The Underappreciated Band Appreciation Topic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UberBeaver

Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
In this topic we will pay homage to those bands/albums that kick much ass but no one seems to give a shit.

HUM - Downward is Heavenward

One of the best rock albums of the 90s, and no one gives a shit. Check it out. It's like Smashing Pumpkins meets Cake.

James - at least in America

Grant Lee Buffalo - One of the greatest American bands in the last 20 years

Midnight Oil - great political band that never really got the due

Ours - amazing live band, great albums and all I see is they get written off as Radiohead or Jeff Buckley rip offs

Sinead O'Connor - I think she alienated herself, but has one of the best voices, one of the most collaborating artists(U2, James, Willie Nelson, Peter Gabriel, Massive Attack, Moby, and much more) and had some great albums after her big break though that went unnoticed.

Kings of Leon - superb rock n roll band, 2 great albums, revered by the press and music critics but treated like Satans Spawn on here:madspit:

i love kings of leon, james and iron & wine from the above mentioned...i, for one, very much appreciate them

for me my list would consist of....
The Music, Michael Penn, Aimee Mann, Jeff Buckley, badly drawn boy, belle & sebastian, Tom Waits, air, travis, pulp

among others

My girlfriend loves Aimee Man, and I like some Jeff Buckley

yertle-the-turtle said:
Foo Fighters. Always known as some kind of 'MTV-rock' band or something. They're better than Nirvana, and Dave Grohl can write really good, catchy songs.

Yeah, for some reason the Foos don't seem to be ALL that popular... even in the US. :hmm:

inmyplace13 said:
Iron & Wine :love:

hell yeah! Sam Beam is a poet!

65daysofstatic, they are ridiculously good... 'The Fall of Math' is one of my favorite albums... ever

Anything by Soul Asylum. They were such an amazing live band who also put out some charming little albums(11 in all). Unfortunately Karl Mueller(bass player) passed away a few months ago. The band was set to release another album(first since 1997) but now it looks as though it may never come out.

Did Soul Asylum ever recover from the Runaway Train fiasco? That was a great song. Actually, last time I mentioned this on here, someone had some info which was more interesting or proved my belief about that song wrong. I cant remember which, or who said it..but it was interesting!

:hmm:

Bush, is my pick, as usual.

I dont get the definition of underrated when people use names like Queen and Jeff Buckley. :slant:

Angela Harlem said:
Did Soul Asylum ever recover from the Runaway Train fiasco?
What was the fiasco?

Angela Harlem said:

I dont get the definition of underrated when people use names like Queen and Jeff Buckley. :slant:

Yeah I don't get the Queen one either.

But as far as Jeff, I think he was underrated while here, but death elevated him to a sort of cult status. It's a fucking shame too.

Angela Harlem said:

Bush, is my pick, as usual.

I saw Gavin's new band Institute on Leno or Conan last night and just thought man what happened to the Bush of Sixteen Stone. Now don't get me wrong there were a few tunes after that album, but never a whole album as good as their first. But this new band is just watered down Bush.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Midnight Oil - great political band that never really got the due

Yes! There is so much more to these guys than Bed's Are Burning... Earth, Sun & Moon, 10-1 and Blue Sky Mining are some of the best albums ever made. They were a blistering live act... top 5 for me for sure.

In America I would venture Crowded House never got the due that they were more than entitled to. The fact Woodface never got off the ground there proves without a doubt that the American charts were/are/and will always be a commercial clusterfuck. Every country in the Western world ate it up with a spoon yet America... nothing.

Peter Gabriel doesn't get enough credit in the mainstream in general. He is well respected amongst major music enthusisits... but most audiences are pretty ignorant to classics like Solsbury Hill, Sledgehammer, Here Comes The Flood, Don't Give Up etc etc etc. His influence in the area of production can not be underrated as well.

Our Lady Peace have never got the mainstream attention that they deserve anywhere from what I can tell, despite churning out some of the better albums in the Rock genre in the past decade... particullarly Clumsy & Gravity... as well as an amazing concept album in Spiritual Machines.

I will probably think of more as it comes to hand. :hmm:

timothius said:

Yes! There is so much more to these guys than Bed's Are Burning... Earth, Sun & Moon, 10-1 and Blue Sky Mining are some of the best albums ever made. They were a blistering live act... top 5 for me for sure.

