The Unofficial Interference 1990s Decade Pop-Culture Appreciation Thread!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Five years out of the 1990s and the heavy veneer of romanticism is out. Come 2015, we'll have a whole bunch of romantics lamenting the loss of this decade, so you might as well enjoy the history in the making while you can.

Melon

{paintedroses} said:

You have no idea how many hours I used to spend playing MarioKart!! I love it! We had to sell our SNES to upgrade to a Playstation.. I want it back! :sad:

you could get it on your pc ROMs have saved me from going insane...i loved Mario Kart...now i can play on the PC:drool:

Last edited:
LJT said:

you could get it on yourpc ROMs have saved me from going insane...i loved Mario Kart...now i can play on the PC:drool:

I do.. but somehow its not the same :( can't do the multiplayer thing with all the friends :sigh:

{paintedroses} said:

I do.. but somehow its not the same :( can't do the multiplayer thing with all the friends :sigh:

The battle mode was the greatest thing in the world at the time:sad: There was a youth club i went to for a while and it had a SNES sitting in the corner everybody gathered around it to play Mariokart, winner stayed on...some really great battles i had there...those were the days...

LJT said:

The battle mode was the greatest thing in the world at the time:sad: There was a youth club i went to for a while and it had a SNES sitting in the corner everybody gathered around it to play Mariokart, winner stayed on...some really great battles i had there...those were the days...

Oh the memories!! I was always the princess and kicked the others' arses!:wink:

Theres a shop in my town that sells loads of old games consoles and every time i walk past i'm tempted to go buy one of those little boxes of endless fun.. :drool:

Ohhh I know what my student loan and time I should be spending studying will be going on... :drool:

We could form the inter-university Mariokart championship:hyper:

10 times more fun than stupid university challenge:wink:

Laird/Bono said:

Why Kat? It's such a great song...is it the whole questioning God thing.

Oh I feel pathetic now but, Yes it seemed blashpemous :uhoh: I loved the song though just felt guilty for liking it. I still do! My solution was to listen but not sing along :lmao:

why does this feel like zoo confessional :|

melon said:
Five years out of the 1990s and the heavy veneer of romanticism is out. Come 2015, we'll have a whole bunch of romantics lamenting the loss of this decade, so you might as well enjoy the history in the making while you can.
true. at the time, i thought the music in the mid to late 90s sucked. then when i was looking through, picking out my favourite song for each year (starting all the way back at the 60s), when i got to 1999, i couldn't decide and had to pick three. it wasn't until then that i realized hey, maybe the late 90s produced some good music after all.

i try to take a good combo of both, i do listen to a LOT of older music, but i do try to occasionally get into newer music as well. just as people are lamenting that they wished they could've lived the 90s as adults, i don't want to look back and say "i wish i'd paid more attention to the current pop scene in the mid to late 00s when i WAS an adult, some of it was pretty good" in 2015.

I have been so occupied with the nostalgia of the 80's lately, after buying the Live Aid DVD and thinking about my childhood a lot.
I was born in 1980, so the 90's to me are essentially my teens, and I'm feeling somewhat nostalgic about that period as well. It was the years when I got into music and movies, and your list is a good reminder.
It was also the period of my life when I established my best lasting friendships and I also met my husband in 1997. Our first romantic movie was actually Titanic.:wink:

I was a britpoper, listened alot to Oasis, Blur, Radiohead and the like. Anyone who remembers The Verve, Ash and Supergrass?

On a sidenote, the mention of the falling of the Berlin wall reminds me of that night. My family watched in on TV with a family from East Germany who fled to Sweden when it was still possible to get out. I can say that it was an emotional night, but I'm a bit sad that I was just nine years old and didn't quite understand the historical event.

The sport event I remember from the 90's is the olympic wintergames in 1994, when Peter Forsberg gave Sweden the hockey gold. I have never cheered that much before or after in my life.

Duke 3D entertained us with those ripped off one liners to pixellated strippers like "Shake it Baby!", "Wanna Dance". Kicking ass all through apocalyptic LA killing PigCops, showdowns with Aliens and the whole bit ~ Area 51 and conspiracy theories, crop circles, oh so much fun.

Doom, Doom II, Quake, Quake II and Quake 3, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Warcraft, C&C, Dune, Wolf3D, online BBS RPGs, Shadow Warrior, Rise of the Triad, Monkey Island, all those SCUMM engine games, the long wait for and ultimate dissapointment at Daikatana. The solid thrills of Half Life, the early LANS with CS where we played with the scoped Colt back in beta phase ~ bunny hopping like mad. Star Craft too I guess and Brood War. A whole manner of Flight Sims marked that decade.

Got to watch X-Files, Buffy, Dark Skies, Sea Quest DSV, Duckman, Newsradio.

Lots of Seinfeld as well ~ of course ~ since it was 'the show' too watch.

We had the option of watching not one but two new Star Trek shows on wednesday late night.

The big blockbuster movies; Independence Day, Jurassic Park ( :drool: ), Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Rock, the increasingly campy Batman movies.

Last edited:
I think we're forgetting the single most important part of culture, not just pop culture, but maybe all of humanity's output, for that decade........

*cues music*

JOFO said:
I think we're forgetting the single most important part of culture, not just pop culture, but maybe all of humanity's output, for that decade........

*cues music*

:lmao: why did I like that show soooo much? I remember watching the very first episode with popcorn at a friends house. And I cried during the very last epidode :reject: even though it was crap :wink:

Nah... back then I was a THIRTY-SOMETHING watcher. "Cos I was thirty-something...":huh:

cheezy movies like (...*insert name of ANY Steven Segal movie here*)

Plus the biggest thing in th 90's (nostalgia for the 70's) :lmao:

Flannel wearing Nirvana-wannabees weeping while listening to Black by Pearl Jam on their clunky old cd/walkman.

Flannel wearing Pearl Jam-wannabees weeping while listening to All Apologies by Nirvana on their clunky old cd/walkman.

Neither of them willing to admit that they like S.T.P.... cos THAT would be a breach of " Seattle cool..":eyebrow:
Morning all *1:27 pm*:wink:

U2dork said:
Didn't the 90's just happen?! How can you have nostalgia for something that happened, like, yesterday?!?
I am not old!!!!:scream::crazy:

:lmao:

well 1990 was 15 years ago...and right now I'm 17...so that was like my life ago :huh: 1999 was 6 years ago... I would have been 11 at the time...I was still a kid then. I grew up as a kid in the 90's. I remember renting those Ninja Turtles tapes and getting all the action figures. I remember going to see The Lion King about 10 times with my dad. I remember watching Jurassic Park when I was just a little thing but loving it because it had dinosaurs and dinosaurs were awesome. I remember collecting Beanie Babies and Tamagotchi's and wishing I had a Furby. I remember being obsessed with Pokemon for like two years, and then Digimon. I remember my mom forcing me to listen to a song that completely changed my life back in 1997, third grade...that song was called Discotheque :wink: I remember listening to Pop nonstop. I remember talking to some guy on the internet (yes, I was online in 1997, hellz yea) who claimed he was Bono and told me to go get the Joshua Tree...so I did, despite the fact that I doubted that guy was really "Bone-oh" as I called him. I remember discovering U2's albums one by one and never really realizing how different they were from each other, they were all just pieces of the puzzle that was U2. I remember my cool cousin Drew who was into Nirvana and convinced that Kurt Cobain was murdered. I didn't discover Nirvana for myself til much later. I remember those times when I liked *NSYNC and Backstreet Boys and thought they were "cute." I remember everyone freaking out over Y2K and then nothing happening.

I remember watching VH1's I Love the 90's and thinking, didn't the 90's happen like 5 years ago? then I thought about it and realized the 90's were actually the majority of my life. It's easier to feel nostalgic about 5 years ago when you're 17 :p

AtomicBono said:

:lmao:

well 1990 was 15 years ago...and right now I'm 17...so that was like my life ago :huh: 1999 was 6 years ago... I would have been 11 at the time...I was still a kid then. I grew up as a kid in the 90's. I remember renting those Ninja Turtles tapes and getting all the action figures. I remember going to see The Lion King about 10 times with my dad. I remember watching Jurassic Park when I was just a little thing but loving it because it had dinosaurs and dinosaurs were awesome. I remember collecting Beanie Babies and Tamagotchi's and wishing I had a Furby. I remember being obsessed with Pokemon for like two years, and then Digimon. I remember my mom forcing me to listen to a song that completely changed my life back in 1997, third grade...that song was called Discotheque :wink: I remember listening to Pop nonstop. I remember talking to some guy on the internet (yes, I was online in 1997, hellz yea) who claimed he was Bono and told me to go get the Joshua Tree...so I did, despite the fact that I doubted that guy was really "Bone-oh" as I called him. I remember discovering U2's albums one by one and never really realizing how different they were from each other, they were all just pieces of the puzzle that was U2. I remember my cool cousin Drew who was into Nirvana and convinced that Kurt Cobain was murdered. I didn't discover Nirvana for myself til much later. I remember those times when I liked *NSYNC and Backstreet Boys and thought they were "cute." I remember everyone freaking out over Y2K and then nothing happening.

I remember watching VH1's I Love the 90's and thinking, didn't the 90's happen like 5 years ago? then I thought about it and realized the 90's were actually the majority of my life. It's easier to feel nostalgic about 5 years ago when you're 17 :p

Tamagotchis....hahaha.

I remember my best friend and I when we were 13, got a couple tamagotchis so we could make them die. We were just stupid kids who thought it was hilarious. I realize now it was just really really stupid and idiotic.

:wink:

I'd like to put in a mention for the Spice Girls! :reject: ... maybe not the most talented group of women in the world but they played a considerable part in my childhood.

Girl Power :rockon:

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Unofficial Interference 1990s Decade Pop-Culture Appreciation Thread!!!!!

Zootlesque said:

Achtung Baby
Nevermind
Ten
Metallica
Use Your Illusion
Dangerous
We Can't Dance
Blood Sugar Sex Magik

:

:drool: Great year ,,,

Yeah, I remember The Verve and Supergrass!

I remember having a Tamoigothca-Tamigatchi-Tam- one of those little keyring computer pet things!

And to keep the MarioKart discussion going, I always, always played as the Toadstool (what his name?). They don't make games like that anymore......well I guess they do, which version of MarioKart are Nintendo currently peddling? It'll be up to double figures before we know it and I bet none of them will beat the original!!

Back
Top Bottom