seem to forget that the way something is said can offend. you can have your opinion, just be considerate to the rest of us, please.

thank you.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:54 AM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

i dont think i was overly rude.

just a tough critic, i guess my standards are higher..
Old 05-29-2003, 01:57 AM   #37
Refugee

Location: Belmont Shore, CA (I prefer flying a kite at the beach, really.)

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Its ok Clarity
wait a sec, diamond.... you're telling her it's OK that she wants to keep her mouth shut to avoid conflict, and yet you're egging her on! that's not very tactful, really.

Like stories said, there's a tactful way to express an opinion and there's just being plain mean.

Personally, I've seen more mean than I've seen tact in this thread. Very sad, indeed. How would you like it if some shmuck came in from a c*r*e*e*d board and said U2 sucks monkey balls and you all are bunch of pansies for liking their music? You'd be damned straight you'd go after the jugular on that comment. So, why does it make it OK for you to do the same?

I don't go into other boards or other people's threads and say how much I think so and so sucks when I know for a fact there are people who enjoy that person's music. To each his own, I say. But show some tact and some respect.

Moonie
Old 05-29-2003, 02:02 AM   #38
Refugee

Location: Belmont Shore, CA (I prefer flying a kite at the beach, really.)

P.S.:

Your thread title should read "MY" verdict of Pete Yorn, instead of "THE" verdict.... because obviously, as you can see, there are several Pete Yorn fans here who would seriously beg to differ, and well, it's not the verdict for them, ya know?

Moonie
Old 05-29-2003, 02:58 AM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Moonie-
u know me i was playing only

MonkeyBalls? aw shucks

This is not an anti Pete Yorn thread.

This is only a discussion.
Most ppl take my word for Gospel though.

DB9
Old 05-29-2003, 09:51 AM   #40
I Serve Larry's Stick

How does one reply to db9 without getting a sarcastic reply anyway? What higher standards are those? We both listen to U2? So are you coming down to my level for that? I don't appreciate that comment at all, wink smiley or not.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:56 AM   #41
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:01 PM
This thread needs to become something more than an argument between the pro-Yorn and anti-Yorn factions, or it will be closed.

Everyone please stay tactful. Diamond, please keep in mind that, as stories pointed out, there are "nice" and "not-nice" ways of stating an opinion. The "higher standards" statement was kind of condesending. And everyone, keep in mind that at the end of the day, he's a dude with a guitar. Just like Bono. Except not so much with the guitar in Bono's case...well, you know what I mean.

Oh, and for anyone who didn't know, I'm a mod in here now, so I'm not just yelling at people randomly.

Join Amnesty.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:57 AM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Reread my comments.
I said he is a talented studio musician, however he isnt the best live show after seeing many different artists perform for 3 decades.

Are we clear?

thank u-

DB9
Old 05-29-2003, 09:57 AM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Pete Yorn-One of the best artists I've heard in the past few years, because he's "bland". Other artists I like(Radiohead, Sigor Ros, Lips) can be a bit grating after long periods of time w/ their self indulgence and extreme head music. Sometimes, it's nice to hear someone who goes straight for the heart.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:08 AM   #44
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:01 PM
ok well my two cents on this. I have seen Pete Yorn 4 times. My bosses brother manages his band. I have been a fan for about 2.5 years or so.

Now here are my thoughts M4TMA - was a great album. I enjoy it a lot. I do like a chunk of the stuff on the new album, I do not think it is nearly as good. I tend to think a lot of the songs are about the same sort of thing as the those on M4TMA. That is fine it is Pete's album and he is entitled to write what he wants. I also think that burrito is lyrically one of the dumbest songs I have ever heard. Maybe it would be cool if BNL did it, but not a singer song writer type. I know I would never put that out there, but that is me. I think he is a great musician - but I think he should put more time into his lyrics. I do not dislike this album, I think if he spent more time on his lyrics he would be awesome.

As far as my opinion on his shows. The first and second time I saw him - the venue was not sold out and I thought the shows were much better. This time around though it was more about some dumbass doing the Pete Yorn AT&T promo thing and their were banners all over the venue and that made me a little sick. I do not think I spend money on another of his shows when there are a lot better shows to see for less money.

just my thoughts
Old 05-29-2003, 10:17 AM   #45
I Serve Larry's Stick

I'm not even going to comment on this thread anymore. It's just making me