In America I would venture Crowded House never got the due that they were more than entitled to. The fact Woodface never got off the ground there proves without a doubt that the American charts were/are/and will always be a commercial clusterfuck. Every country in the Western world ate it up with a spoon yet America... nothing.

Peter Gabriel doesn't get enough credit in the mainstream in general. He is well respected amongst major music enthusisits... but most audiences are pretty ignorant to classics like Solsbury Hill, Sledgehammer, Here Comes The Flood, Don't Give Up etc etc etc. His influence in the area of production can not be underrated as well.

Unfortunately I never saw Midnight Oil live, they were on my list of acts to see. Freshman year in college I wrote a list, so far 3 of those bands have broken up...

Crowded House is a great addition to the list of under appreciated bands.

But I have to say Peter Gabriel got his time, he was huge in the 80's. I think Peter's problem is he may have gotten too much recognition for his videos, and some of his music got overlooked.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But I have to say Peter Gabriel got his time, he was huge in the 80's. I think Peter's problem is he may have gotten too much recognition for his videos, and some of his music got overlooked.

Yeah, he was all over the place here when So came out. Sledgehammer in particular was HUGE.

indra said:
Yeah, he was all over the place here when So came out. Sledgehammer in particular was HUGE.
yeah, i grew up on peter gabriel. he was all over the radio with songs from so as well as us. but like bvs said, i think more people remember his videos than his songs.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Unfortunately I never saw Midnight Oil live, they were on my list of acts to see. Freshman year in college I wrote a list, so far 3 of those bands have broken up...

Crowded House is a great addition to the list of under appreciated bands.

I was only able to see them because they reformed for one night only for a Tsunami benifit here. 8 songs... Read About It/Power & The Passion/Say Your Prayers/The Dead Heart/Beds Are Burning/King Of The Mountain/Forgotten Years/Best Of Both Worlds. Basically all we possibly could have wanted... aside from Blue Sky Mining.

My only real list was to see the Crowdies if ever they reformed... unfortunetly now that will never happen. :(

PG was huge in the 80's but I don't think that his music gets the cred that it should nowadays. It's hard to explain... but unless you are a fan, you really are unaware of his music. Maybe its because he isn't a media whore... unlike most 80's artists. I don't know. :S

Great thread :up:

timothius said:
PG was huge in the 80's but I don't think that his music gets the cred that it should nowadays. It's hard to explain... but unless you are a fan, you really are unaware of his music. Maybe its because he isn't a media whore... unlike most 80's artists. I don't know. :S
that, and it didn't help that he went 12 years without releasing an album. it's horrible that things like that matter. people should just look at the music but i suppose most of the hype surrounding him was gone. :(

KhanadaRhodes said:

that, and it didn't help that he went 12 years without releasing an album. it's horrible that things like that matter. people should just look at the music but i suppose most of the hype surrounding him was gone. :(

Are you talking Us -> Up which was about 9 years?

He still had the odd release in that time a live album or two... a couple of soundtracks and he did tour the tail off Secret World. Whatever it was... for todays youth it is a matter of Peter Who?

timothius said:
Are you talking Us -> Up which was about 9 years?

He still had the odd release in that time a live album or two... a couple of soundtracks and he did tour the tail off Secret World. Whatever it was... for todays youth it is a matter of Peter Who?
i couldn't remember the exact time. i know us came out in 92, but i can't remember exactly when up came out. oh well, it's still an abnormally long period of time in between albums. :wink:

yeah and i remember i saw a video or something for up and i was like "whoah he's aged" which for me is just a comment. i don't really care how musicians look. but unfortunately in this day and age, teens look at him like a carton of milk that's long since gone bad. it's sad how many artists there are unappreciated or underappreciated, be it for whatever reason. :sigh:

Here's another one: The Libertines.

Unfortunately most people on this board seem to read about Pete's latest tabloid scandal and thus immediately dislike the band without a) having heard a note of music or, b) hearing the music with pre-conceived biases.

i dislike the libertines and i have heard their music. doesn't do anything for me.

although i know a few people who do like them though.

Back
Top Bottom