The Vancouver Canucks Are Officially The "Swedest" Team In The NHL (Arvedson!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
The Vancouver Canucks Are Officially The "Swedest" Team In The NHL (Arvedson!)

By a long shot. With the addition of Magnus Arvedson today, they now have a grand total of 7 Swedes! If I remember the team with the next highest total has 4. Here's the updated list of Canucks Swedes:

1. Mattias Ohlund
2. Markus Naslund for us
3. Henrik Sedin
4. Daniel Sedin
5. Mats Lindgren
6. Johan Hedberg
7. Magnus Arvedson

Swedes must love Vancouver. Good thing it has two IKEAS!

Arvedson was a Selke Award finalist a couple years ago, and was one of Ottawa's most balanced players. He scored an amazing top shelf goal on Brodeur in game 7 during the playoffs if you remember. This really improves the bottom end of Vancouver's forwards, and frees up potential trade bait for a top notch forward to play on the 2nd line. I think once we get that one last forward, we will be as good as Detroit, Dallas and even Colorado (given we now have better goaltending than Colorado with the addition of Hedberg).

Can't wait for the season to begin!

Last edited:
Chizip said:
you cant spell swede without weed

think about it

:hmm:
I'm too baked to think that hard. :wink:

Vancouver, BC: Weed capital of the world. It's all grown in Stanley Park:
second.jpg

I just had a thought. If the Canucks ever won the Cup, instead of pouring champagne or beer into it, they'd probably just turn it into a giant bong! The parade down Georgia into Stanley Park (to bring its namesake home) would be hidden under the biggest cloud of smoke this side Texercana. (Texercana is the actual place where a lot of pot is grown in BC...hence why people refer to it as "Texercana Gold".) :wink:

Disclaimer: I was actually kidding about being baked, by the way. :wink:

Zoni - But you've never been to Vancouver, so how would you know if you like it? :wink: (Sorry, couldn't resist that one. :sexywink: )

AvsGirl41 said:
Maybe we are, zoney! The Swedish side originally lived in Minnesota...why they came here, I don't know.

Swedes from Minnesota...get out of here! :wink:

And they did. Denver is actually a pretty damn nice place to live if you ask me. It is on my list of "potential place to live."

Cousin Avi! I like the sound of that. :lol:

hey i don't know about you guys, but you've gotta give it up for the team with the ultimate swede, peter forsberg!!! and we've got some canadians: sakic and kariya a czech:hejduk and a fin:selanne. we're bringing the cup back to denver baby!!!!

and in regard to the canucks, maybe the greatest hockey moment i've witnessed is seeing bure get denied by richter and the canucks losing out on the cup because of my boy messier's incredible leadership!

so put all that in your stanley park pipe and smoke it

shrmn8rpoptart said:
...and in regard to the canucks, maybe the greatest hockey moment i've witnessed is seeing bure get denied by richter and the canucks losing out on the cup because of my boy messier's incredible leadership!

so put all that in your stanley park pipe and smoke it
LOL, and to think I actually used to like the Avalanche until I read your post.

BTW, Messier should have retired after that spring in '94. He hasn't done anything since then...except teach Markus Naslund a couple things I suppose...so for that, I'm eternally grateful.

Last edited:
The superficial fa?ade that was the Av's shallow confidence has now evaporated with retirements and departures. Get ready for an extra long winter, and a golf rich summer boys.

:up:

Griffiths, why haven't you signed up for my hockey pool? Zoney? Anyone damnit? Is it because I'm too amicable, too nice?

Things will have to change...

PS- Swedish talent is good in medium doses.

Pinball Wizard said:
Griffiths, why haven't you signed up for my hockey pool? Zoney? Anyone damnit? Is it because I'm too amicable, too nice?
Yes, I will have to look into that pool. When's the deadline?

PS- Swedish talent is good in medium doses.
AvsGirl - Are you going to just take that lying down? Swedish talent is never a bad thing. :sexywink:

Michael Griffiths said:
I just had a thought. If the Canucks ever won the Cup, instead of pouring champagne or beer into it, they'd probably just turn it into a giant bong! The parade down Georgia into Stanley Park (to bring its namesake home) would be hidden under the biggest cloud of smoke this side Texercana. (Texercana is the actual place where a lot of pot is grown in BC...hence why people refer to it as "Texercana Gold".) :wink:

I heard the weed we export over to the states is known as BC Hydro heh heh heh, never thought i'd feel proud of one of our crown corporations.

Last edited:
zonelistener said:

Swedes from Minnesota...get out of here! :wink:

And they did. Denver is actually a pretty damn nice place to live if you ask me. It is on my list of "potential place to live."

Cousin Avi! I like the sound of that. :lol:

Well, they could definitely have picked worse places. :)

But if we'd stayed in Minnesota, I probably would have played hockey sooner...and maybe I would have been really good...and gotten a scholarship or something out of it, instead of being suck on the expensive, recreational level...hehehehehe

And I'd have known my cousin. :hug: :wink:

Michael Griffiths said:

Yes, I will have to look into that pool. When's the deadline?

AvsGirl - Are you going to just take that lying down? Swedish talent is never a bad thing. :sexywink:

Eh. He's obviously one of those Canadians bitter over the astonishing talent of Europe.

