The Vancouver Canucks Are Officially The "Swedest" Team In The NHL (Arvedson!) - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2003, 09:20 PM   #46
War Child

Local Time: 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Pinball Wizard

You often have to question the credibility of the fanship when all they've seen is the upside of the curve, with relatively few setbacks.

Plus, there used to be a lot of jackasses on that team. Most of whom have moved on... or retired.

Alright, you gave me somtheing to run with, and I'm going to have to take it. I'm sorry, did you say we've never experienced the downside of the curve. Maybe you're right, but we have experienced rock bottom. Maybe you don't remember the late '70's. but there was a team called the Colorado Rockies, and they sucked bad! The best player on the team was Wilf Piemont for god-sakes. The playoffs were just not something that that team did. But fans still went to games, and were enthusiastic. You may not know this, but the Rockies actually started the tradition of playing Rock & Roll pt. II after goals.

Also, you have to look at the Nuggets, Rockies, and the Broncos (for most of the '90's). Before the Avs winning the cup in '96, the only major sports title won by a Colorado team was Colorado University winning the national college football championship in 1990. These are fans that have known the absolute worst and still support their teams (except for the Nuggets, who are doing their damndest to run that organization into the ground).

Why you pick Colorado fans to rip on is puzzling to me. If you want to find brainless fans, look to LA, who boo Rob Blake every time he touches the puck. Even though he was one of the best players that the Kings have ever known, and performed a great deal of charity work in LA. Colorado fans support their teams through the thick and thin, the good and bad. I am sorry however that the Canucks do manage to string together dismal season after dismal season, had your joy stolen by messier, richter and graves in 1994, and choked away the division title on the last day of the season last year. But I guess the way you tell it, all of those add up to a great franchise and the best fans in the league.

Also who on the team has ever been a jackass? IF you want jackasses, look instead to McCarty, Draper, LaPointe, Shanahan, and Bowman. And don't even waste your breath saying i'm just a bitter Avs fan who only has the intellect enough to rip on the Wings. Maybe you'd know a little bit about heated rivalries if your team was ever good enough to be of concern to anyone.

Rip the team all that you want. Make your Yankee comparisons, though that seems to be quite a compliment. Don't insult our fans however, because we have been to the bottom, and unlike Vancouver fans, have found that we like it better on top!

Old 09-19-2003, 02:23 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:56 PM
So, the Canucks and Wild played tonight for the first time since their heated playoff series. Vancouver outshot them 43-12! Fernandez stood on his head for the Wild, as they only lost 1-0 to the Canucks. Bertuzzi sat on a couple players after Ohlund and Naslund got speared by the dirty Wild players. No one messes with Nazzy and gets away with it!

Old 09-19-2003, 04:06 AM   #48
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by shrmn8rpoptart
Alright, you gave me somtheing to run with, and I'm going to have to take it. I'm sorry, did you say we've never experienced the downside of the curve. Maybe you're right, but we have experienced rock bottom. Maybe you don't remember the late '70's. but there was a team called the Colorado Rockies, and they sucked bad! The best player on the team was Wilf Piemont for god-sakes. The playoffs were just not something that that team did. But fans still went to games, and were enthusiastic. You may not know this, but the Rockies actually started the tradition of playing Rock & Roll pt. II after goals.
I would offer you a shovel, but you're doing a damn fine nice job yourself.

First of all, I was merely extending the sentiments of the majority of non-Avalanche fans, not proclaiming my subjectivity towards the issue... although I am somewhat biased.

Also, you're right... we do owe a debt of gratitude to the Rockies for issuing royalties to one Gary Glitter every time a goal is scored... nice to fund a pedophile ain't it?

Quote:
Also, you have to look at the Nuggets, Rockies, and the Broncos (for most of the '90's). Before the Avs winning the cup in '96, the only major sports title won by a Colorado team was Colorado University winning the national college football championship in 1990. These are fans that have known the absolute worst and still support their teams (except for the Nuggets, who are doing their damndest to run that organization into the ground).

That's fair enough for Colorado as a sports city, but as a hockey city it is still relatively new. You won't win the benefit of the doubt when you mention a flash in the pan expansion franchise... agonizing as those few seasons were... try seven years without a playoff appearance.

Quote:
Why you pick Colorado fans to rip on is puzzling to me. If you want to find brainless fans, look to LA, who boo Rob Blake every time he touches the puck. Even though he was one of the best players that the Kings have ever known, and performed a great deal of charity work in LA. Colorado fans support their teams through the thick and thin, the good and bad. I am sorry however that the Canucks do manage to string together dismal season after dismal season, had your joy stolen by messier, richter and graves in 1994, and choked away the division title on the last day of the season last year. But I guess the way you tell it, all of those add up to a great franchise and the best fans in the league.
Why pick on Colorado (hockey specifically) fans? Silver spoon syndrome mostly... not that it's their fault. It's just how it is.

Quote:
Also who on the team has ever been a jackass? IF you want jackasses, look instead to McCarty, Draper, LaPointe, Shanahan, and Bowman. And don't even waste your breath saying i'm just a bitter Avs fan who only has the intellect enough to rip on the Wings.
I don't think I have to. You're shadow boxing the hell out of yourself.

Jackasses... that's just my personal opinion. Roy... redefined the lines of arrogance and confidence to include douchebaggery. In his case, if jackass was a door, it would be ripped from its hinges.

Claude Lemieux... need I elaborate?

Of course there aren't many tactless players on the team anymore, hence the statement I made.

Quote:
Maybe you'd know a little bit about heated rivalries if your team was ever good enough to be of concern to anyone.
Confidence like that against teams of "little concern" has been the Avs strong point. Surely worked against the Wild and the Oilers... Just keep thinking that, and you're golf handicap will improve every season.

Lucky for the Avs that Dallas usually takes care of the underdogs... or else there might be fewer banners hanging from the rafters.

Up until this point you were strattling the lines of reasoning, but now you've crossed the boundaries. Your assumptions about me, and pretty much any out of the sphere of Avalanche worship, are unfounded... even considering the hardcore fan source.

Quote:
Rip the team all that you want. Make your Yankee comparisons, though that seems to be quite a compliment. Don't insult our fans however, because we have been to the bottom, and unlike Vancouver fans, have found that we like it better on top!
It's nice to see that you only further propagate the myths about Colorado fans out there. Shall we have a toast to generalizing?

No? Maybe you're right... you do look hosed already. For a futuristic sex robot.

PS- Thanks for labelling me as a Vancouver fan. You're good at those assumptions. Keep it up.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:07 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
So, the Canucks and Wild played tonight for the first time since their heated playoff series. Vancouver outshot them 43-12! Fernandez stood on his head for the Wild, as they only lost 1-0 to the Canucks. Bertuzzi sat on a couple players after Ohlund and Naslund got speared by the dirty Wild players. No one messes with Nazzy and gets away with it!
my god, its come down to bragging about exhibition games?

im gonna shoot myself before the season even starts if i have to read much more of this
Old 09-19-2003, 05:16 AM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Chiz, you temp me, you temp me (only j/k...very bad taste...I apologize).
Old 09-19-2003, 05:19 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

hey ass dart, why dont you get into the fantasy league?
Old 09-19-2003, 08:49 AM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

griffdawgy

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths

Mikey old boy...the Canucks were playing the Houston Aeros....a minor league team Read the article...and focus on Brtuzzi's first quote...it is hilarious!!!

Rivalry heats up as Wild, Canucks meet again
Chris Snow, Star Tribune Staff Writer

WINNIPEG, MANITOBA -- Vancouver Canucks defenseman Mattias Ohlund slumped to the ice in the waning minutes of the second period Thursday, leveled by a double shot from Wild forward Matt Johnson. First a slash across the hands. Then a punch from behind along the glass.

Game on. Canucks-Wild. Rivalry renewed. Surprised?

"What do you think this is, tennis?" asked bellicose Vancouver winger Todd Bertuzzi. "This is hockey, man. It's a contact sport. Things are going to happen like that."

Vancouver and the Wild combined for 43 penalty minutes in Thursday's preseason opener, 17 alone assessed to Johnson on that one play (five for slashing, two for roughing, 10 for a game misconduct). Speaking of 43, that's how many shots the Canucks poured on Manny Fernandez. He stopped 42. The Wild, meanwhile, managed 12 shots, losing 1-0 in front of an announced crowd of 10,214 at Winnipeg Arena.

"It was not as bad as the shots indicated because they are a team that shoots from everywhere and is a forechecking team," Wild coach Jacques Lemaire said. "They put pressure on the net and jam the net.

"The thing we didn't do is we didn't create. We couldn't find open guys in the offensive zone. . . . The kids, it's a difficult game for them. They've got to be better with the puck when they have it."

Before proceeding, it should be noted that the Wild dressed only eight players from the team that held off Vancouver last spring in three consecutive playoff elimination games. The Canucks rolled out the Grade-A talent: Markus Naslund, Bertuzzi, Brendan Morrison, Ed Jovanovski and Ohlund.

The parent club of the American Hockey League's Manitoba Moose, Vancouver had two reasons to stockpile its stars. First, the Canucks hoped to make it worth the $40 average ticket price for the fans. Second, this likely was the final NHL game in wrecking-ball destined Winnipeg Arena.

Still, the Wild stifled six of seven Vancouver power plays. At even strength, the Houston Aeros' top line of Stephane Veilleux, Rickard Wallin and Kyle Wanvig often flanked the Bertuzzi-Naslund-Morrison unit. The Canucks' top line did not record a point.

Yet the shots piled up by period, 13-6 in the first, 16-3 in the second, 14-3 in the third.

Fernandez sealed off almost everything his teammates could not, despite breaking in new goaltending pads, chest protector and shorts that arrived late this summer.

"If I look awkward, that could be the reason," he said. "But I don't want to blame anything on that. I was anxious. This made me feel better."

Fernandez was beaten only once, on a Mats Lindgren wrist shot from 40 feet.

"Manny was solid," Lemaire said. "He was on top of his game. The goal that was scored, he didn't see it. I am very satisfied with that."

Asked if he appreciated a good workload in the preseason opener, Fernandez said: "It went well. If I'd been shelled and given up 10 goals, I'm not sure I would have responded that way."

Up front, the Wild's top line proved to be the combination of left winger Christoph Brandner, center Sergei Zholtok and right winger Alexandre Daigle. A camp tryout player, Daigle came up with the best scoring chance. Midway through the game, Daigle had Canucks goalie Tyler Moss out of position before Moss scrambled back into position and swung out his right pad.

"I didn't see him coming," Daigle said. "I thought he was still in the corner. I would have shot it high."

So, given all this, what do we know? At the very least, that sultry days sitting by the pool did nothing this summer to soften these rivals.

"Minnesota is a natural rival of ours," Canucks General Manager Brian Burke told local reporters a week ago. "And my impression is that it will not be a feel-good game."

That it was not.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:46 AM   #53
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:56 AM
Quote:

Lucky for the Avs that Dallas usually takes care of the underdogs... or else there might be fewer banners hanging from the rafters.
I completely disagree.

Mainly because Dallas is not and never will be the team the Avs is.

Dallas has fallen on their face the past three seasons, I believe.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:58 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Re: griffdawgy

Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener

Read the article...and focus on Brtuzzi's first quote...it is hilarious!!!
Yeah, saw that on sportsnet last night. It's even funnier in reality. You should have seen the look of utter disbelief on Bertuzzi's face at even the notion that someone would ask the question about it. I think the reporter was in shock.

Oh, what were they thinking with the Houston Aeros comment?! LOL.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:41 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah...what a dumb question.

Glad to turn this thread back to its original purpose: The Canucks!!! (damn Avs fans and haters).
Old 09-19-2003, 06:36 PM   #56
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener
Yeah...what a dumb question.

Glad to turn this thread back to its original purpose: The Canucks!!! (damn Avs fans and haters).
Old 09-19-2003, 07:01 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

that's all you got?

Come on AG.....I expect more!
Old 09-20-2003, 12:45 AM   #58
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by AvsGirl41
I completely disagree.

Mainly because Dallas is not and never will be the team the Avs is.

Dallas has fallen on their face the past three seasons, I believe.
I respect your opinion.

Old 09-20-2003, 01:26 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

PS- Thanks for labelling me as a Vancouver fan. You're good at those assumptions. Keep it up.
Maybe he thought you had some great hockey wisdom? You should take it as a compliment!
Old 09-20-2003, 01:28 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by shrmn8rpoptart

Don't insult our fans however, because we have been to the bottom, and unlike Vancouver fans, have found that we like it better on top!
Keep your sick fantasies out of the locker room.