the US Open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
well it's grand slam time.

I don't usually watch this one because of time zones, although my week long vacation this year just about coincides with the men's and women's final days so I'll at least be watching that.

Hello,

Saw the first set of Verkerk - Bogomolov last night. It was a close call (tiebreak), but I thought it wouldn't be too difficult for Verkerk. This morning I heard I was wrong. Verkerk won in the 5th set after Bogomolov had to give up.

BTW, I haven't seen the Sampras show/announcement. Another great player leaves the circuit. Luckily he retires on a high (more or less, after his US Open title last year he hasn't played anymore). But on Wimbledon he only lost 1 match between 1994 and 2000 (or so) - from Krajicek in 1996 who went on to win Wimbledon that year. He was really an impressive player.

C ya!

Marty

I thought the ceremony for Pete was very well done

mdf345530.jpg

well done on a great carrer pete :applaud:
but surely you could have let pat rafter win the wimbleon in '99!! :wink:

phlipousis into the 3rd round , and so it is Molik, AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!

Hello,

I just saw the match between (Todd) Martin and Martin (Verkerk). Of course I was hoping for the Dutchman to win, but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. It was a fair and even game, but in the end Todd Martin had just that little bit extra: 6-3 6-4 6-7 7-6. You played well Martin, good luck with your next match!

C ya!

Marty

:|

P.S. I have to add that Todd Martin already looks old :eek: (even though he's only 34/35 or so)

Last edited:
I haven't watched any of the tennis yet but I hope to see some this weekend, maybe a night match. Pete's baby is cute. I missed that ceremony. Phooey!

I don't want Lleyton to win either

because he's up against the mighty Paradorn Srichaphan

Come on Paradorn, all of Asia is rooting for you!

I saw Federer play James Blake this morning. Damn, when he's on song that man is unbeatable.

I'd like to see Lleyton win, although he's had a pretty shit year so far. I'm already quite sick of hearing Andy Roddick hyped up beyond belief. As far as many of the commentators are concerned, he's already got this competition sewn up...

Capriati is playing Dementiva now (who would be so much better if she would just improve her SERVE, for the love of god).

At least it was nice to hear John McEnroe state that the 'Next Pete Sampras' is Federer (although doubtful that he'll win as many slams, but he has the talent).

note to US Open organisers: build a :censored: roof over at least the Arthur Ashe stadium court, or at the very least get some tarps. :angry:

three straight days. i want some tennis.

Hello,

Let the games continue! Last night (Dutch time) it was dry enough to play again, fortunately. And yay to Schalken! He beat Schuettler in 4 sets and reaches the QF for a second year in a row (last year he even reached the SF). He'll be playing Roddick now, so sorry all you Roddick-fans, but I'll be rooting for the last Dutchman standing. :)

Go Schalken!

Marty

I *finally* got to watch some tennis today! Andre looked good; Juan Carlos was great, Andy looked good, and then I didn't have time to watch the last men's match since I'm tuning into the ladies matches tonight. Nothing against the Williams sisters but it'll be nice to see someone else in the finals! I'm going to pull for Capriati, not because she's American but because I like her determination and guts. She could have thrown in the towel after all of those problems she had but she didn't. Nothing against Kim, Justine or Lindsay, though, they're all cool.

I'm rooting for Kim, personally. By all accounts one of the nicest people around (it was awfully sweet seeing her using the drying machine the other day), and she's world no. 1, so she must be doing something right.

Whew, just finished watching the Henin-Hardenne--Capriati match! Whew! That was one of the best matches I ever saw, hands down. They both played great. Since Justine already has the French Open title I hope Kim can win this one. Wow!

Go ANDRE
I just happened to wake up to watch RAGE( it's 3:45am now) and lo and behold...there he is!!!! YAY!!!!!!
and I heard the commentator say Stefi has a baby due In November...YAY!!!!
:heart:
GO ANDRE...one more time...

I picked up the Capriati match when she was up 5-2 in the third...what do you think the turning point was? the other player *** (can't recall her name) seemed to have leg cramps but JC kept hitting the ball right at her; JC was then robbed of at least one line call///how did that match turn around?

Wow. That's amazing. I'm really impressed with Henin-Hardenne. She reminds me of a younger Monica Seles with that fiery tenacity.
Try beating that!

much as I dislike Andy Roddick, I take my hat off to him. He fought well against Nalbandian to get to the final and by all accounts (I haven't seen the final yet due to time zones) he played brilliantly against Juan Carlos. a deserving champion. well done.

I like Roddick myself. He has alot of personality and a great game. He can still improve certain aspects of his game, especially his return of serve. Most of all, he can *compete* with the best of them. I'm glad he won.

Back
Top Bottom