Us Swedes can take it. The truth is obvious. :sexywink:

No knocking the Czechs, though. :mad:

I'm going to make the autodraft for Tuesday Sept. 30th. That gives you more than two weeks to figure things out... nothing too difficult.

I was referring to Swedish talent as individual players, not generalized nationalistic ability. I actually cheered for them to win in hockey at the Winter Olympics last time 'round.

Go Sweden.

I am an island

Pinball Wizard said:
The superficial fa?ade that was the Av's shallow confidence has now evaporated with retirements and departures. Get ready for an extra long winter, and a golf rich summer boys.

what are you talking about:drool: a facade? of course sakic, forsberg, hedjuk, tanguay, selanne, and kariya are just empty talent who have never amounted to much. NOT! you must baked out of your canadian mind to believe such crap. and as far as retirements, who do you mean, roy? of course that is a great loss, but all aebischer will have to do is keep his gaa under four and we'll win the northwest easily. THE WASTE OF SPACE CANUCKS WON'T STAND A CHANCE!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Oh and Messier hasn't done anything since '94? name me one guy on that crappy ny team that has!

what are you talking about:drool: a facade? of course sakic, forsberg, hedjuk, tanguay, selanne, and kariya are just empty talent who have never amounted to much. NOT! you must baked out of your canadian mind to believe such crap. and as far as retirements, who do you mean, roy? of course that is a great loss, but all aebischer...
LOL!!

Oh and Messier hasn't done anything since '94? name me one guy on that crappy ny team that has!
Uhm, Wayne Gretzky. (Unless you consider scoring two playoff hat tricks in one season and single handedly taking the team to the conference finals, as well as finishing in the top 4 in NHL scoring twice in a row--at the ages of 36 and 37--not doing anything.)

did you guys realize thread specific ads are at the top of the page

like right now there is an ad for canucks tickets

oh the horror

shrmn8rpoptart said:
what are you talking about:drool: a facade? of course sakic, forsberg, hedjuk, tanguay, selanne, and kariya are just empty talent who have never amounted to much. NOT! you must baked out of your canadian mind to believe such crap.

I will let your insolence slide for the moment, as you are obviously inexperienced. Colorado will return to pre-Bourque form... and there will be some major trades in the organization. The gratuitously talented offensive line-up will not stay intact for the entire season.

and as far as retirements, who do you mean, roy? of course that is a great loss, but all aebischer will have to do is keep his gaa under four and we'll win the northwest easily.

The affectation that was Roy is gone. His marketability and past reputation allowed him to slide on a good team the past few years. His mystique carried him...

(Back off stat monkeys, I'm prepared to duel. If you want to see my arguments take a look at the Roy thread from a few months back. There's nothing left to say.)

The fact that you said a 4 GAA would be sufficient only perpetuates the fact that this whole team is a shell of incompleteness. Many in the past have taken the offense first stance and failed. They will fall apart like the Rangers.

Now, by all means continue your reactionary posturing with ignorant expressions and an insulting tone.

Works for me.

PS- I believe fa?ade is in the dictionary. Don't mention it.

Last edited:
shrmn8rpoptart said:
Pinball Wizard said:

what are you talking about:drool: a facade? of course sakic, forsberg, hedjuk, tanguay, selanne, and kariya are just empty talent who have never amounted to much. NOT! you must baked out of your canadian mind to believe such crap. and as far as retirements, who do you mean, roy? of course that is a great loss, but all aebischer will have to do is keep his gaa under four and we'll win the northwest easily. THE WASTE OF SPACE CANUCKS WON'T STAND A CHANCE!!!!!!!!!! LOL

As the one sour Avs fan in Colorado, I will remind you of the hollowness of our third and fourth lines.

We are badly in need of some grit and grinders on those lines. I really don't see someone like Serge Aubin stepping up and giving it their all. What happens when our amazing 2 lines are on the bench, as they will be from time to time?

I'm not worried about Aebischer, but I *am* concerned about the lack of a real physical presence on our team. :|

But AvsGirl - Your first two lines are so potent, Chizip and Cujo could be centering the next two lines and it still wouldn't matter! Chiz would be sneaking beer into the Gatorade bottles, and Cuj would be busy reprimanding him for it (all the while drinking it) but Salanne, Kariya, Hejduk, Forsberg, and Sakic would be scoring in the mean time. Hey, why even bother with the other two lines? I say each of the top 2 lines should take turns double shifting! (J/K, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this late in the 3rd period if they desperately had to win a game in the playoffs.)

Michael Griffiths said:
But AvsGirl - Your first two lines are so potent, Chizip and Cujo could be centering the next two lines and it still wouldn't matter! Chiz would be sneaking beer into the Gatorade bottles, and Cuj would be busy reprimanding him for it (all the while drinking it) but Salanne, Kariya, Hejduk, Forsberg, and Sakic would be scoring in the mean time. Hey, why even bother with the other two lines? I say each of the top 2 lines should take turns double shifting! (J/K, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this late in the 3rd period if they desperately had to win a game in the playoffs.)

But what if there are injuries? Slumps? Lack of chemistry? When it comes to penalty kill and *especially* the playoffs, those third and fourth lines have to contribute a goal or two.

My sister and dad went to training camp today. Sarah reports that Selanne and Sakic weren't clicking well, but that Kariya and Sakic did. It's only one day of camp and certainly nothing to judge a line on, but it added an interesting kink. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom